Pre 84 Trucks (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

1983 Toyota Pickup.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't updated in awhile. School, work, and fixing my daily drivers has taken up most of my time. It seems like as soon as I fix my car, my truck breaks down. My car had a bent wheel for the longest time so I hadn't been driving it, finally got a 13in wheel and tire for it. I began driving it because my f150 has a leaking rear main seal and a CEL, until my tags ran out on my car. So i filled the f150 up the other day with some oil, found time to go to the DMV, and on my way up the MF'n throttle cable breaks on the highway. So my stepdad couldn't come get me, and I didn't want to pay a tow truck to come get me. So this is what I came up with:

Name:  image-59.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  102.4 KB

I had some 550 cord in my tool box, and a resistance band behind the seat of my truck. Tied the cord to the throttle body thing where the original cable goes, ran it to the cab and then tied the handle from my resistance band to it. Drove it about 20 miles like that all the way home. Very interesting to say the least...

As far as truck progress goes.... I got some IFS hubs, rear axle, and a steering box. Blasted, turned down, installed races, and painted the hubs, got the drums off the rear axle (that was a big PITA). That's about it. I still haven't gotten my sand blaster working. The air dryer I bought didn't come with a mount so I had to make one. Haven't really messed with anything since I finished the air dryer mount. I did order gears and a setup kit for my rear e-locker. I've pretty much decided I want a selectable locker for the front. I've come to the conclusion that with a selectable I will likely be spending around 1-1.5k when it's all said and done. So I may just say screw it and go with Marlins HP e-locker and be done with it, but that would be a ways down the road. Anyway, on to the pictures....

Name:  image-54.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  123.8 KB

Name:  image-55.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  109.1 KB

IFS hubs blasted and turned down.

Name:  image-56.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  122.9 KB

IFS hubs painted with races installed

Name:  image-57.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  143.9 KB

Getting the drums off the IFS rear was a big PITA. I wasn't kidding...

Name:  image-58.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  93.2 KB

Name:  image-61.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  104.9 KB

Air dryer mount

Name:  image-60.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  100.1 KB

Parts, patiently waiting to be installed!
Old 06-03-2014, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Nice hand throttle! At least you know that you could always make it home if you lost a foot on a trail... The rear drums are an absolute PITA for sure!! My BFH and a gallon of WD-40 barely did the job on mine.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:23 AM

I haven't updated this in awhile mainly because I haven't got much done on it. Up until now I've been trying to get my other vehicles in good shape. My F150 has had a rear main seal leak. So my neighbor let me use his lift and I put a oil pan gasket, RMS, flywheel, clutch, slave cylinder, and shifter bushing kit in it. The crank had a slight fingernail-catching groove in it from the old seal. I tried pushing the new one in past the groove, and the awesome part about it is after I got it all back together, the new RMS leaks worse than before. So out comes the tranny again......one day.

As for the Toyota progress, this is what I've got done so far.

- Sandblasted and painted rear axle. I'm still waiting on a rebuild kit so I can throw the shafts back in it. I got some rear disk brackets for IFS calipers, however, I'm going to try and locate calipers with an incorporated e-brake that way I don't have to use a transfer case e-brake. If I can't....no big deal. I'm also going to wait to put gears and a locker in the rear for the time being that way I can get a rolling chassis and get the engine, tranny, etc. mounted. I will just temporarily run one driveshaft if it comes down to it.
- Front axle is modified for front e-locker.
- Gears are currently being set up in the e-locker by a friend.

- Worked on half doors, however, I'm still toying ideas for an inside door latch. I'm thinking of getting some clutch/brake cable off a bike or motorcycle that way I can put the latch where I want it. I also want to sandblast the inside of the doors that way I can put POR15 on it before putting the rest of the metal on.

I also picked up what I thought was a W56 tranny, only to find out it is a G54. It did come with a transfercase, front driveshaft, and crossmember, though. I'm probably not going to use any of it except the transfer case. So if anyone is interested let me know. For the tranny, I decided I'm going to use the W59 in the tacoma, and get an adapter for the cases from Marlin. I will have spent about the same money to find a W56 to use with the 3rz as I will have spent on Marlin's adapter. Not only that, but heresay says the W59 is stronger than the W56, and it has the same amount of miles on it as the 3rz. Makes sense to me to just use the W59.

Name:  image-66.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  93.4 KB

I don't have pics of it painted black, but you get the idea.

Name:  image-67.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  100.9 KB

Name:  image-71.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  91.0 KB

Name:  image-68.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  77.3 KB

The latch and bracket came off the parts Tacoma.

Name:  image-69.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  148.3 KB

Name:  image-70.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  171.6 KB
Old 08-27-2014, 01:03 PM

I received my e-locker back today setup with 5.29s. I'm less than pleased with the result. I payed a friend to set them up an right now I'm not sure what to do. I think I'm going to just try and set them up myself. I have never set up gears, but I've done a lot of reading and I feel like I can do it if I take my time. In my opinion the contact patch makes me think the pinion is too shallow on the ring gear. It is difficult to see the pattern but the pinion isn't touching anywhere on the lower half of the ring gear. Just the top half.. And I put two indicators on the ring gear and both measured 0.029 backlash. Idk what the preload on the bearings is as I don't have the proper wrench to check it. Here are some pictures and a video.

Name:  image-73.jpg
Size:  95.0 KB

Name:  image-74.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  80.3 KB

Name:  image-76.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  116.6 KB

Old 09-13-2014, 06:36 PM

nothing but awesome man keep us posted with your progress!
Old 10-05-2014, 09:41 AM

For a moment I was going to sell this thing, but now I don't think I am.

Last edited by Cab4you26; 10-28-2014 at 02:27 PM.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd be getting my money back on those 3rd set ups , disaster waiting to happen.
Good luck with sale.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:30 PM

I found an 89 2wd on craigslist for 350. It's an extended cab and is pretty rust free. I may end up getting that and doing an SAS and engine swap on it. I'm not sure, though. I want to, but at the same time I don't. I already have a lot of time on the 83 frame and tearing it down. I'm not really interested in cab swapping because the 89 is an extended cab. However, 89-95 parts, specifically body parts, are easier to find where I live. I would say it's like that anywhere. That's a turn on for me, and so is the extra room of the extended cab. If I get the 89, I will likely sell the 83 frame and body/interior parts. What do you guys think?

Aside from that, I've been having a few bugs to work out with my front axle. I hung my springs and rear axle, but that's about it.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:21 PM

Come on after all that work?It would be a shame! The first gens are getting pretty rare and to me look much better than the more recent ones, everytime I drive mine I get nice looks and comments, and on the road it feels like nothing else I've driven. At least you could finish yours then sell it for a nice price to someone who will keep it.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:36 PM

I know. That's how I feel, too. The bad thing about my 83 frame, is where the two metal C sections meet, there is already a small amount of rust forming. I check inside the frame every so often. That alone is disappointing. I wish there was a way to powdercoat the inside of it. Or I wish someone was making frames before I started restoring mine.

I suppose the frame will last awhile as is, but who knows. For some reason Toyota metal just seem vulnerable to anything.

The 89 is appealing because the frame only has small surface rust and the cab has no underbody rust. I've also heard 2wd frames don't have the internal gusset in the frame where the frame tubes go. I'll know in a few day If I'm getting it, though.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:42 PM

At one point you got to stop worrying so much and drive the thing and have fun, if you wash it frequently and don't let it sit on dirt for long periods of time you'll be fine for a long time. Not sure about the 89 frame though, I heard the later versions were a little stronger in the front.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:21 PM

Eastwood makes a internal frame coating for rust
Old 10-30-2014, 06:20 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Originally Posted by 83Yota crawler
Eastwood makes a internal frame coating for rust
I've heard mixed reviews about the Eastwood internal frame coating - mostly leaning bad due to poor coverage, bad flow out of a shutz gun and uneven spray. I think the 3M Rustfighter is what I am going to go with on my rockers and frame.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Originally Posted by Cab4you26
What do you guys think?
Obviously, I'm a first gen kid of guy so I'd say stick with the first gen. Personally, I think they just look more classy than the second gens and I think the second gen is the worst Pickup body style that Toyota made.

(Sorry if I hurt any second gen owners' feelings... )
Old 10-30-2014, 11:44 AM

It's actually a 3rd gen body. I like the smooth lines of the 3rd gens, but I love the way 1st gens look. And I also now have access to a break, so doing my floor wouldn't be that bad.

I think I'm going to pass on it, though. I wanted it because I was thinking it would save me time from having to redo my floor since the floor in the 89 is good. Plus it's an extra cab and newer. But if you factor in all the time I have in my frame, I'm really only taking steps backwards.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:23 AM

I may as well live at school and work, but I've slowly been picking away at this thing. I've ordered a bunch of parts - clutch kit and flywheel for the 3rz, e-locker motor guards, triple sticks, I got all my adapters in for the drivetrain and both 23 spline inputs. I'm probably going to send my 2nd bad e-locker to ECGS and they'll send me a fresh one.

I'm currently disassembling the rear case and getting the sections sandblasted before I install the 23 spline input, and then I can bolt it up the range box. Aside from that, the range box is ready to go.

Name:  image_1.jpg
Size:  387.1 KB

Name:  image_2.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  345.3 KB

On a side note, wouldn't it be awesome if Toyotas had birfields this big?

Name:  image_3.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  382.6 KB

Name:  image_4.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  333.2 KB

Name:  image_5.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  373.8 KB
Old 03-29-2015, 08:25 AM

Hi there, just reading thru ur thread. Good looking truck when u got it, except for frame rot. I'm glad ur keeping it. I love 1st Gen trucks and good to see ur bringing her back. Hey that cab u got the frame from. Any chance u have the Toyota script emblems off the front fenders ? I've been searching for some for quite awhile now and can't find any reasonable in price. Also why are you using front hubs from ifs ? Bigger brakes I'm guessing, havnt searched that yet. Also nice thinking on the rigged throttle cable, lol. Thanks, keep it coming.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by ToyBoy Twink
Hi there, just reading thru ur thread. Good looking truck when u got it, except for frame rot. I'm glad ur keeping it. I love 1st Gen trucks and good to see ur bringing her back. Hey that cab u got the frame from. Any chance u have the Toyota script emblems off the front fenders ? I've been searching for some for quite awhile now and can't find any reasonable in price. Also why are you using front hubs from ifs ? Bigger brakes I'm guessing, havnt searched that yet. Also nice thinking on the rigged throttle cable, lol. Thanks, keep it coming.
Unfortunately I don't have any of the emblems for that cab. It was a friend of mine's cab and he has since scrapped it. Also, the IFS hubs are 1.5" wider on each side which is why I'm using them. I want my truck to be wider than stock and I didn't want to use wheel spacers.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:26 PM

I finished up my drivetrain for the most part today. Bolted up the range box to the trans, cleaned up the rear case, installed the 23 spline input and resealed it.

Here is what it's like to build a truck in your house:

Name:  image_7.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  346.6 KB

Resealing the case with the new 23 spline input:

Name:  image_8.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  349.0 KB

The rear case and triple sticks are only mocked up in this picture. I need to get a torque wrench that takes the replaceable inserts before I can bolt it up and torque it.

Name:  image_6.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  344.3 KB
Old 05-09-2015, 11:33 AM

gotta love yukon parts!!