86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 09:06 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I also have pics from when I did the Auto Locking Hub Conversion to Warn Premium Manual Lockers, new rotors and Calipers, etc. They're on an External HD(THANK GOD) from when my computer DIED, .....so I just have to load em up and I'll put that on here, too.

Any admin's think I need to change the name of this thread, please, feel free to scold me and change it, lol.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:49 AM

Any more input? Beuller? lol....Jk, ....Sorry, I just want all the Advanced Technician advice I can get, ....thought the pics might give me more advice.....Also, I have the full day to get sump'n sump'n really done, so, wondered about the coloration of my top end,...what ppl thought of the valves appearance, .....any advice on the steering leak(or how to test), CAT Checking, etc.,etc..... Thanks in advance!
Old 05-03-2010, 10:38 AM

Bump(did I use that right, here? lol...sorry if not)

...No one? Sorry, just that it's 11:30am and, as you can see, I'm moving right along...just was hoping for a lil more input/advice
Old 05-03-2010, 11:07 AM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you're looking good to me... I was gonna offer an opinion on how to clean your cat, but this is prolly better...

http://www.ehow.com/how_5858278_clea...ood-stove.html

I'll read through this more and see if I missed anything...
Old 05-03-2010, 11:38 AM

So, anything on those other questions, Tried? The timing assembly, coloration, all seals, rings, head? Appreciate your time. Wish I was in TN right now...., I'd take you up on that ID tag, haha.

PS> Wood oven? lol....Hmmm, I'd never have thought that. I'm wondering, however, if it would be better to get a highflow cat for the header w/bigger pipes to CAT, then get a better muffler and larger pipe out the back of it, as Ted from Engine Builder has mentioned. I'm really just trying to get a LIL more power up hills. Nothing huge, just enough to not have to ride in 3rd Gear up everything. I know, gearing can help some, but the one I drove that had 30k ORIG. on it(I KNOW!) was stock and FLEW up my hills around here(they're pretty decent steepness).
Old 05-03-2010, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engines aren't my specialty, looks like you know a lot more about that stuff than I do, Lol. Once I ever tear into my motor, it'll be because I'm doing a motor swap, until then I'm not planning on messing with mine at all. As far as I know, the color of the timing gear is ok, and as for the steering box, mine is pretty good and covered in junk and is also leaking fluid slowly, so I'm just gonna replace it with a new one because its leaking from around the pitman arm. Sorry I can't help with much else on the motor. Looks like your doing pretty well though!
Old 05-03-2010, 08:50 PM

Thanks, Moze, and by the way, ...I plan on hitting the Dirty Sock and the Dunes for my break in, some time in a couple weeks, I'm assuming. Plus whatever time it takes ME to install it. But, no worries, I've marked everything as well as I can, and photoed everything as well. Made templates for bolt patterns such as the bell housing, and I'm not too worried about getting it back together. Actually, Moze, I'm REALLY kinda brand new to being this deep into this motor. However, ...it was time, and.........

After a GREAT neighbor saw me out there, he came and offered some help, today, ....RIGHT WHEN I NEEDED IT, and even brought the Hoist you'll see in the pics I'm about to put below this. His good friend came by, who happens to be one of the most respected Japanese Auto Mechanics in Los Angeles, and HE ALSO spent about 40 Minutes going through what he could, did a leak down, etc., and told me, "IT'S TIME, Bro....don't pass on that deal, and I know Him, he's a GREAT machinist that I use, often. I'd choose him, for that deal, over a quote "NEW" engine from some of these places, any day. In fact, I've had to return MANY '30,000 mile-straight from Japan Engines' in the last couple years....so I'm losing faith in them, as well. This guy will COMPLETELY bring you to brand new specs, and, well, he'll also go above and beyond with some things that the more 'mass produced' places seem to hurry past. Nothing against many of them,...there are some good ones. But, if you want my professional opinion....YANK IT RIGHT NOW, while you're this far along."

DANG did I need that! Someone, highly skilled, to give me advice as to making a choice, finally! And FREE, TO BOOT!

So, here we are, as of now, with a couple lil pics of some CRAZY stuff I found along the way today.........

My steering pump and bracket is actually MUCH worse than this shows...but I was in a hurry and HAD HELP, so I ignored getting more pics.

As you can see.....it leaks a bit on the passenger side from the timing Cover to Head and Cover area, as well! lol.....

OH YEAH, ...this was nice to find, after finding that STUPID exhaust bolt set up the guy had done!.........

YEP, that's the crank bolt....AND THE IDIOT REUSED IT! I mean, c'mon! lol. HOWEVERRRRRRR, it was actually helpful for my situation....as it just air-wrenched right off, two clicks-then "ZSHHHHHWINGGGGG", lol

Started all the Housing Bolts, then tied the sucker up with a Hungarian Hoop to the torsion bars.......

Here is one of the two notorious 'OMGOSH, THESE DANG BELL HOUSING BOLTS!!!'.....And, I have to say, they were tight, but CAKE. Just used a 17 angled closed end wrench, slipped another open end over the teeth/between, and 'POP', she broke free. I'll post some pics for future referrance, when putting them back on....just so people who are struggling wont have to.....Here is the location....and yes, it's a PITA, but not once I decided, "SCREW this lying on the ground with a 2'foot wabble extension!!!" lol. .......

Off came the bell housing bolts....

Then the Hood...........

Then I YOINKEDEDED the Sucka......lol..........

I think I can show that I've maintained this thing, very well, over the last 140k and nearly 9 years.....

And that is why I've decided to do this, ....to know more about what I'm driving, what makes it work and ...well, NOT WORK, lol. I LOVE this truck, and while some day, sure, I might do an SAS, and I will DEFINITELY do some performance mods(as long as they aren't HARD on this thing)....I will NOT turn it into some of the awesome machines I see on this site and others. I REALLY am hoping to get it up a bit, maybe 32x11.5's, .....install my header and some intake/air stuff I'm figuring out, but I want to keep her as close to stock as possible, without having to do huge gears, etc. THAT, however, I WOULD like to do on a project, if I can find one for cheap(not likely in Cali...ppl don't seel those 84 and 85 SFA's, either....not often. Anyway, ....THANKS, guys, for some of the encouragement I got......I promise, I'll get some pics as I throw the new 'HEART' in her, lol.

Mark, ....wishing you all HAPPY, DIRTY, FILTHY......Roadin! lol.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 05-03-2010 at 08:56 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:01 PM

Oh yeah, btw.....notice anything about the "Bell Housing" Template I made? .........
>
>
>
>
>
>
>Right when assisting from the bottom, about the have him slide it forward/along with a lil lift....I noticed that template, right across from me on the ground. "HOLY CRAP, STOP!" I exclaimed, lol. "The Bolt behind the Clutch slave....I put the tools here, but when moving the clutch slave I plum forgot it!" He chuckled, then "YOINK", and voila....out she came. MAN that was REALLY fun! I truly enjoyed it, and I really enjoy this site, as well. It's help me to figure many things out and decide against certain things as well.

Take care, guys, have a great week!
Old 05-03-2010, 09:04 PM

OH yeah....YES, to those who asked me in PM.....the garage DOES indeed have a front and back door. I back it up in Summer to near the pool and BLAST AWAY some healthy tunes....chill with a cold bev-mo, and grill up some steaks! ....yeah, when I'm not slaving over the grill for clients! lol.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:45 PM

I'm wondering what you guys think on a few things....however, I'm not getting many hits, so I'll just fish the web as well. What I'm wondering is, ..."Is it best to stick with a factory type clutch? The one I pulled out is a good one, but I'm going to have the flywheel done, and I might as well replace the clutch--pressure plat, disc and bearing(150k minimum on all three)"

I'm also hoping to hear some personal experiences with some things....So I'll fish around on here for "Air Intake Systems", "Throttle Body Kits-Are they worth it?", "WHAT IS THE BEST way to lift my truck a lil bit without TOO much money,....but not cheap. I'm talking the '400.00 to 1200.00 range', depending on what I can get for what."

I know there is stuff on here, but I just get, oh what is that saying I love so much....."LOST IN A SEA OF SUB-FORUMS!", so any thoughts-shared would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:07 AM

Hey guys, any thoughts? Not trying to be impatient, it's just that I'll be taking the motor in for the whole shebang, and depending on when I get it back, I might not have much time to get some things done before needing to re-install the motor. Besides the clutch(still wondering which is the best clutch for these?), what other things should I do while I have the heart out of the thing? I also thought about doing a lift while the motor's out, .....would it be easier for them?

Was wondering also about that Bored Throttle body and Cold Air intake to go with my header and new ported head that's coming.....is that Throttle body upgrade worth it? Does it work doing that without doing the bored upper intake and intake body?

The main question is whether to go with an already ported and OS Valve/Cam head, or just have the machinist do it. He said, "As we go, you can decide what you want to do with the head, and I'll adjust the head and lower end, accordingly. I do some special prepping of the motor that some larger shops just don't usually do, but with the head and valves OS, we'll need to adjust some things....let me know". So, is it best to just get him the head or to just let him do the whole thing, porting and all?
Old 05-04-2010, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great project! Good luck and I commend you on taking on such a feat! You'll have to get video up when you hit the dunes with this thing after it's 'done'!
Old 05-04-2010, 01:12 PM

Thanks Kovz...I thought for sure mentioning the "Dunes" and "Olancha" would bring out the Ridgecrest Desert Rats.......guess not, lol.

Hoping to get this thing back in and running within a couple weeks(depending on machinist and TED(head maybe?), LCE(Throttle Body), and going to try and make my own Cold Air Intake. My neighbor is a good mechanic/contractor, and even a better fabricator. Hoping to get him interested in either a Battery/AFM swap or just a Cold Air intake set up that he can 'invent', lol.

Anyone ever try the Spectre Kits? My friend has one that is LARGE capacity and looks nice, and he did it for like 80$, total, with K&N filter.

Bueller? lol.....ahhhhhh
Old 05-04-2010, 02:23 PM

Ok, well, thanks anyway.

I've just been turned on to a rebuilder who's considered to be, by many, the best machinist/COMPLETE rebuilders in LA County. My Brother owns Enviroserv, one of the larger HazMat Co's in CA, and his businesses personal mechanic(also very respected), turned me on to these guys, who gave me TONS of information, clearing up some real myths that I've heard on many of the Toy sites, mainly as to what is a waste of money and what's not, etc. Not only that, but he's picking up my motor, no charge, and will bring it back as well, fully balanced and blueprinted w/flywheel and clutch attached, ready to go.(they're hopefully picking it up tonight, latest tomorrow morning....YEAH, BABY!)

Not only that, but he's going to do it at my Brothers Mechanic's rate, almost 1/3 LESS THAN ANYWHERE ELSE I've spoken to. Also, ....it's about 10 miles away, and with the added bonus of them picking it up, I'M ECSTATIC!

I'll update when I get going here. Thanks for the input I did get....good luck with all of your projects. I'm anxiously watching some of them, ...intently. Learning alot, too.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
looking good man!

as far as your pm to me; if you have the money to do so, I most certainly would reccomend the engnbldr head; I LOVED mine; superb quality from those guys. You figure, it's got that many miles on it, so the head needs to be overhauled, which means lapping the valves, machining, and PREFERRABLY new cam shaft and springs; the new engbldr head comes all done and ready to bolt on, WITH a better cam (of your choice), higher rate springs (to help with that came), AND oversized valves and ports to help with flow, which = a little more HP and MPG

as far as the cat, yeah it sux that you in in Cali, otherwise I'd just say gut it I high flow WOULD be a good addition to a header (plus high-flow cat's contain less pallidium than a standard cat, so theaves are typically less likely to snatch them when they see FLOWMASTER or something written on them ). For pipe size, I think everyone would agree on 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 as being the best all around size for the piping for these motors

But it's looking really good man! You're taring into that thing in a hurry! lol

Any plans for painting and/or a color scheme?

Old 05-04-2010, 02:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
oh and WTF is this?

Old 05-04-2010, 06:17 PM

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
hey buddy, lookin and soundin good as usual. my personal opinion, great idea getting the motor redone. you seem like the kind of guy who likes to do it really right, and only doing the top end refresh would have hurt later.
doing something with the air intake would definitely complement the extra exhaust flow you will have, spending tons of cash on one wouldn't be nearly as cool as working with your neighbor on a battery/afm swap and hooking it up with a little custom tube would be sweet.
you decide on a clutch yet? marlin has some good deals on aisin units, thats what i have and it has been great, no complaints.
and did you figure out what to do about the head, get one done or have the builder do it? would he like flow match, port, etc.?

Last edited by de6w6it; 05-04-2010 at 06:25 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:01 PM

Heyyy, some cool peeps, Dewit and Bleeder! lol.....First off, I have to answer your question, Bleeder("WTF IS THAT?"), hahahahaha, ...HAHAHAHAHAAHAH! That, my friend, is my Halloween Mask! It's HILLARY, GUARANTEED TO SCARE THE CRAP OUT OF YOU and rape you of all the candy you have!!! lol.

Yeah, Bleeder, I'm talking to the shop, tomorrow morning, after they pick it up for free! Regarding the 'head work', I mean. He said I could do fine with just a mild cam grind(or new) and then completely rebuild the head along with the rest, w/out porting it out, etc., ....as long as I do the header, maybe the bored throttle body from LCE(can't find one anywhere else......for less than THREE HUNDRED AND THIRTY DOLLARS)....SORRY, that just seemed more dramatic with all caps and spelling it out! lol. I'll see what he says. He has one of THE BEST reps in LA county, and he's told me that here, in CA, he's seen people do that porting, TB, Cold Air system, ....then not pass smog. But not always, just depending on HOW MUCH those people do, he said. But, as long as it wont wear on the motor, wont effect my 8 years of perfect records with the Smog Cert's, ....I'm all for a lil more pep....heck, that's why I got the header.

As far as I can see, from most engineers like Ted, etc., doing that to the head does more with 'torque' than high end. My problem is really more HILLS! lol. So, we'll see what he says and then I'll go from there. But, for now, I've cleaned and painted my mounts, lower support arms/brackets for the Motor to Bell H. mounting, cleaned about 50 bolts and nuts to SPANKIN NEW look, and I'll be doing that to every connector, knock sensor, etc.

They'll be completely 'rinsing' my intake and throttle body, too. Soooo, with the like new condition Injectors(all at 186-188 and 'excellent'), with the header, totally reamed out intake and TB, ....and, um, about 58 LBS OF DIRT OFF THIS THING, ...I should be better there, already, eh? lol

Yeah, Dewit, Haven't decided on the battery/afm swap, yet. I want to have it done when the motor get's back, ...but I'm in no huge hurry to get it back in, immediately....ya know? Wanna do this right 120%, and yes, that's how I am with everything. NOPE< not bragging, lol...it's actually a curse sometimes. Some call it, oh, what is that.....OCD? lol, jk. Yeah, though, I figure, .....like my daddy said, "Boy, if you're gonna do a half ass job.......one-I'm not gonna pay ya, and two, you'll just hate yourself, later, when it's your stuff! Now DO IT RIGHT, the first time, or just let it rot!". hahaha.

Any ideas on the lift question? I don't wanna climb rocks....just get it up a bit. (3"? maybe 4"?), slip some 32x11.5 BFG's on there, then eventually repaint it, darker and with a lil metallic flake in it. But, regarding the lift, I DON'T WANT TO SPEND THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS! I'm thinking of just replacing the springs and adding a ZUK in back(think my Rancho's are still good....I'll check em out). But the FRONT ON IFS? I'm really confused! I keep hearing Trail Gear, but MAN, I didn't see anything really less than doing a whole Pro-Comp kit or something, front and rear. I don't wanna be cheap, just don't NEED anything crazy, so, any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks, guys, refreshing to get some input. And Bleeder, ...if you want that mask, I'd gladly mail it to ya! Seriously, I have 3........High Quality and believe it or not, ....99C STORE! LOL. They get Target Stuff.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:54 AM

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
I am not a big fan of IFS lifts, if there is any real wheeling involved. to do it right and make it strong it seems like it takes a lot more money than an SAS would. don't get me wrong, I think IFS has its place and can be plenty strong, as shown by pre-runner style trucks. a normal off the shelf lift, the added angle to the cv shafts by doing spacers or t-bar mods, or leverage on everything with a drop diff style lift, is a liability. if you are only looking for a little bit, a set of small BJ spacers and some 63's in the rear seem to be a good set up for a lot of people.
this is just my personal opinion, not trying to knock anyone's rig or their ideas on this, believe me.
any extra input air flow and extra exhaust flow is going to be great as long as fuel delivery can keep up, and you don't wanna ruin your low end torque at all (IMHO), which can happen when you do things like big exhaust and bored out TB that increase flow. (my understanding) head porting can do wonders though, as long as they know what they are doing.

Last edited by de6w6it; 05-05-2010 at 08:05 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:07 AM

Increased fuel delivery? Now, are you talking about 'make sure your injectors are like new, throttle body and intake are spotless", like that? Or, are you talking about doing my fuel pump while I'm at this? I'm going to check that out, anyway, I was thinking because....; This fuel pump has 256k on it......wouldn't it be best to put a new one on a newly rebuild motor?

Still waiting to stand over the rig with my neighbor. He can do pretty much anything, buttttttttttt, lol....he's kind of a fan of "KEEP IT STOCK", so I'll see what kind of prodding I have to do with him, lol. I don't weld, and from what I've seen, some welding is needed to get the battery on the other side>>>??? I like those Trail Gear Battery Cages, do you? Easy flip up top and VERY sturdy.

I'm also going to do the clutch slave, as it's leaking like a pig, and they're only about 35$(aisin).

On the clutch, most of the Toy people say "MAKE SURE it's an Aisin, if you're not going to go HUGE with it", ...which I'm not, because it's a good clutch in there, now,....Lasted 150K and has 30K left on it(sorry guys, I'm not tearing this down to do a clutch in 30k, after all this). I was thinking the Marlin 1200 with Aisin Disc and Bearing(I think that's what Marlin said, yeah?) Because, well, the 1200 keeps it nice and manageable, not too stiff and not SUPER torque'ish. lol.

BTW, meant what I said, .....I REALLY admire your Fabricating/welding stuff, man! I need to learn, and actually, there's a class available this summer at SCROC, a very good Vocational Training School in Torrance, CA., just down the street. I mean, WHY NOT, RIGHT?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread