Pre 84 Trucks (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 83 Build Restore

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Thanks 86.. Seemed like I was stuck for a while and am starting to feel better. But it will slow down just as soon as the funsds start getting involved. But I will enjoy each small step.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Starting to make a little progress. This door had a big dent in it and I was wondering about getting it fixed. I thought I would try and remove the door panel and get to it. Got most of it out. There are 4 other small spots needing worked out but will post when I get it fixed. It is alot bigger then what it looks.

Got to do one small improvement. I had some Peel and Seal left over from my 88 restore and while I have the panel off, went ahead and did it. Couldnt resist the temptation. Some material left over from my last project. Wish the speaker hole wasnt cut out, but will have to deal with it later somehow.

Got the beast dug out of the shed. It was a pain in the rear. It is now setting on the trailer soaking in Pruple Power. Plan on going to the carwash soon and getting cleaned up. Once I finish the door. It will start getting torn down. I am hoping for a great little motor. If I have to do a full rebuild I will, but am hoping I wont have to. Will have to wait and see what I got.

Last edited by Terrys87; 10-29-2011 at 01:15 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:08 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
hey .. thats one of those NSOR stepside boxes !! ..
is that for this truck ?

Old 10-29-2011, 04:11 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
yowza man...you're moving right along. and I'm diggin that box Slacker is mentioning.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:35 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Too bad you weren't closer, I have a source for doors in great shape cheap.

Is the box NSOR or NWOR?
Old 10-29-2011, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Terry just checking in, looks like things are moving rite along,
Old 10-30-2011, 02:39 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hey guys, Thanks. If I can come up with a short bed frame, I do have plans on seeing if it will fit. It is actually for a 84-95 truck. I dont know about NSOR or NWOR, but now I know so will start looking information up on it.

I have had this bed for about a year and a half. I got it when I was in Afghanistan. We got into a blizzard and got stuck on a base called Gardez for 5 days. The building if you can call it that was small and about 50 of us were having to stay in it. The only way we could fit in there was all cots against each other and in some areas you had to walk across someone elses cot to get to yours.

Luckily they had internet access and phones as there was nothing that we could do and I started to looking around on ebay. I came across this bed and it was listed for $250. I really didnt think I had a chance at it but put it on my watch list. The listing expired and I thought I would see if it was still available and sent a private message asking and he said it was.

I later got to talk to the owner which turned out to be Jim Sickles, the owner of Downey OffRoad. I had to get the shipping information and got the details on the bed. He used as a company truck. He orgianlly had it on a 94 standard cab and when he bought the truck from Toyota, the normal bed on it got damaged and they asked if he would be happy with this bed. He said he would and they put it on for him. He then needed to haul larger loads and went back to a standard bed for the same truck later on after using for promotional purposes and it can be seen in some of his older magazines.

After closing his business, it was in his shop and wanted to sell it. I just happened to stumble across it.

I got to talk to him on the phone for quite awhile and he is a really nice guy. He said the internet had killed his business. I said I was sorry to see him close shop. He did say that some of his products were going to sold to other companies to produce, but I dont know which ones took what items and how that it going.

He was very patient in selling this to me. We really need more people like him out there. Cant say enough about how much I enjoyed talking to him. His Ebay store is Tojo Products. I would have to get up at 2 or 3 in the morning in Afghainstan and talk to him as I had Paypal and everytime I went to pay for it, they seen it as a overseas transaction and would cancel it thinking my account had been hacked. I had to talk to Paypal and convince them it was actually me ordering the bed.

In my photo album, I had a red 89 standard cab that I wanted to put it on and kind of make a tribute/clone truck, being the only real difference is the grill. When I came home for my 2 week leave period, we needed a bigger truck and came across a 91 extended cab and wound up trading the 89, that I had planned on using as my tribute truck.

I was actually going to look for another 89-95 truck to do my tribute truck for, but funds are not as available as I would like just yet and this 83 build is not costing me anything except that I am trading out my autobody work for this truck so the tribute truck is still on hold. I think the bed is to short for this frame, but will eventually measure it and see. If it would fit I think it would look great and really be a rare truck.

I am going to continue on this build but if I happen to come across a frame that would work for my 83 and this bed, I will switch in a heartbeat. So this build does have a few different possibilities of which way it could go.

There was a green 93 truck with a bed like this in town about 6 months ago and people were really into it when it was put up for sale the owner got a high price for it.

I am hoping to someday to try using the bed panels from a 60-66 Chevy step side bed and see what I could come up with some fenders and maybe make a similar bed using some of the measurements off of this bed.

I have teased my wife that half of my future truck has been in thousands of magazines. Im not sure how many would believe the story about me coming across this bed and who previously owned but it is to the best of my knowledge and how it happened. I think there is a picture of it my photo album.

In the wanted section, I had put out a thread on wanting some of the old magaizines with pictures of the truck and finally one guy did get in touch with me sent me two. This was quites sometime ago and this was the reason I wanted the magazines. Thanks to the person who sent them to me.

Here is a pic of the tailgate that I have also. I wont paint the tailgate ever but the bed is faded and scratched from being used by Jim and some shipping and some of the black trimming around the fenderswells is shrinking.

Old 10-30-2011, 02:51 AM

very cool story. I know CHEF has spoken with him as well and I have scoped out his stuff on ebay too.

thanks for serving our country too. the sacrifices you and the rest of our military make, have made and will make are truly humbling.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks 92 Toy.. You dont hear much on about what is going on over there and being away from family was the hardest. Talking on the phone to the kids and them wanting you to come home was always difficult. I was in Iraq also 5 years ago and they were younger and remember taking me to the airport and when they seen a plane in the sky, was always asking mom if that was my plane coming home.

Tried to make a difference over there and guess time will tell. I dont always agree with how things are handled over there. The Taliban is brutal, so I can say I at least tried to help some other people. But they need to start standing on their own two feet sometime. Just hope it wasnt in vain.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Got the motor to the carwash. I have some good feelings about it. It has a Toyota oil filter so that is a plus. The orginal owner of it was an older lady. The motor came out of an 83 Celica.

Dirty motor.

Clean motor.

Old 10-30-2011, 03:22 PM

nice white-wall....hehehehe

good job.....and good job on the cleaning.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks 92.. I remember white walls. One time when I was a kid I even put them facing out. What was I thinking?? Never got into corduroy or bell bottoms.lol So I wasnt completely senseless.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:07 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Just to give a little update on how things have gone. My dad stopped by and took a look at the truck. He said "son, you going to be able to get that truck going?" his way of saying "what a pile" or " what is that going to cost?" I just said I could have together in a day, and I have had 2 new trucks in the past and the payments lasted way longer then the newness and I enjoy doing this.

I have done 4 previous trucks but guess he is still not sure if I bit off more then I could chew on this one. I am not worried about this or maybe he just wants me in newer trucks. Now I have a little more incentive to show I can get it done nice and looking descent and I will.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:29 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

On with the rest of the day. I am stoked. Tore the motor down and am really happy with the condition of it. I bought a 83 Celica 4 or 5 years ago for the tranny for the truck in my avatar for better mileage. Went from a 4 speed to a 5 speed. The whole car was for $200 and I figured someday might could use the motor. The car was really taken care of, but the rocker panels and trunk area was so eaten up with rust, it was not feasible to fix or safe to drive. Other wise I would fo fixed and sold it.

I stripped it down to nothing and traded the parts off and kept the motor and tranny. I am not going to include the cost of this motor in my truck cost as I paid for long ago and was orgianlly after the tranny.

Also I want to show this hobby can be reasonable with a little searching and trading. I got this truck by doing a lot of bodywork for a friend so it isnt exactly free, but money wise, it isnt costing me anything up to this point.

I am not going to show step by step tear down or rebuild as there are other threads out there that are far more better then what I could do, but want to be able to help others that maybe new to this.

I try to keep my main assemblies together and clean and fix them one at a time so as not to lose parts and try and remember how things go later on for reassembly. One thing I do is to put all of the nuts and bolts into their orginal holes when possible. Some are different lengths and it keeps them togehter so much better. I bag them up when I send parts to the machine shop and label them real other wise they stay with the assembly.

I used to just tag and bag all of the bolts, but it can get confusing as some assemblies can have multiple part attached to it. Take the time to put the bolts where they belong. Resist the urge to just tear it down and worry where things go later. This will save tons of problems down the road.

This being my first 22r, I am going to take a few more reference picture of hoses and such I am not familiar with. I know the 22re alot better. Also since my engine appears to be in great conditon. I am only going to do a top end rebuild unless I find something wrong on the bottom end when I pull the oil pan. Some say do a full rebuild if you pull the head, and if funds arent an issue, I could agree, but here in Terrys87 land, funds are an issue so will go the cheaper route.

I rebuilt a 22re and really think I could of used the cash for other things. I have done 1 complete rebuild and 4 top end rebuilds. All have been really dependable and still on the road. Just my opinion. I was prepared to do a full rebuild if needed but now I feel I dont need to.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:37 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Number 2 valve may have a problem. Will be sending head to machine shop and have checked or fixed.

Reference pic. Vacumm advance.

Assemblies all together.

EGR connections. Will eventually remove or block off.

Vacuum connections.

Rocker assembly looking good.

Cylinders.

Last edited by Terrys87; 12-25-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks like it is coming together and I would also like to thank you for your service in the sand box.

If you need any parts look at engnbldr.com that is where I got my stuff and they are cheaper than the parts stores here and a really good guy to deal with Ted is top notch, I have heard nothing but good things about him and the company.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:21 AM

thanks for posting the pics with the head off, i now know for sure that mine is a celica motor with the dome top pistons and single row chain
Old 10-31-2011, 08:50 AM

Looking good man. I am also ready to actually drive mine (on the road)....What kind of paint are you using for the frame? That Purple Power is some good stuff, i am also a fan. And another thanks for fighting for me and my family's freedom man. There are so many people out there who take everyday for granted and dont realize that there are thousands of people, like yourself, who sacrifice years away from thier family, and unfortunatally sometimes thier life to give this country what it has. Thanks.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:19 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
GREAT READ, thus far, and I, TOO, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE! Now I REALLY feel like I know a bit more about you! lol. OOHRAH!

Yes, Jim was SOOOOOOOOOOO entertaining to speak with,....and it gave me a new appreciation on what he'd been through because of Pir*#e.com and other sites that just would, pardon the expression, SCREW HIM! lol. Over the years I dealt with downey and they ALWAYS tried to make things right if they were not. He had a couple knobs working for him...but he'd weed them out quickly if he could afford to lose em! lol.(They were SKILLED, but, well, 'JERKS', for lack of a better word at the moment, lol). I actually met him in person and we spoke for almost 2 hours.... GREAT guy! I'm not saying he was NEVER wrong... no one's perfect... But I think he IS, NO DOUBT, a professional and he DEFINITELY put in CRAZY amounts of effort to have a unique and 'TOYOTA BASED' product... Heck, much of it, he would travel to Japan to Toyota and use their machines... Then he even bought a couple of them, as I remember! lol

Wish I found him before I did, I would have got MUCH more stuff.... Victoroffroad got all the idler arm braces, ....and I CAN NOT get a hold of that guy. I email him through his site and message back around 5 months later, without, REALLY, an answer to what I wanted..... a BRACE! lol.

Anyway, ......

REALLY glad I found this thread..... LOVE your write ups, and I can't wait to see this thing come together!

PS> Where's all the pics of this SUCKER? LOL. I mean, 'pics of the ''BEFORE'' body at all angles, etc., .... this IS TERRY, right? hehehehe.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:42 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks dirtdobber.. I have spoken to Ted and he tries to put out the best product that he can and the service as best as possible. He will go out of his way to get you through your project. Need more Teds in the business field.

Thanks 1986.. I try to make my threads as useful as possible. You,Dutchbelly, and me are some that I know using the Celica motor. I eventually go back and update my threads from time to time and when I get some more and useful info on the Celica 22r I will set a post just for Celica motors and what is needed to make them work. I will list where to find the info on my first post as to where to find it.

I am just thinking out loud so this may not be accurate. In the hotrod world, they use dome top pistons to increase compression ratio for more performance. I am wondering if the truck motor has the flat top for torque?? Dont know for sure. But will say using the dome in the Celica with the cutouts that they would of lost some of the compression.

One thing to use a Celica motor is the big horse shoe pipe that will be needed for the radiator. This is going to be new to me and when I get to that point will try to document it in my thread. If you know something about using a Celica motor, send me a PM or post in my thread and I will eventually combine it into a nice post. If I find out something I will put it in your thread.

Thanks southern z..I tried to get my frame with paint and it was so pitted, that I am cleaning it reall good, then priming and rubber coating. It is really solid just pitted so with out really getting after the sanding and priming, it would be alot of work. The rubber coating is shiney. If it loses it luster, might would try and prime and paint. Right now the front part has a nice shine to it. I can get the rubber coating I am using if you need me to later on.

We had some guys to lose life and limbs over there. I have been in the area 6 times since the 90s and each time I come back have a greater apprciation for what we got. I even take for granted what we have here and maybe in some ways we should as not to let them effect our way of life. I know I have wasted some oppurtunities that were given to me. Starting with school, now if I was back in school, I would be the biggest nerd with every book I could get my hands on. Back then I thought it was were you found out where the next party was.

Like Ted and Jim Sickles, they took a hobby, skill, or talent and made something of it.

Hello Chef.. Thanks..I got to talk to him twice and each time and he was really down to earth guy. He came up with some ideas and was brave enough to pursue it. He told me he tried to find something to buy and couldnt find it and made it himself and one thing led to another. Didnt know he went to Japan to better his product.

The way I understood him the internet is what put him out of business and I was under the impression it was things like Ebay or other websites that do mail orders. I am by no means a business man, but I asked him if he had thought about trying to do the same thing as the old way of things what makes or breaks companies. He said he wasnt going to. I am assuming he is an older guy and just behind the times on the internet thing.

If it was Pir##or some other sites, that is too bad. I have been to their site and have found alot of useful information. But alot of the people on there, just surprise me that they have the ability to take their next breath or wouldnt if it wasnt a natural function.

I am happy to have talked to him and what I have learned about him since from others and on the net have that much more respect for him. He made is mark on Toyota. What he started out to his peak in the business. I am sure there may have been a mistake made a time or two. But if I had been in the same shoes, there wouldnt be a time or two, more like three or four.lol

Its me and you are right. That was a big disappointment of the 88 was the lack of "Before" pics. I will get some more pics of the truck in the next couple of days and get them posted. I have been intending to, just need to get off of my duff and get it done.

Quick Reply: Terrys87 83 Build Restore