86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

dakotawho's 1987 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That woulda helped on the first dashpad, i destroyed it haha, you live and ya learn it was rough anyway, this will make it a lot easier the second time!

Anyways yesterday i removed the seat and carpet, vacumed it out, lot of misc stuff under the carpet, found a little rust in the firewall prob gonna do some sort of repair there and a few small not so bad places, just gonna grind those out and put some sort of rust inhibitor on them. For the time being i just hit the carpet with the air compressor, cleaned up pretty good for that little effort, cant wait to see what it looks like when i put some time into it. Seen where someone took theres to the car wash, might try that.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
subscribing

from the looks of things your doing great with things
as for rust holes you can do two things after derusting the area
weld or fiberglass

dont put bondo directly on bare steel it will rust out as bondo actually absorbs moisture if your patching a hole with the fiberglass type its okay as the resins are waterproof

etching primer can be used on cleaned previously rusted metal an will make a much better seal preventing further rust then painted over with other primers prior to painting

actually know a guy that recovered an abandoned boat from a river fixed the huge hole in the bottom using bondofiberglass repair an still uses it for fishing
Old 12-13-2012, 05:56 PM

Well got the dashpad off the other truck, still broke the stupid brittle vent! Oh well Anyways today i got the dashpad all off,(deep well sockets help) i put in a oh crap handle in on the drivers side. I also swapped the grab handles you use to close the doors, apparently there interchangeable from door to door, so two perfect door grabs! Whoop Whoop

Another project i did today was work on my grill, it's definitely 25 years old, but i tried reviving some luster from her

All i did, was goes over it with some steel wool, cleaning up areas where some algae like thing had gunked up and just going over the whole gril. Then i went over it all with a wet rag and let dry. Then i used some turtle wax chrome polish. I put it on a cloth, rubbed it all over the grill and let sit for a couple minutes. After a few minutes i went over it with a wet rag. Then finally i went over it with a dry rag, it definitely brought stuff off because i had to change my spot on the rag occasionally because of how much dirt was on it.

Before

Finished product

Probably can't tell too much from the pics but its definitely different in person. It shines a lot more! haha my sister is modeling the grill.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:01 PM

definitely lookin better!
Old 12-13-2012, 07:18 PM

Its coming along, tomorrow i'm going to go bleed the slave cylinder and brake lines hopefully(was the plan today but didn't have enough brake fluid) and snag the corner lights up front so i can clean the chrome on them.

Cant wait to hear it crank again!
Old 12-25-2012, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Looks like you are still getting things done. Wont be long and you will have it started.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:20 AM

Well merry christmas everyone, it truly was a good christmas for my 87 she got two new front fenders, a cd organizer thing and a gallon of por 15! And possibly seat covers?(guessing)
Old 12-25-2012, 10:22 AM

Just an update, the slave cylinder has been bled. Consulting with terry about a few things. Hope to have it wrapped up real soon, as long as this snow doesnt stop me!
Old 12-26-2012, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Just checking in and seeing how things are going? You running the wheels off of it yet??lol.. Hope the weather isnt holding you up.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:30 PM

Well i have a few tedious thimgs left. (bleed brakes, drill out a few bolts, bleed power steering, finish the dash but im waiting to drive before i do that.)

But with probably 4 inches of snow on the ground/truck im kind of at a stand still. But yes i did want to.run the wheels off of it....especially in this snow:/
Old 01-02-2013, 05:40 AM

Well yesterday was interesting...haha

Got all my broke/stuck bolts out! Thank you pb blaster! and my step dad, he's good at things like that
Hooked everything up in the engine compartment, all done up there except bleeding power steering bleeding.
Finally got around to sticking the battery in her....ssssssssss POP....rut ro.
My 80 amp fuse blew....looked at the harness to the fuse, looked homemade, ended up swapping the harness out of the old cab, went and got another fuse. No pop this time!
Go open the door and hear the wonderful wwwwrrrrrrreeeeeee noise. Go to start it and all i hear is click. Swap all my fuses and relays over, swap starter relay. Still clicks, investigate a little bit and evidentally i knocked the plug off the starter when swapping out that harness. Got in it.....crank crank crank! woo hoo! Which is a start, i know its gonna be hard to start, always has been and its been sitting 2 and a half months over the span of this project. Gonna put some gas in the carb here soon and try and get it started.

Keep hearing a clunkish noise, Think maybe its the exhaust backfiring? Gotta have someone start it, while i attempt to find the noise.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:23 AM

cranking is a good sign!
Old 01-02-2013, 11:41 AM

definitely I'm going to try and put some gas in the carburetor today and get it running
Old 01-02-2013, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Will be checking in to see what your results are. Carbs do like to evaporate the fuel after such a long time sitting. Once you get it running, my old 22r, I would give 3 pumps of the gas pedal and it would fire right off. One fast starting little truck.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:20 PM

Well didnt get to mess with that too much....stupid battery died when trying to start. Got the hood put on, swapped the wiper arms and few other random things

Not an expert on carbs....far from it
When putting gas in the carb, where do i put it?
I have everything stock, do i just take that pan off and put it down in there, if so which side there, the one on the left....if you were looking towards the back of the truck appears to be maybe cold start? Only works when pumping pedal near floor. Im assuming the other one is just for normal operation
Old 01-02-2013, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

What I do is put a little on each side or where the butterfly flap is. That will actually flood it. The way you unflood a carburator is to hold the accelerator pedal to floor and crank it.

You may have some fuel lines empty as well so it may start and then die, but the fuel pump will start pulling fuel from the tank. May need to do this a few times to get fuel flowing.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:06 PM

Okay im in the right place, couldnt find my haynes book thid evening.to.save my life.

And you said only a few teaspoons right?
Old 01-02-2013, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I always go with 3 to 5 or so. If everything is timed right and just needing fuel, you will know right off as it will try and start.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:21 PM

Should i put the metal.cover back on before i try to start it
Old 01-02-2013, 07:38 PM

absolutely

it prevents an airhorn fire which can damage the carb so definately put the air cleaner back on when priming a carb or doing this kind of starting

Quick Reply: dakotawho's 1987 Pickup Build-Up Thread