84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Boomtacoma's 85 Ext Cab Build up

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 08:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I havent been up to much lately besides wedding planning. Cleaned up my set of IFS front brakes and calipers. I'll probably shoot a coat of paint on them before install.

The TC to the left w/ C 4.7's has a broken front output which will be replaced with a Marlin 30 spl front and rear outputs. Its pretty clean I just need to clean the stock top shift one a little more. I have a Marlin replacement 23spl 2.28 low gear for the TC on the right that I got last Christmas. I just need some more parts and time to get this thing put together.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:42 AM

Well I picked up my other warranteed tire last week and got it mounted up. I have 2 brand new and 2 tires at about 80-85% on the truck. Im happy with that ...for now

Had a friend cleaning out his garage and foud a box of parts to an 85 runner that he no longer owns. It was a pretty good score: 2 new window regulators, 2 front marker lights, 2 rear tail lights, tan console, a ton of fasteners, 2 complete seat belt assemblies and 2 mirrors

At least I have a couple of spares on hand for any future incidents

Last edited by Boomtacoma01; 12-08-2011 at 09:05 AM.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:26 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
How do you like the SSR's vs. the Iroks?
hoping to step up to 37's soon.
Build is looking good
Old 12-05-2011, 02:37 PM

The SSRs seem to be a great tire so far. I mainly went that route due to a deal I found on the tires and the amount of time this rig was going to be on the highway. The tires seem to flex well when airing down and give tons of grip. My only concern is that they are a Load range C tire (6ply). That being said; I'll run em till they can be run anymore. Probably get some Iroks for the next set since a tow rig might be in my near future.

And thanks man. I really like your Trekker. I read through the build and have seen some of the updates here and on TTORA.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:26 AM

Messed around on the red truck this weekend for the first time in about a month.

I basically disassembled the whole dash to clean up wiring and see what the hell was going on with the lack of airflow coming from my vents.

This was the passenger side.

Found this in the blower motor assembly

The condenser was jammed almost full as well.

Got that mostly cinched back up. Just have to get the bezel around the speedo cluster put back on. Fan blows like a champ now!

Finally got a push button switch installed for my horn. The wiring inside the steering columnb just kept pulling apart and being a pain in the ass.

Sealed up the hole in my fuel door from when i trimmed my rear passenger fender.

Started to plumb in an inlet hose to the air box. A carbureated one doesnt work BTW. It almost does though.

EBC greenstuff 6K pads are on the way along with a new high pressure steering hose. Mine is looking a little brittle. Might as well change it out before it blows.

So this is what I came up with for my air box intake tube. I used a 2" PVC street L and the intake tube from a carbed 22R. I had to plug the extra port on the tube and put the 2 tubes together with a bead of silicone. Im letting it cure now and installing after that.

My dog Tank decided to hop up into the truck with me after I got finished putting the dash/speedo cluster back in. He loves the Red truck

Took a little time and painted both my inner door jambs before I left for a project in Alababma

Also got my rigged up air box intake tube put in.

Seems like my rear shackle angle is getting better too!

Look for some updates here in the near future:

IFS front brake upgrade with EBC pads

Rear disk conversion with GSM's kit

Radio freshening up

2" Sunpro Gauge install

And more to come as I find more parts in boxes that I forgot or didnt know I had.

Going Wheeling this weekend so no modding
Old 01-30-2012, 07:50 AM

Some wheeling pics at Shiloh Rigde in Alto TX

The end result a very muddy truck. It took 15 bucks to get the chunks off and it is going to need some more done.

It was a great time with some good friends!

Last edited by Boomtacoma01; 02-15-2012 at 07:17 AM.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:57 AM

I finally got around to at least starting on the IFS caliper and FJ vented rotor swap.

I had to stop last night because I couldnt get that damn outer C-clip back on the Longfield. My thumbs are raw and I need the right tool. No pun intended
I should have everything buttoned up on the driver's side tonight and then I can tear into the passenger side.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You, sir, have made one hell of a Yota. Can't wait to see what comes next, you have given me plenty of ideas for mine, if only there was a bank account to match the ideas.
Keep it up!
Old 02-11-2012, 06:09 PM

Thnaks man. I hear ya on the money part. I bought a house, ring, got married, got 2 dogs and honeymooned all in 2011. Money isnt really short now but is regulated by the wife
Old 02-14-2012, 08:23 PM

your truck ismy trucks mentor/idol sir. nice job
Old 02-21-2012, 07:05 PM

Nice, very nice! This is my favorite pickup! (mostly because it resembles mine, lol)
Old 02-23-2012, 08:28 AM

Thanks man.

I got my V-6 caliper/vented rotor swap completed and bled. I need to get it out and test out the better braking power (hopefully)

Now just waiting on some Hydro Asist parts so I can get that finished before the LoneStar Toyota Jamboree in April along with a couple other things.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:54 PM

I finnished the IFS/FJ60 brake swap a while back and bled the system. Drove it to my buddy Rich's house last Saturday and it seems that the brakes are sufficiently bled.

Upgraded audio:

Alpine 103BT HU
Alpine inline 4 ch amp 45x4 RMS
Eclipse 4" in the dash and Boston 6x9's in the rear.

I added 2 additional lights on the front bumper

Pics of the Alpine HU and front lights.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:18 AM

Started my disassembly of my spare TC for my crawl box. I needed the rear output cover for a core for my MC 30 spl rear output. I have a new set of 23 spl. Marlin 2.28 Total Spline input gears to get switched out once I get the front of the case separated from the rear half. I have my 30 spline front output ready, just need my MC dual adapter and Davez twin sticks and a little time This is pretty filthy work but its been fun so far.

Box of parts

Bucket of parts degreasing

Beginning of the case seperation:

I'm just cleaning up the parts now. I need a bearing separator and press and my other parts to get the crawl box assembled.

The rear output has a stout snap ring to get the bearing off. I need a better set of snap ring pliers

All the other parts are soaking in a bucket of degreaser

The crawlbox housing is cleaned and partially reassembled.

TC crawlbox all nice and clean

The difference between a stock Toyota 21 spline input and a MC 23 spline replacement

Last edited by Boomtacoma01; 03-28-2012 at 07:21 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great build ! Lots of inspiration and ideas rite hurr. Do your brake lines hit your tires just hanging like that ? Also did you make your steering stabilizer mount on top of your diff of bought ?
Old 04-02-2012, 04:43 AM

The tires do not hit the brake lines and the steering stabilizer mount is a Trail Gear shock mount that I cut to fit.

Like these

http://www.davezoffroadperformance.c...ck-mounts.html

Last edited by Boomtacoma01; 10-04-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:13 AM

Nice I like that idea. Gonna have to steal it.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:21 PM

Did you notice a big difference with the stabilizer ? I'm having a hard time making my mind up whether to mount it from frame rail to drag link or like yours top diff to tie rod ? How close to your oil pan while flexed ? Wouldn't think it would Be real close on your truck cause it's lifted up quite a bit ?

Last edited by 775Toy; 04-21-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:21 PM

Got my crawlbox sealed up and ready to go.

Davez shifter

Rear case asembled with the Davez twin sticks

Have all the parts in for my rear disc brake conversion from Golden State Motorsports on Pirate

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1034855

Old 06-06-2012, 11:39 AM

Rear disc brake conversion

I picked up the Golden State Motorsports Rear disc conversion that I found on Pirate. I got the kit with the Brackets and conversion fittings from the Metric 10 Toyota thread to the Banjo style needed.

The kit uses late model 4RNR rear calipers and rotors along with their bracket kit.

Got the backing plates off with the combination of a Grinder and Air cut-off tool.

Passenger rear just about done

Otro lau

Brake lines are ran over the top of the leaves and connected to the caliper. got them filled up and bled pretty well.

I test fitted one of the new steelies to check for clearance issues with the rear discs. It clears barely so it ought to work.

Got them from Summit 15x8 ProComp Rock Crawlers with 2.5 in BS Should be getting them mounted up tomorrow and Friday. I only have 2 jack stands so the spare and 2 rear tires will go on first and then the front 2 will get mounted.

Clearance pic between caliper and wheel

Rear of cab stripped with 2 layers of spray on undercoating/sound deadener

Quick Reply: Boomtacoma's 85 Ext Cab Build up