84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

My 84 pickup ground up

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 02:48 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Hey Hump! Was wondering bout you. I get the busy with other stuff (a.k.a. life) I haven't touched the combo switch project or my truck in a while. Stay well.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:23 PM

Received 75 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by old87yota
Sounds good.

I just wanted to make sure you didn't abandon us!

I wouldn't do that...................
Well, I cleaned up the shop and cleared a working area to start putting things together, I did manage to finish the engine before I stopped, thank goodness! I managed to bolt the bell housing on the tranny so I can take the engine off the stand and bolt up the tranny to the engine then drop the whole thing in the rolling frame. Here's a problem, I seem to have lost my pictures of when I took everything apart, oh man, this is going to be a PIA now. Now I have to try and remember how the tranny goes together. I had all the pics on my I phone and now I can't find them.GONE, HELP.................That's what happens when you take a break.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by L5wolvesf
Hey Hump! Was wondering bout you. I get the busy with other stuff (a.k.a. life) I haven't touched the combo switch project or my truck in a while. Stay well.
Yeah, I took some time off to work on the house which I put on the back burner. I bought the place almost 3 years ago and haven't done a thing inside. I spent 2 1/2 years fixing up the garage! Now that my kitchen, dining room, living room and hallway are done except for the flooring, which is on it's way I'll get back to the rebuild.
I'll be doing a lot of youtube searching, I lost all my pics on how to put everything together.............man what a PIA I took pics so I wouldn't have to remember. Yeah, that didn't turn out so good!
It's all good, I'll figure it out, it will just take a lot longer.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:55 AM

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by NYHumpinUtah
Hey Jake
Been doing other things for the last few months and haven't touched the truck. "Maybe" I'll get back on it soon.
Mike
Doing other things? Sounds familiar lol
Old 08-01-2018, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by jakey poo
Doing other things? Sounds familiar lol
And get this, nobody telling me to do it!
Just got tired of carpet in the whose house and one thing leads to the next and, the snowball effect hits.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:37 PM

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts
Lol my wife and I are patiently waiting for the dogs to wear down the carpet so that we can replace it
Old 08-01-2018, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by jakey poo
Lol my wife and I are patiently waiting for the dogs to wear down the carpet so that we can replace it
Guys, take it from me, do it now! Don't know if you already decided on what you want, but I waited and suffered too long. I went with a vinyl flooring, 1st time, I'm really a real wood guy but after having real wood in my last house I've decided to try the new vinyl flooring. They have made a huge improvement over the years and knowing me and the weather here (snow) and always in & out I'll try it
Good luck
Ps If you decide to go with vinyl let me know, I've done all the research Just PM me
Old 11-28-2018, 04:08 PM

Hi All my friends, it's been a while. HOUSE IS DONE!!!!! (as much as I want to do) So, it's back to the truck rebuild.......YEA...............But............... .............It's cold outside!
Well, I'll try and work on some things that I can bring into the basement where it's a bit warmer.
I put up a table and I guess I'll start with wiring. The plan is to open up the coverings and trace out the wires I don't need anymore, the ones for all the smog stuff. I have the complete harness laying on the table waiting to be operated on..............I feel like a surgeon.......
I don't know how to read the schematics, but I think with it laying on the table, and FSM in hand, I should be able to figure "some of it out"
Anyway, it's good to be back in yota land.
Old 11-28-2018, 05:06 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Awesome! Keep us posted, Sir!
Old 11-28-2018, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Awesome! Keep us posted, Sir!
Hey Dude,
Glad to hear from you. It's been awhile
I will be hitting you up for some wiring help in the near future.Since the harness is being operated on I'll need some help. It's a lot easier to do it on a table then having it installed on the truck. The first thing I'm looking at is where the ( i guess ) the computer box or what ever it's called that was located on the passenger side kick plate where all the wires from the smog stuff went to, all the carburetor wires. When I disconnected the plug for that box when the truck was running it didn't affect the engine at all or any thing else so I'm assuming I don't need any of those wires.
Like I said, I'll be picking your brain in the near future
Old 11-28-2018, 06:27 PM

...When I disconnected the plug for that box when the truck was running it didn't affect the engine at all or any thing else so I'm assuming I don't need any of those wires...
Those were probably the smog / egr stuff.
Most happy to help.
BTW, a few pics from the Reflection Canyon - Jacob Hamblin Arch backpack we did after I paid you a visit are here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/TXCFAnq2mwP6MW2J9

Old 11-28-2018, 07:46 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts

Welcome back!

Old 11-29-2018, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by old87yota

Welcome back!

Thanks Jake, good to be back
Old 12-06-2018, 08:09 PM

Well, Here's a quick update. As soon as I said I would get back to working on my truck the gods said NO. It's been cold and then we got hit with snow! Owell, I did manage to get the frame and bed in the back garage, and the cab in the front garage befour the snow hit. At least they are protected. Moving the bed and the cab was a bear, I was able to do it by myself, didn't want to bother my buddies. It went ok but I felt it the next day! The frame rolls so it just a matter of push and turning the wheels to get it in. I cleared some room in the garage and both fit with room to spare.
I figured I would take this time to gather up all my parts that I been buying up over the last 6 months and see what I have and still need. I took all the dash parts down to the basement and started laying them all out.
Good news is, I have all the dash parts in gray that I need, I just landed a super clean dash pad on Ebay the other day and 4 vents and the left and right pillar post trim that I got as a package deal. Sweet!
I also put up a table in the basement and put my wiring harness's on so I can continue to work on that. It's cold down there but nothing like outside in an unheated garage.
Now that I laid everything out I have a lot of dash parts that I will probably start selling to make some money back.
Here's some pics
Here's the wiring harness's Take a look Ray!

Here's the dash and the heater venting parts

And here's my extra dash parts, quite a few

Also, I've been doing a lot of you tubing and research on Raptor lining, I kind of like this stuff, there are some guys out there that have painted the whole truck with this stuff and it kind of looks pretty neat. It comes in a tintable version so you can tint it any color you want. I was already planning on doing underneath the cab and bed and maybe the cab floors, hell I might just do the whole truck!
Any of you guys have any experience with it? Love it? Hate it? I think it looks rather cool, and you won't have to worry about anything or anybody messing with your paint job. Hell if you're going to bring it off road and do a little rock crawling you won't freak out scratching your paint.
Anyway, if anyone needs some dash parts just PM me, I have a complete dash with frame in brown and some other parts in gray.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:10 PM

Nice setup, Mike!
Next time, I'll help you move the frame
Old 12-06-2018, 09:21 PM

[QUOTE=RAD4Runner;52413638]Nice setup, Mike!
Next time, I'll help you move the frame
[/
LOL Ray Nice pic...........
I'll call ya when I have to move it
Old 12-08-2018, 04:34 PM

A little update
Had a break in the weather, so I took advantage of it and worked on the cab a bit. Stood in up on started cleaning up the bottom. I won't be able to spray the epoxy primer but I can get it all cleaned up and ready. This truck is amazing, 34 years old and not a bit of rust, I mean nothing! I started wire brushing it and I actually got a shine from the original E coat primer. Still intact and clean as a whissel The only place I saw rust was on the battery tray and it's just surface rust.
Some pic's

Here's after some wire brushing

I might try and do some more tomorrow before the weather starts getting cold again. I'd like to get the whole bottom done and then maybe get some of the inside cab floors done. Plan is, for now, clean, scratch, and epoxy prime, then Raptor lining in black, Still thinking about doing the whole truck, we'll see how this comes out first
Old 12-16-2018, 08:03 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Hi All my friends, it's been a while. HOUSE IS DONE!!!!! (as much as I want to do) So, it's back to the truck rebuild.......YEA...............But............... .............It's cold outside!
Well, I'll try and work on some things that I can bring into the basement where it's a bit warmer.
I put up a table and I guess I'll start with wiring. The plan is to open up the coverings and trace out the wires I don't need anymore, the ones for all the smog stuff. I have the complete harness laying on the table waiting to be operated on..............I feel like a surgeon.......
I don't know how to read the schematics, but I think with it laying on the table, and FSM in hand, I should be able to figure "some of it out"
Anyway, it's good to be back in yota land.
Hey Hump - welcome back. So you built a house instead of working on the truck?

I see you a going with Raptor Liner why that brand vs. Herc, Rhino et al? I have my mom's truck to do come spring.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by L5wolvesf
Hey Hump - welcome back. So you built a house instead of working on the truck?

I see you a going with Raptor Liner why that brand vs. Herc, Rhino et al? I have my mom's truck to do come spring.
Hi Larry,
Well, Just my preference, I guess the all are good but it seems that Raptor has a good rep and is available at discount prices all over, Amazon for one. I'm going with the epoxy primer first then the Raptor liner, of course when it gets warmer Might be a while..............
Dragged the bed in the front garage yesterday, what a bear to do it by yourself, but it's in there. Much better to work in the front 2 car garage then my big garage, have a small space heater that should heat up that smaller space so I can doing a little prep work.
Still haven't changed out the jets on the 32/36 weber yet, I have the new jets but didn't get around to putting them in, I'll be calling you for advice
Hump
Old 01-05-2019, 04:15 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Who you have a heck of a beautiful truck going. So wish I had the time to do a frame off. This spring I am going to talk my buddy into letting me have shop time for a weekend to wire wheel my frame and get some paint on it. Keep up the great work.

Quick Reply: My 84 pickup ground up