86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Dropzone's 1994 4runner Build AKA: Project Recycle:

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 09:55 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
That's actually about where we are looking. probably spirit lake or further south by hayden or post falls. there's a beauty in all those evergreens you just don't get here in the valley. all summer long, even in non drought years, everything is dull, dusty brown and on fire half the time.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:02 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Now runs are a lot of fun!!! You ready to take the RedRumRunner wheelin Yet?
Old 12-11-2016, 06:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 465 Likes on 311 Posts
I gave the snow my best mom stare. It's staying north. So far.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:12 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by space-junk
That's actually about where we are looking. probably spirit lake or further south by hayden or post falls. there's a beauty in all those evergreens you just don't get here in the valley. all summer long, even in non drought years, everything is dull, dusty brown and on fire half the time.
Post Falls is pretty nice, just about any where would be cool. I have seen parts i could live in.
Originally Posted by 85toyman
Now runs are a lot of fun!!! You ready to take the RedRumRunner wheelin Yet?
i wish it was ready to go, been a year and half since i have hit the trails. 4Runner is still pretty stock unfortunately. My plan is to hopefully get it down to you sooner than later.
I am pretty sure I have all the stuff to do the SAS, I have LC coils and the brackets to do rear leafs just not sure which route I wanna go. Leaning towards the coils for now.
Originally Posted by habanero
I gave the snow my best mom stare. It's staying north. So far.
you may end up giving it the mom stare a lot this winter
Old 12-21-2016, 05:37 PM
Fossilized
Staff

OK so a couple of times in the last couple of weeks the transmission has shifted funky, as in truck hits 3500-4000 rpms randomly before the trans up shifts or downshifts.
It didn't start until the weather started getting cold.
Doing interweb research it could be a thermostat issue- factory thermostat is 195*, seems like most places sell a 180* thermostat so it looks like a trip to the dealership---uggghh
Or it could be shift solenoids. 198K on it so I think i am gonna replace the 3 solenoids, transmission filter and fluid.
perfect timing right before Christmas with family coming in from out of town so truck will sit.
ordering parts online so i will have them for just after the holidays..

found this on replacing the solenoids, looks pretty straight forward
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f166...cement-252389/

Last edited by dropzone; 12-22-2016 at 02:10 PM.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 465 Likes on 311 Posts
Good luck on the repair, stinkin' tranny.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:24 AM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Sweet, good job, yoyoyo

Old 12-22-2016, 02:42 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Originally Posted by habanero
Good luck on the repair, stinkin' tranny.
yep, timing is awesome. Thanks, hopefully it will go easy
Originally Posted by BigBluePile
Sweet, good job, yoyoyo

sure thing Logan
Old 12-22-2016, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dropzone
OK so a couple of times in the last couple of weeks the transmission has shifted funky, as in truck hits 3500-4000 rpms randomly before the trans up shifts or downshifts.
It didn't start until the weather started getting cold.
Doing interweb research it could be a thermostat issue- factory thermostat is 195*, seems like most places sell a 180* thermostat so it looks like a trip to the dealership---uggghh
Or it could be shift solenoids. 198K on it so I think i am gonna replace the 3 solenoids, transmission filter and fluid.
perfect timing right before Christmas with family coming in from out of town so truck will sit.
ordering parts online so i will have them for just after the holidays..

found this on replacing the solenoids, looks pretty straight forward
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f166...cement-252389/
Too bad... I just took a "was working fine when it threw a rod" A340 to the scrap yard. Sorry about your tranny.. timing sucks!
Old 12-25-2016, 06:39 AM
Fossilized
Staff

headlight warning buzzer 2nd gen link

Originally Posted by Reluctanse
Too bad... I just took a "was working fine when it threw a rod" A340 to the scrap yard. Sorry about your tranny.. timing sucks!
crap...

saving link for future reference
2nd gen headlightwarning buzzer thread

V-6 Vacuum Line info

Originally Posted by robertd33
​​​​​​​

Last edited by dropzone; 12-25-2016 at 07:14 AM.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:18 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Ordered some solenoids on ebay that will hopefully fix the transmission shifting issues
Name:  20161227_182444_zpsnvhrntrv.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  183.5 KB
Old 12-30-2016, 11:55 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have seen just a fluid and filter change make a big difference on a transmission. Never understood why they did not ever put a drain bolt on most pans. It always turned into a big mess for me as you have to lower one end of the pan to get the fluid out. It still goes everywhere.

See you posting links for future reference. These build threads can be one of the handiest reference materials available and one of the best kept secrets.
Old 12-31-2016, 06:01 AM

First post!
I really enjoy your choice of lighting mods dropzone! I have an identical 94, same color and everything except its a 5spd. Your build thread is providing a lot of inspiration and direction. This is my first 4wd suv, so I am a huge newbie Definitely gonna subscribe!
Old 12-31-2016, 07:40 AM

I honestly think murphy's law takes hold when guests come from out of town. I am guessing your fixes should take care of the issue. If not then its 5 spd swap time!!!!!
Old 01-01-2017, 11:59 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I have seen just a fluid and filter change make a big difference on a transmission. Never understood why they did not ever put a drain bolt on most pans. It always turned into a big mess for me as you have to lower one end of the pan to get the fluid out. It still goes everywhere.

See you posting links for future reference. These build threads can be one of the handiest reference materials available and one of the best kept secrets.
All my parts are in. So Monday or Tuesday I will tackle it. I am glad i took this week off. Gonna be a little chilly this week, but at least i won't be rushed too bad.
Good to know about the drain plug. I just sort of figured there would be one.
I have tried emailing links, book marking them and always forget so started saving them here, easy for me to find them
Originally Posted by waldo170
First post!
I really enjoy your choice of lighting mods dropzone! I have an identical 94, same color and everything except its a 5spd. Your build thread is providing a lot of inspiration and direction. This is my first 4wd suv, so I am a huge newbie Definitely gonna subscribe!
welcome to Yotatech
Glad you are getting some ideas. I figure if I make a mistake wiring something I can always put it back to normal.
I honestly think murphy's law takes hold when guests come from out of town. I am guessing your fixes should take care of the issue. If not then its 5 spd swap time!!!!!
That's for sure! Originally my daughter would have been driving the 4Runner during her visit but ended up with a rental.
I hope the solenoids do the trick. 5 speed swap would definitely push the SAS further out. I have a line on another auto semi cheap if I need it, I know of an R-151 but that looks will probably be sorta spendy..than converting to 23 spline output..Domino effect $$$wise.
Old 01-01-2017, 04:38 PM

I would throw one of these in the pan. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...JNQaAhrI8P8HAQ Will save your pain later on if you drain again. I've got one in my 'burb but repurposed for a temp sensor probe. Been in there for years and doesn't leak.

Real pain they don't put drain plugs in auto trannys!
Old 01-02-2017, 05:24 PM

Good thing it went when it did then. Glad she was in a rental and not it when it gave her problems.

If you pass on the R151, let me know. I would love to get another one, so both the Zrunner and Hilux can have R151's in them. I would tell you that I wouldn't pass the R151. SAS can come later.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:42 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Originally Posted by Reluctanse
I would throw one of these in the pan. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...JNQaAhrI8P8HAQ Will save your pain later on if you drain again. I've got one in my 'burb but repurposed for a temp sensor probe. Been in there for years and doesn't leak.

Real pain they don't put drain plugs in auto trannys!
I would love to put one in but need to get the truck on the road asap.
Good thing it went when it did then. Glad she was in a rental and not it when it gave her problems.

If you pass on the R151, let me know. I would love to get another one, so both the Zrunner and Hilux can have R151's in them. I would tell you that I wouldn't pass the R151. SAS can come later.
I guess I have a hard time paying more for a transmission than I paid for the whole truck. The pros of the R151 would be cool, but as I get older I am sorta liking an automatic. I'll let you know about the trans. It is a guy at work whose 87 Turbo Auto 4runner took a dump. He was going to convert to stick but I think he is gonna just sell the 4runner. If his price includes the transfer case that would be even more tempting. I'll find out when I go back to work, been on vacation last 2 weeks.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:44 PM

Cool

Originally Posted by dropzone
I would love to put one in but need to get the truck on the road asap.

I guess I have a hard time paying more for a transmission than I paid for the whole truck. The pros of the R151 would be cool, but as I get older I am sorta liking an automatic. I'll let you know about the trans. It is a guy at work whose 87 Turbo Auto 4runner took a dump. He was going to convert to stick but I think he is gonna just sell the 4runner. If his price includes the transfer case that would be even more tempting. I'll find out when I go back to work, been on vacation last 2 weeks.
Coolio
Old 01-04-2017, 08:57 AM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Grab the r150 while you can

Roger the grab it while you can. I have a 94 parts runner that I got cheap ("runs and drives" Not!) for the motor (which turned out to be trash) and it had the 5 in it. Just wouldn't go into R (sticks collided with transfer case stick) Never could figure out wth. /long story - would hijack the thread. So a few months ago b4 I got sent out of town for what turned out to be 5 weeks, there was someone very nearby with a low miles for cheap. Unfortunately, I was sick for a few days, and some one else snapped it up. Now I'm on the hunt again.

Wailing and knashing of teeth.

Quick Reply: Dropzone's 1994 4runner Build AKA: Project Recycle: