86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

88 Toyota 4x4 has metal shavings in the oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
88 Toyota 4x4 has metal shavings in the oil

What's up, folks. So as many of you know, the 88 3.0 3VZE has a reputation for blowing head gaskets. After having white smoke billow from the exhaust pipe and power loss fluctuations, I had to take it to a mechanic - simply because I don't the time to work on it. The mechanic says there is metal shavings in the oil. After discovering this (without draining the oil) he says I need a new motor. He has not taken ANYTHING apart to try to find where the problem is, and says "it may be coming from this or it may be coming from that". He just says that his magnet picked up metal shavings in the oil.

Question 1: How can a mechanic determine that I have a ruined motor without taking the cylinder head off to look at a possible blown head gasket?

Question 2: How can he determine that the motor is ruined because he found some metal shavings in the oil without draining the oil or taking ANYTHING apart?
Attached Thumbnails 88 Toyota 4x4 has metal shavings in the oil-20150614_153634_hdr.jpg  
Old 01-13-2016, 06:57 PM

im no expert here, but im pretty sure the only shavings a magnet can pick up are from the iron sleeves in the block. i do not know the materials used to make the crank bearings or rods in this instance

the block and pistons are both aluminum and not magnetic.

however, being a mechanic/appliance repair man for the last little bit i can say for sure that anyone who gives educated guesses is just a guesser. the only way to tell is to actually open it up and check it.

Last edited by 92ehatch; 01-13-2016 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:10 PM

92ehatch is right. The main possible sources of ferrous (iron based, aka magnetic) metals would be the engine block or the piston rings. Your pistons are aluminum and your bearing are going to be some kind of mixture of metals like lead, copper, and aluminum.

But I would NOT give him the go ahead to put a new engine in based on his "educated guess." The only way to find out for sure the source of the problem is to actually open the engine up.

On another note, Hotty Toddy! Good to see another Ole Miss fan on the forums
Old 01-13-2016, 07:16 PM

That makes sense. I'm not a mechanic in any way but I have been privy to smelling bull˟˟˟˟ when I hear it. I agree that an educated guesser is just a guesser. I guess a second opinion from a different mechanic is a no-brainer at this point.
Question: since the '88 3.0 3vze is notorious for blowing head gaskets, should I spend the money putting a rebuilt 3.0 3vze back into it? I mean, I'm about to be shelling out a pretty penny anyways. Might as well put something more reliable in it like a 3.4 or 22r-e or something, right?
Old 01-13-2016, 07:19 PM

Hey, buddy! I agree totally with what you both are saying. Feel free to comment on what I replied to ehatch.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:29 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
1. Nice long bed. I LOVE long beds. ESPECIALLY 3VZ-E long beds!
2. Whoever told you the 88 3VZ-E is notorious for blowing head gaskets lied. Mine went 218K before the HG popped. Fact is premature 3VZ-E HG failures are rare. Whatever you've heard is a hyped-up myth.
3. There's much to know about the differences between the 88 3VZ-E and later years. I happen to know in great detail what all of those are too. None of them are HG related though.
4. I doubt it's a head gasket failure anyways. Does the white smoke smell like coolant? If not, it's not a HG.
5. Does it sound to me like there's some other major issue with it? Most likely. But with little to go on, I couldn't tell you what.
6. A rebuilt 3VZ-E is a wise investment IMO. It's as much, or more, reliable as/than a 22R-E or 5VZ-FE. And would be 10x easier to put back in there than either one.

BTW, the block is not aluminum. Nor does it have sleeves..

EDIT: Then I remembered something. I've never seen another 88 V6 long bed before. So far as I know we own the only 2 ever built. NO BS!!!

Last edited by MudHippy; 01-15-2016 at 05:27 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by MudHippy
1. Nice long bed. I LOVE long beds. ESPECIALLY 3VZ-E long beds!
2. Whoever told you the 88 3VZ-E is notorious for blowing head gaskets lied. Mine went 218K before the HG popped. Fact is premature 3VZ-E HG failures are rare. Whatever you've heard is a hyped-up myth.
3. There's much to know about the differences between the 88 3VZ-E and later years. I happen to know in great detail what all of those are too. None of them are HG related though.
4. I doubt it's a head gasket failure anyways. Does the white smoke smell like coolant? If not, it's not a HG.
5. Does it sound to me like there's some other major issue with it? Most likely. But with little to go on, I couldn't tell you what.
6. A rebuilt 3VZ-E is a wise investment IMO. It's as much, or more, reliable as/than a 22R-E or 5VZ-FE. And would be 10x easier to put back in there than either one.

BTW, the block is not aluminum. Nor does it have sleeves..

EDIT: Then I remembered something. I've never seen another 88 V6 long bed before. So far as I know we own the only 2 ever built. NO BS!!!
Hey, thanks! I love my long bed too, brother. I especially like that it's shallow. So, I'm going to rebuild my 3vz-e with the help of a local gear head. I'm meeting with him tomorrow to go over some things but like I said, I'm ignorant...not just ignorant, DAMN ignorant when it comes to asking the right questions to this guy. This whole engine rebuild is going to happen at his house and I want to make sure the right things are going to happen in this rebuild i.e. head resurfacing and if we can determine if the head is warped at all. I don't think we can eyeball a warp that's 15 thousandths of an inch (which from what I've read is A LOT).
Secondly, since the motor is coming out, I'd like to utilize my opportunity to replace some things that will rejuvenate the life of the truck so I can get another 10-15 years out of her.
This is where my buddies from YotaTech come in!

-What should I be looking for to make sure this rebuild is going to be legit and not hillbilly rigged?
-What machines or special tools are REQUIRED for this rebuild. I don't want to hear him say, "aww this pickax will work just fine!" WHAT! NO!
-What else should I keep an eye out for during this rebuild?

As you can tell, I'm having difficulty asking the in-depth questions. Your help, along with others, is GREATLY appreciated. Your knowledge is going to keep me off the side of the road.

Last edited by 88toyotaOleMiss; 01-17-2016 at 06:16 AM.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by ToyoToler
92ehatch is right. The main possible sources of ferrous (iron based, aka magnetic) metals would be the engine block or the piston rings. Your pistons are aluminum and your bearing are going to be some kind of mixture of metals like lead, copper, and aluminum.

But I would NOT give him the go ahead to put a new engine in based on his "educated guess." The only way to find out for sure the source of the problem is to actually open the engine up.

On another note, Hotty Toddy! Good to see another Ole Miss fan on the forums
Thanks for the info, brother. So, I'm going to rebuild my 3vz-e with the help of a local gear head. I'm meeting with him tomorrow to go over some things but like I said, I'm ignorant...not just ignorant, DAMN ignorant when it comes to asking the right questions to this guy. This whole engine rebuild is going to happen at his house and I want to make sure the right things are going to happen in this rebuild i.e. head resurfacing and if we can determine if the head is warped at all. I don't think we can eyeball a warp that's 15 thousandths of an inch (which from what I've read is A LOT).
Secondly, since the motor is coming out, I'd like to utilize my opportunity to replace some things that will rejuvenate the life of the truck so I can get another 10-15 years out of her.
This is where my buddies from YotaTech come in!

-What should I be looking for to make sure this rebuild is going to be legit and not hillbilly rigged?
-What machines or special tools are REQUIRED for this rebuild. I don't want to hear him say, "aww this pickax will work just fine!" WHAT! NO!
-What else should I keep an eye out for during this rebuild?

As you can tell, I'm having difficulty asking the in-depth questions. Your help, along with others, is GREATLY appreciated. Your knowledge is going to keep me off the side of the road.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:18 AM

MudHippy, hey dude. Lol I know it's been two years since our conversation but I'm here again. I thought you may be interested to know the status of my truck now. I put a rebuilt 3VZE into it. I got it from gearheadengines.com and am very pleased. So, same engine, new radiator, new clutch and the bitch is haulin' again. As far as V6 long-bed single-cabs, I think they are pretty rare. The guy I bought it from said the truck was the first single-cab long-bed in the state of California in 1988. As the story goes, in February 1988 he went to the Toyota dealership and special ordered a single-cab long-bed V6. After Japan fulfilled the special order they shipped it to San Fran where it was hauled to San Diego at which point he picked her up. According to him it's the first 88 long-bed single cab at the time. Which is cool! I've since painted the truck Rat Rod grey. 1 gallon of single-stage paint allowed me 4 heavy coats. Got the stuff from Eastwood Paint. Check it out.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c3/68...4f13362204.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b1/69...972efd46e8.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d2/85...fba60edc9e.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/1f/aa...f6ec4b840a.jpg

Last edited by 88toyotaOleMiss; 03-07-2018 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:38 AM

Received 283 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by 88toyotaOleMiss
What's up, folks. So as many of you know, the 88 3.0 3VZE has a reputation for blowing head gaskets. After having white smoke billow from the exhaust pipe and power loss fluctuations, I had to take it to a mechanic - simply because I don't the time to work on it. The mechanic says there is metal shavings in the oil. After discovering this (without draining the oil) he says I need a new motor. He has not taken ANYTHING apart to try to find where the problem is, and says "it may be coming from this or it may be coming from that". He just says that his magnet picked up metal shavings in the oil.

Question 1: How can a mechanic determine that I have a ruined motor without taking the cylinder head off to look at a possible blown head gasket?

Question 2: How can he determine that the motor is ruined because he found some metal shavings in the oil without draining the oil or taking ANYTHING apart?
I know it's been a long time, but I wasn't around then and I see you are back on the forum. So here is some food for thought if you run into something like this in the future.
#1 You can cut open your oil filter and inspect for metal shavings/chunks
#2 if the mechanic was dishonest he may have walked over to the brake lathe and picked up some metal on his magnet to show you (if he showed it to you).
#3 Second opinions are important if you don't know the mechanic.
#4 the block is iron and so are the crank and the cams and the pushrods
By the way, did you find out what failed (if anything) when the engine was torn down?