1983 toyota pickup 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 03:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I need to do that to mine.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:35 PM

Received 75 Likes on 54 Posts
Abraham
Did you jack up the rear and check to see if the brakes work?
Old 02-21-2018, 07:45 PM

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by NYHumpinUtah
Abraham
Did you jack up the rear and check to see if the brakes work?
I didn't even think about that I will make sure to testthat out tomorrow. Thanks

Last edited by Abraham Contreras; 02-21-2018 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:02 PM

Yeah, make sure it works right "Now" when it doesn't matter sitting in the driveway.
Not sure if you messed with the LSPV but after you put the front leafs in it might have changed the angle of the truck.
Just make the wheels stop when you hit the brakes, might have to raise the location of the rod on the LSPV.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:01 AM

Yeah, make sure it works right "Now" when it doesn't matter sitting in the driveway.
Not sure if you messed with the LSPV but after you put the front leafs in it might have changed the angle of the truck.
Just make the wheels stop when you hit the brakes, might have to raise the location of the rod on the LSPV.
Thanks again for the help. I'm not exactly sure how it works but if i jack up the rear end won't it change the angle of the truck as well?
Old 02-22-2018, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Abraham Contreras
Thanks again for the help. I'm not exactly sure how it works but if i jack up the rear end won't it change the angle of the truck as well?
Just jack it so the wheels are just off the ground, OR Jack the front also so it's level
The way the LSPV works as far as I know is that when you put a load in the truck and the bed goes down the rod on the valve adjusts the amount of fluid to the brake cylinder increasing the braking power.

Last edited by NYHumpinUtah; 02-22-2018 at 08:28 AM.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:41 PM

Just jack it so the wheels are just off the ground, OR Jack the front also so it's level
The way the LSPV works as far as I know is that when you put a load in the truck and the bed goes down the rod on the valve adjusts the amount of fluid to the brake cylinder increasing the braking power.
I jacked up the rear end and you were right, the rear brakes are grabbing but hardly at all. I wonder if they were always like this and just need adjustment. I don't really want to mess with that LSPV if i dont have to.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:24 PM

Hey Guys just a little update since i have not been on in a couple days.

Here is the stance of the truck after installing the new front leaf springs.I only took it down the driveway and around the block to test the brakes so I don't know how much of a difference it has made yet.

I saw the83toy paint his grill on Instagram and it came out really nice so i decided to do the same while i wait on a part. Thanks again the83toy if you are on here or ever see this

Also painted the Headlight bezels

Currenlty working on the front bumper but i dont have a picture of that yet.

Replaced all my old broken side markers as well.

Last edited by Abraham Contreras; 02-25-2018 at 08:12 PM.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:42 PM

Good news everyone, i was able to reference a part number for the Union Seat off of a different year Toyota. In case you need the Part number it is 90410-05035 i will post a picture below. I ordered the part online from Toyotapartsdeal.com to see if i would get a discontinued email but never did so you can probably just buy this at the dealer and avoid shipping charges.

I was very excited to finally finish up my power steering conversion but of course nothing ever goes as planned I jacked up the front end of the truck and filled the reservoir with ATF and turned the wheels to the left and right before turning on the truck. I then turned the truck on and repeated the process. I shortly found the pump leaking quite a bit of fluid from the flow control valve I also have a small leak coming from my steering box where the Pitman Arm connects.

Could there be a specific reason why the pump is leaking from the Flow control valve or do i just have a bad Oring? I did rebuild the pump and it doesn't seem to be leaking from anywhere else except there. I really dont want to pull the Pump out again but if i do I almost feel like just replacing it
Old 02-25-2018, 08:04 PM

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts
Truck looks good!
Did you not replace that o ring when you rebuilt the pump?
Old 02-25-2018, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by 84 yota dude
Truck looks good!
Did you not replace that o ring when you rebuilt the pump?
Ya I am pretty sure i replaced that Oring, at least i think i did
Old 02-25-2018, 09:47 PM

I jacked up the rear end and you were right, the rear brakes are grabbing but hardly at all. I wonder if they were always like this and just need adjustment. I don't really want to mess with that LSPV if i dont have to.
Sooooooo what are you going to do?
I think all you have to do is raise the LSPV rod up a bit, they sell a bracket:
http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/1979-...-9604-2-3.html
Or, make your own
Old 02-25-2018, 10:00 PM

Sooooooo what are you going to do?
I think all you have to do is raise the LSPV rod up a bit, they sell a bracket:
http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/1979-...-9604-2-3.html
Or, make your own
Thanks, i wasn't aware of the bracket. But what about the lines that go to the LSPV, will you be able to raise it with this bracket without having to mess with the lines that go to it?
Old 02-25-2018, 10:10 PM

Thanks, i wasn't aware of the bracket. But what about the lines that go to the LSPV, will you be able to raise it with this bracket without having to mess with the lines that go to it?
No, don't mess with the brake lines. This bracket goes the where the rod attaches to the axel, you raise the rod which opens the valve to allow more fluid to the brakes. You can test it just by lifting the rod when someone else hits the brakes, (with the truck off the ground) and see if your brakes stop better. Most guys just tie up the rod.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:46 AM

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts
Did you just replace the lens or the whole assembly? All of mine were completely rotten from moss and mud build up.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by jakey poo
Did you just replace the lens or the whole assembly? All of mine were completely rotten from moss and mud build up.
I replaced the whole assembly. My old ones were completely destroyed as well. I found them on Low Range Offroad.

http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/toyot...ckup/body.html
Old 02-26-2018, 08:12 AM

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts
Perfect thanks!
Old 02-26-2018, 11:53 AM

I am trying to understand the purpose of the flow control valve and how it works to try to better troubleshoot the issue before taking it all out and replacing the Oring. For example, what if there is to much pressure or not enough pressure in the system and it causes it to leak from the flow control valve I know on the newer years their is an Air control Valve but i never had one or put one on their so i'm wondering should i have one? I only have the snap ring at the end. I am going to assume no because from what i have read it is used on the EFI models or so i think.

If anyone has any input i would really appreciate it.

Last edited by Abraham Contreras; 02-26-2018 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:52 PM

No, don't mess with the brake lines. This bracket goes the where the rod attaches to the axel, you raise the rod which opens the valve to allow more fluid to the brakes. You can test it just by lifting the rod when someone else hits the brakes, (with the truck off the ground) and see if your brakes stop better. Most guys just tie up the rod.
Makes sense now. I will give this a try and see if it help. Thanks
Old 02-26-2018, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those front spring make the front higher don't they! Looks good. Mine needs some.
Do you have a link to them and how hard was the install? I have most all the tools I'd probably need.

Quick Reply: 1983 toyota pickup 4x4