86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

dakotawho's 1987 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, thanks cyberhorn! Hopefully get her going tomorrow, taking the battery charger and all. She started before i did all this so i say with some gas and effort, im gonna hear her purr tomorrow!
Old 01-02-2013, 08:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
with the carb trucks you pump the peddle once to set the choke after you feed her a bit of gas just a reminder
good luck! an heres a early cheer she pops right over
Old 01-03-2013, 03:07 PM

No start today:/
Just kept cranking, sounded better while it was cranking.

Maybe the fuel lines under the new cab are clogged?
Perhaps its the cold weather?
Ima keep trying another day or so, trying to stay away from starting fluid. always heard bad stuff about it, like once you use it, it always wants it
Old 01-03-2013, 03:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Subscribed!
Old 01-04-2013, 12:53 PM

nah old mechanics tale on the starting fluid give her a shot just to see if shes getting spark an spins over just dont flood it like fogging the house LOL

definitely take an air hose an blow the fuel lines back to the tank (open the gas cap) cant hurt an it'll make sure their clear
Old 01-05-2013, 02:44 PM

Well guys... NO STARTING FLUID/ETHER REQUIRED!!!

It turns out...that you need to be very careful when your messing with the distributor.... and when you put it back, you need to check things....this kid didn't know that when he moved it previously to do something in the mist of my swap....I had my distributor a full 180 degrees off.... so it was on number 4 spark and not number one... didn't have a socket to turn the motor so i had to do it manually, by turning the pulleys(she gets tight at times) Thanks to wheeliePete's video on youtube (Link at bottom) i now know how to correctly set the distributor, and hopefully don't forget Got in the truck thinking....this probably didn't help.

As soon as i turned the key....vrrrrroooooooommmm(super high idle) thought that maybe that was because the truck was so cold....i had the thing that holds the throttle cable adjusted wrong. No heater core leaks or any of that and a blow you out heater, so i'm ready to put that dang dash back together!

Haven't got to move it....stupid snow and ice on ground but it starts everytime!

One question though guys, i hooked up my cluster.... and it is not showing rpms... Any help here? Might search here in a little

Distributor install/removal link:
That link

Old 01-05-2013, 04:36 PM

Here's a walkaround/startup of the truck....for your viewing/laughing pleasure

http://s919.beta.photobucket.com/use...O0016.mp4.html
Old 01-05-2013, 08:46 PM

well some of the trucks need to run a wire out to the coil tach plug as they didnt have the tach option (the carbed trucks mostly) it connects to a terminal on the back of the tach at the cluster um... thinking... terry has that picture on one of his threads shows which terminal on the tach an the green plug on the coil

its an easy fix
Old 01-06-2013, 03:16 AM

That explains why the original cab had a wire in the plug your talking about, you know it s funny..... I bet over 75% of my problems encountered, terry has a write up/solution somewhere....its just a matter of finding it:p

Im off to do community service for government class....should br back around lunch then having a date with my truck
Old 01-06-2013, 04:41 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Here is how I did mine for the tach. (below) I am slowly working on a long thread that hhopefully will make it easier for others for alot of the common and uncommon problems I found. It isnt organized and I am still adding to it. Here is its link. Will have to dig thr it but I will eventually get it looking better. Mostly starts on post #362>>> https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...5/index15.html

Tach info.
This truck didnt come with the SR5 guage so I added it. If your truck is not Plug and Play like some are, you need to run a wire from the negative side of the coil to the little "p" to make the tach work.

Then what I did so as not to short out the electrical run beside it. I placed a piece of electrical tape over the little "p" and crimped a wire to the smallest connector that I could find.

I then ran a wire to the negative side of the coil, on a carburator coil it is a little different then a standard coil you are most used to seeing. This is a temporary connection til I can come up with a better connection for it later on.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:46 AM

Hopefully get that worked out today... It was set up like that before....i just didnt realize that wire was for the tach.....i thought it was power for the radar detector that used to be in the truck ahahaha
Old 01-06-2013, 04:07 PM

Subscribed!
Awesome!

Well terry, you have helped me out a lot... I appreciate it so much....with this post....i'm hoping to help you! About time right? lol

Okay, i was "fixing" my tach problem...went to the old cab unplugged that wire that plugged in at the coil....i follow it, and wonder why it didn't come out with the cluster(assuming it would've been done how you had it, beings it had been swapped). Well to my surprise...it's in the wiring harness that plugs into the cluster...what the heck!

This is the end that goes to the coil

Notice the black wire in this pic, it's not there from the factory....that's where my wire went....did it on my other truck in a attempt to get the tach to work....and it worked!
So maybe this is a way for you to have a cleaner setup for your tach to work!

I hope this helps, although i might try it, and see if there is any difference, perhaps your way is more, effective/accurate or visa-versa

On a side note. I got all the interior put back together today. Forgot to plug up the dimmer plug....dangit, noticed after i finished. Have to un jerry rig the speaker wiring sometime. Thank the lord that none of my harnesses, had been butchered too badly, got most of them fixed back up with the plugs from the other truck. Also have to figure out why my front turn signals aren't working, might be an unplugged fuse or something...gonna look on here.

Tomorrow shall be brake booster removal....and maybe revacumming interior! Might post some pics later...

Last edited by dakotawho; 01-06-2013 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Forgot Pic
Old 01-07-2013, 01:45 AM

Well guys made up my presentation for my cab swap(have to present to my senior class) pretty cool i guess....just a lotta pics, gonna talk about it without notes....which i can because i ve ate slept and breathed this truck the past couple of months...
Totaled my hours....I'm seventeen and slow and did most of it by myself. I will have right at 50 hours when i'm done, a lot of hour here two hour there sessions. Might try and get the presentation up so you all can see
Old 01-07-2013, 01:41 PM

pictures look good terry also has posts on how to fix the cracks in the dash too
Old 01-07-2013, 04:02 PM

Thanks, that's not of major importance quite yet... used to the lovely crack.... gonna get the brakes in working order and put a carb kit on carb so it isn't so bad too start....and a tune up....has spark plugs from 02 lol
Old 01-07-2013, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by dakotawho
Thanks, that's not of major importance quite yet... used to the lovely crack.... gonna get the brakes in working order and put a carb kit on carb so it isn't so bad too start....and a tune up....has spark plugs from 02 lol
oh my 79 has plugs from 2K LOL if they fire an the ends arent melted off its all good
Old 01-08-2013, 05:11 AM

But it wont hurt it though she could use a little loving.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by dakotawho
But it wont hurt it though she could use a little loving.
well yes. lol
Old 01-08-2013, 02:07 PM

RAGE!

Haha i cannnot figure out why my turn signals up front aren't working and then the horn. I'm feeling something isn't grounded right or something. The wiring goes from the turn signal lights then to the horn. Need to get a multimeter and check it out. My blinkers work on the tach and they work on the tail end of the truck. But up front, they will not blink for nothing, not with hazards, nor with signals... been looking at threads but a lot of them just seem to be unanswered or a little different than what i'm experiencing. They worked fine before this swap.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:19 PM

check the connector for the harness on the drivers fender i had to move mine for repairs an things like the horn signals an ect all of course stopped working its right behind the airbox headlight area (EFI) not sure whats over in that corner on a carb engine

Quick Reply: dakotawho's 1987 Pickup Build-Up Thread