84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

85sr5excab's 85 sr5 ex cab build

Old 10-05-2013, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gizler00
I can't tell you how many times in the last 15 yrs I have used articles in petersons 4wheel and off road as a guide to do something. Seriously a great magazine.

I actually got the engine in a few days ago and have been driving it everyday since.
Ya they hacked up a new super duty and made it a shortbox for their annual ultimate adventure. It's about the only magazine that I don't care to go without lol. That's awesome u got it in and running. Is there a no ticeable power difference? I've got an extra motor I'm keeping around to rebuild "one of these days" lol. I actually wish I had a 4runner now than a pickup so I can bring the kids with me. I saw on craigslist the other day a stripped down 87 runner I believe. No motor or tranny but it had SAS done already with ruf packs and Chevy 63's for $800. I showed my wife and she was not impressed the least bit. Oh well maybe some other time.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 85sr5excab
Ya they hacked up a new super duty and made it a shortbox for their annual ultimate adventure. It's about the only magazine that I don't care to go without lol. That's awesome u got it in and running. Is there a no ticeable power difference? I've got an extra motor I'm keeping around to rebuild "one of these days" lol. I actually wish I had a 4runner now than a pickup so I can bring the kids with me. I saw on craigslist the other day a stripped down 87 runner I believe. No motor or tranny but it had SAS done already with ruf packs and Chevy 63's for $800. I showed my wife and she was not impressed the least bit. Oh well maybe some other time.
Haha. I wonder if it's the same one I saw in Des Moines, Ia. I can't see where you live on the mobile app. My kids are the only reason I keep the runner. I prefer a 3rd gen pickup over the 4runners but can't fit my kids in the back.

I really haven't opened it up just yet since I have almost no miles or time on it. But what I have noticed is that I don't have to downshift going up the hills I drive to and from work. I can hold what ever gear I'm in now. Primarily 3&4 gear hills through town. It definitely feels like it has more torque on the bottom end. Hopefully time will tell more when I can drive it harder.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:14 PM

Haha. I wonder if it's the same one I saw in Des Moines, Ia. I can't see where you live on the mobile app. My kids are the only reason I keep the runner. I prefer a 3rd gen pickup over the 4runners but can't fit my kids in the back.

I really haven't opened it up just yet since I have almost no miles or time on it. But what I have noticed is that I don't have to downshift going up the hills I drive to and from work. I can hold what ever gear I'm in now. Primarily 3&4 gear hills through town. It definitely feels like it has more torque on the bottom end. Hopefully time will tell more when I can drive it harder.
Yup it's the one in des moines lol. I live in Montezuma which is about 65 miles east of des moines. I just saw another runner on cl 2nite that's built for crawling for 15 g's.......yikes. Good to know it feels like u have more power. Back when I used to dd my truck I would just put around and shift between 1500 and 2000 rpm. Then one day I just started winding it up to 3200 every shift and it didn't affect the mpg's at all and it was more enjoyable to drive. That's when I realized these lil 4 bangers like revving.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:57 AM

Yup it's the one in des moines lol. I live in Montezuma which is about 65 miles east of des moines. I just saw another runner on cl 2nite that's built for crawling for 15 g's.......yikes. Good to know it feels like u have more power. Back when I used to dd my truck I would just put around and shift between 1500 and 2000 rpm. Then one day I just started winding it up to 3200 every shift and it didn't affect the mpg's at all and it was more enjoyable to drive. That's when I realized these lil 4 bangers like revving.
You don't live that far from me at all. I'm in Council Bluffs.

I would love to get that roller 4runner just for the high steer and springs. I need the high steer and new springs bad!

The 22re definitely likes to be revved out. People (non toyota people) give me ˟˟˟˟ all the time about the 4cyl. Then I take them for a drive and they are blown away. One if my old students used to knock on them pretty hard. Saying he hates 4cyl trucks Etc...

Now he has an 86 that we have put a new engine in last year. Haha. He actually has it in college now up by you. He goes to Iowa state.

We should meet up sometime. The family and I are always in Des Moines. I go to DMACC a lot. Two of my friends are auto instructors there.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:56 PM

You don't live that far from me at all. I'm in Council Bluffs.

I would love to get that roller 4runner just for the high steer and springs. I need the high steer and new springs bad!

The 22re definitely likes to be revved out. People (non toyota people) give me ˟˟˟˟ all the time about the 4cyl. Then I take them for a drive and they are blown away. One if my old students used to knock on them pretty hard. Saying he hates 4cyl trucks Etc...

Now he has an 86 that we have put a new engine in last year. Haha. He actually has it in college now up by you. He goes to Iowa state.

We should meet up sometime. The family and I are always in Des Moines. I go to DMACC a lot. Two of my friends are auto instructors there.
Ya ur not too far away at all. I just graduated from dmacc last year with an AAS degree in tool & die. I actually started going for auto collision and made it thru a semester of that before switching to tool & die. I enjoyed autobody but got offered my old job back as a toolmaker apprentice so I couldn't pass that up. It was a pretty tough couple of years driving 130 miles roundtrip 4 days a week and working fulltime as well. I was pretty much a zombie but I managed to make the deans list all but one semester and presidents list the last semester. Oh and I got married, had a kid, and bought a house during that time too lol. We should def get together sometime if we can find a time that works with both our schedules
Old 11-12-2013, 06:04 AM

Small update.....couple weeks ago I got my rear shocks installed finally and welded the diamond plate on the flatbed down in the middle.
Here's a shot of the shock mount welded on and the gussets on the backside
Name:  IMAG0275_zps10a0f059.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  133.5 KB
The other side
Name:  IMAG0277_zps6c4b871e.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  160.5 KB
A closeup of the rear
Name:  IMAG0276_zps6b27fee7.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  151.3 KB
A full shot of the rear

And a lil gratuitous flex shot in the driveway lol. Prolly the closest I'll ever come to rockcrawling haha. Wasn't near flexed out but it's all I had to work with.
Name:  IMAG0281_zpsc16c0f5f.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  120.6 KB
And another shot.
Name:  IMAG0280_zpsacf3ee1e.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  194.4 KB
Hopefully I can find some time to work on it again soon. Next up front suspension.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:42 PM

Nice truck and keep us updated
Old 01-02-2014, 05:41 AM

Thanks. Not much to update lately. Been busy with the holidays but hope to make some progress soon.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:06 AM

I know the feeling, god I need another toy
Old 02-19-2014, 03:58 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I had a flatbed and just the other day my wife was mentioning that she wish we still had it as she had a few things that she liked to use it for as well. Looks like your mounts turned out great.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I had a flatbed and just the other day my wife was mentioning that she wish we still had it as she had a few things that she liked to use it for as well. Looks like your mounts turned out great.
Thanks Terry, I'm happy with how it turned out. Got a few more things to do to it before its ready for paint. Still haven't had time to work on it but I'm chomping at the bit to get back at it. Only relatively new news I have is that I got a hi-lift jack for Christmas.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:31 AM

Finally have an update. Drug the truck over to my dad's place since I've been spending a lot of time over there lately and because he has a new welder lol. Thurs it was a nice day and I couldn't take it anymore so I tore into the front-end and yanked the front axle and leaf springs out. It all went pretty smooth and I was finished in about 3 hours. Front spring hanger I built awhile back and ruf pack is assembled. Managed to whip up some new shackles thurs nite after work so now all that's stopping me from putting it back together are sleeves to go in the bushings on the springs, shocks, and shock mounts. I'll probably get the springs and axle back in before I get shocks and mounts ordered. But then again I may just leave the axle out til I have a chance to go thru it since I already have the knuckle rebuild kit. Anyway here's pics.
Name:  IMAG0450_zps96dbqo9m.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  148.7 KB

Name:  IMAG0449_zps1dkfrcia.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  119.3 KB
Old 03-23-2014, 01:50 PM

Ya ur not too far away at all. I just graduated from dmacc last year with an AAS degree in tool & die. I actually started going for auto collision and made it thru a semester of that before switching to tool & die. I enjoyed autobody but got offered my old job back as a toolmaker apprentice so I couldn't pass that up. It was a pretty tough couple of years driving 130 miles roundtrip 4 days a week and working fulltime as well. I was pretty much a zombie but I managed to make the deans list all but one semester and presidents list the last semester. Oh and I got married, had a kid, and bought a house during that time too lol. We should def get together sometime if we can find a time that works with both our schedules
I dont know how I missed this!!

I agree we should definitely meet up.

DMCC ia a great school. I am friends with the two fellas Al and Donovan that run the Ford program out there.

Thats great you were able to still make the deans list with all the life situations going on!!
Old 03-23-2014, 01:53 PM

Finally have an update. Drug the truck over to my dad's place since I've been spending a lot of time over there lately and because he has a new welder lol. Thurs it was a nice day and I couldn't take it anymore so I tore into the front-end and yanked the front axle and leaf springs out. It all went pretty smooth and I was finished in about 3 hours. Front spring hanger I built awhile back and ruf pack is assembled. Managed to whip up some new shackles thurs nite after work so now all that's stopping me from putting it back together are sleeves to go in the bushings on the springs, shocks, and shock mounts. I'll probably get the springs and axle back in before I get shocks and mounts ordered. But then again I may just leave the axle out til I have a chance to go thru it since I already have the knuckle rebuild kit. Anyway here's pics.

Awesome!! Cant wait to see it all back together! I say just go through the axle while you have it out. I have been dragging my feet on taking mine out. Im waiting for hi steer then I want to tear her down.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:31 AM

I dont know how I missed this!!

I agree we should definitely meet up.

DMCC ia a great school. I am friends with the two fellas Al and Donovan that run the Ford program out there.

Thats great you were able to still make the deans list with all the life situations going on!!
We'll definitely find a time to meet up sometime. I'd love to look ur 4runner over.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:36 AM

Awesome!! Cant wait to see it all back together! I say just go through the axle while you have it out. I have been dragging my feet on taking mine out. Im waiting for hi steer then I want to tear her down.
I imagine that's probly what I'll do. It makes more sense to go thru it while it's out. I've got the hi steer too so that will go in while I'm at it. I'm gonna try doing a lil wheelin and dealin with sandigan too, as far as I know he's still buying sfa steering boxes and he's a trailgear dealer as well. Mite be worth looking into for your hi steer. I know he offered to make me a deal on a hi steer kit but I already had mine by that time.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I will be so glad to get back to work on my 85. Seeing your pictures just makes the fire that much bigger. It is getting closer. Learning the axles is going to be something new to me. Is it fairly easy to do? I do like your color and stripe pattern.

Last edited by Terrys87; 03-25-2014 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I will be so glad to get back to work on my 85. Seeing your pictures just makes the fire that much bigger. It is getting closer. Learning the axles is going to be something new to me. Is it fairly easy to do? I do like your color and stripe pattern.
I keep watching to see if u start working on it again lol! I have no clue what I'm going to get into on the axle so it will be a learning experience. I'm confident enough in my abilities that I'm sure I can do it. Especially with the wealth of information available here on YT. I'm a big fan of the stripes as well. I've been planning on painting the truck when I get all the mechanical stuff taken care of and wasn't sure what I was going to do about the factory stripes but my dad's fiance recently purchased a vinyl machine and setup so I'll just come up with my own version as close to factory as I can. It should be a fun lil project and if it goes well enuf maybe I'll offer them up for sale. That's a lil ways off tho. Appreciate the feedback guys. Its nice to know there's at least a few ppl following my build even tho I'm not very good at documenting my processes.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

In most cases Toyotas parts are the best, but Trail Gear or Marlin Crawler one has a better axle seal. Mine are leaking bad as seems most trucks are with the age on them. That is going to be a learning experience for me as well. I have slowly been acquiring parts for mine so when I get a few other things out of the way, my 85 should take off quick. Just got to get caught up on a few things and the warmer weather should help all of us get going on things.

Will be looking forward to your stripe kit. Mine is ways from it as well. I still have bodywork and paint to do.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:08 PM

Well I finally got a long overdue project done. I've always wanted a welding table and had all the stuff to make one but never took the time to put it all together. Tonight was the night. Got it all finished up, other than a coat of paint. And the best part is it didn't cost me a dime. All the material was stuff I scavenged from work that they were throwing away.
Name:  FB_IMG_13960752509220658_zpsocydlj0n.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  122.5 KB

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 85sr5excab's 85 sr5 ex cab build