86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

dakotawho's 1987 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 04:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah got my powersteering bled, man you don't know how nice it is until you ain't got it lol So nice to have it back.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:44 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by dakotawho
Yeah got my powersteering bled, man you don't know how nice it is until you ain't got it lol So nice to have it back.
Yeah, bleed and replaced with. .... ATF! LOL... My box literally failed from steering fluids being used, anddddddd the pump, now that I think back....Grrrrr! Hehehe.

Congrats!
Old 01-14-2013, 03:18 PM

Yeah, bleed and replaced with. .... ATF! LOL... My box literally failed from steering fluids being used, anddddddd the pump, now that I think back....Grrrrr! Hehehe.

Congrats!
You did what chef? ATF in power steering?
Anyways got an antenna installed today, the old one was broke off.

A lot of work with the truck might slow up....kinda overwhelmed with college stuff....gotta fill out my FASFA and talk to counselors and stuff to get me on track....not sure what i wanna do yet:/
Old 01-14-2013, 03:22 PM

A lot of work with the truck might slow up....kinda overwhelmed with college stuff....gotta fill out my FASFA and talk to counselors and stuff to get me on track....not sure what i wanna do yet:/
HA! Me too fella. Applying for college and actually trying senior year can pull you away from your truck. All my truck truck funds went to SAT/ACT tests and college apps, stuff is EXPENSIVE!

Sent from my iPhone using YotaTech
Old 01-14-2013, 03:26 PM

Well i did my cab swap for my senior project, so i definitely made time for the truck aha! Yeah i took the SAT twice, did worse the second time lol, i'm gonna do the community college thing for the first two years though, not because i can't make it into a four year school, but to save some money and stay close to home for a little while.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:34 PM

You did what chef? ATF in power steering?
Anyways got an antenna installed today, the old one was broke off.

Hmmmmm, me is hoping mr dakota knows that THE MAJORITY of older Toyota's?......... They take "ATF ONLY" A in their steering systems. ....

I used steering fluid in my system and it failed within a year thereafter. The pump was original, and the gear box too. The pump started leaking and then the box just simply failed. I got a donor, flushed the whole system, including the box and its smooth as butter to date running only ATF.......... just was making sure u knew that..... Many dont, as its usually worn off or hard to read on the pump reservoir top, beside the lid.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:02 PM

I didn't know that.....So what your saying is....I put power steering fluid in the power steering resorvoir(BLEEP)....when i should've put ATF?
Old 01-14-2013, 07:21 PM

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/power-steering-fluid-atf-dexron-2-different-164836/

Just an example of how often this is discussed... From personal experience with this I feel it was too much a coincidence that ps fluid was used and it shortly thereafter began to leak like a pig and ultimately grenade-goes-the-box! Lol... Its a good thing u found out now , not bad, look at it that way, right?
Old 01-14-2013, 07:30 PM

The reason given by Toyota is that they are seals that are degraded by the chemical compound within P.S. fluid, similar to the reaction caused by allowing oil based products or solvents to get into the break system (causes the seals to swell).also, atf is very good at trapping moisture within its molecular structure (IIRC)
Old 01-15-2013, 01:50 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Power Steering fluid is a no no. I will make these truck leak bad. ATF fluid is what is recommended by Toyota. I used to work on alot of differnent equipment and when someone used alot of the typical lubricating oils out there, it would alot of times eat up the plastic. I used tranny fluid and never had any problem. If you ever have to lubricate platic gears, or something similar, use tranny fluid.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:47 AM

So it sounds like i need to be draining and swapping the fluid?...Wonderful haha, least i found out now before it made a real mess under the hood. Thanks Chef, I owe ya one! Pretty sure you just saved my butt some trouble. I just assumed....power steering, oh i need power steering fluid. But if i would have looked in my haynes manual beforehand i would've noticed to use ATF...
Old 01-15-2013, 09:49 AM

My pleasure, sir! I did quite a bit of research on this subject. .. Its in my build thread and I might have done the thread dedicated to just that subject. I'm not sure, I'll try to find time to look into the threads that I've done and see if it's there, okay? There's a pretty detailed process as 2 how 2 transfuse 1 fluid for another. It's a bit of a pain in the rump, but it will be well worth it, trust me. Even the Haynes manual, if I remember correctly, shows how to flush the fluid and replace it with a new batch.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:58 AM

Thanks chef! Stupid rainy day here cant really work on the truck
Old 01-15-2013, 10:26 AM

hey Dakota, I looked for a few minutes for those postings, which went on for a few. I can't seem to find them. I'm on my note2, which I'm just learning to use fairly well, and which does have lots of capability and good pictures it etc, but the problem is my thread is so long that I can't find it therein.

either way, there are lots of write ups on this and plenty of tutorials, including the Haynes and factory service manual, which explain how to flush out the old fluid and replace it with new.

it's not a huge big deal, just a bit of a pain in the b***
Old 01-15-2013, 10:37 AM

Thats fine, i'll find something somewhere. And look at chef moving up in the world looking at YT on his phone.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:25 AM

Thats fine, i'll find something somewhere. And look at chef moving up in the world looking at YT on his phone.
hahahahaha, yeah, I finally had to do this. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean had to do it as in it stinks, he he he. I justI hate these types of purchases. I mean, this is 1 of the most stressful bits of research before a purchase that I've ever done! Hahaha. Knowing nothing about a droid, but being fairly apt with windows, I'm catching on for early quickly.

I'm going to do a post about my feelings about smartphones, oops, I mean smarter than me phones, hahaha. But for now, back to ur nice work!
Old 01-16-2013, 04:43 PM

Still trying to fix my horn, idk why it won't work, i've swapped horns....even touched the plunger thing with metal and no workie...
Old 01-16-2013, 09:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well plug a test light into the horn relay spot see if the horn button in the wheel is making contact when pushed eliminate that then the relay or wiring tween it an the horn is at fault
Old 01-17-2013, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I would try a test light from the 11 oclck pin to the steering shaft and think it should light up. If it does then I would just have to start tracing wires. Might check that you have the connectors on the bottom of the steering wheel shaft (remove lower cover) and make sure it is making a good connections.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:16 AM

Hey Dakota, both Terry and Williams suggestions are good place to start, but have you made sure that you don't have 12 volt juice to the connector, right at the horn? I got 2 horns from the yard out of 5 that did not work. If I missed you already commenting on this, I apologize. Just running around, no time to read backwards, and decided to throw that out there. I know, I know, pretty obvious, and you probably already checked that, but just in case, hahaha. Hope you're doing well!

Quick Reply: dakotawho's 1987 Pickup Build-Up Thread