Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Pulled the trigger on TW Guard Dogs-let the test thread begin!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 05:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pulled the trigger on TW Guard Dogs-let the test thread begin!

Ordered my 265/75/16 Guard Dogs day before last-hopefully they'll be here about this time next week. It doesn't seem like there are that many guys on here running them, so I figured a test thread would be in order. Once the tires get on my truck there will be some slight mods:

1.5" T-bar crank up front
Shaved bumpstops
Sway bar bye-bye
Slightly longer front shocks
14"/200lb ZUK springs in the rear
16" Tundra wheels
1" spacers
"Lincoln Locked" rear end

The truck is not a DD-it's my firewood hauler/hunting rig, occasional wheeler, which is why I decided to weld the rear. One of the first missions with the new rubber and the locked rear end will be exploring a new hunting spot where the only road in has been cut by an articulated skidder with tires taller than my truck-with chains on them to boot Though I will be using the truck to get to work when the weather is bad (DD is a Corolla) I didn't opt for the "Kedge Grip" as while it does improve winter traction, it also causes the tires to wear faster. A guy over on Marlin's forums has been testing the Guard Dogs in Montana for nearly 30K mile now and did not get the Kedge Grip either and says the tires are still great on ice and snow. Stay tuned...

Last edited by Badfish740; 03-21-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:19 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
good luck. I think you will be pleased. have over 20k on the ones on my wife's 4runner and they still look like new. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f105...runner-229005/
Old 04-04-2012, 05:09 AM

Came home to a nice surprise in the driveway yesterday-four 265/75/16 Guard Dogs! They're all on BFG MT casings (I had noted that I didn't care if the casings matched in an effort to get them here quicker) and they're pretty mean looking tires-can't wait to get them on my Tundra wheels. Unmounted they stand a full 32"-depending on pressure they will probably be a hair taller mounted on my 7" wide wheels. They're a nice size for a mildly lifted truck like mine (T-bar crank in front, ZUK spring in the rear)-the only problem is I think I'm going to have to order another one. I was intending on using an old General Grabber AT2 265/75/16 off of my old Ford as a spare, but unmounted that tire is barely 31" tall. I guess it would be OK in a pinch but I'd rather have something that matched more closely in size. Hopefully will be getting them mounted and installed Saturday.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Runnin the same, love 'em!
Old 04-09-2012, 05:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where did you take them to get mounted? Some places around here won't mount retreads...plus they seem to have a difficult time balancing them. I'm looking into the same tires, but not if its going to be a PITA to get them on.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:59 AM

Subscribed!
Old 04-09-2012, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by millerad1651
Where did you take them to get mounted? Some places around here won't mount retreads...plus they seem to have a difficult time balancing them. I'm looking into the same tires, but not if its going to be a PITA to get them on.
I loaded them up in my wife's SUV, took them to work with me and dropped them off at the gas station down the street from my office. I've heard that some places won't mount retreads, but I think it's mostly the big chains that have some "policy" about them. I picked them up on my lunch-$80 for four tires. I asked if they had a hard time balancing them and they said no, then I told them I was asking because they were retreads. When I told them how much I paid the guy who did them asked me where he could get a set

Now time for the review-first of all they look great and I'm glad I only went with 265/75/16s. They stand a full 32" tall but aren't that wide. Since I was already running 3.75" backspacing I didn't want a tire that stuck out a lot because Jersey cops love to give out tickets for that. I don't want to run mudflaps and don't want to shell out the $$$ for fender flares. 32" is just enough for the amount of lift I have too-33s would have been pushing it a bit since I really haven't done any trimming-just pinch weld pounding. You can see my initial impressions of the tires here in my build thread as well as the fit. I'll post updates on mileage and treadwear here though. The truck is not a DD so it will take a while before I get a lot of miles on them, but since this is my hunting rig/woodhauler the miles they do see will be hard-especially once I get my rear welded up. Here's a pic of the truck after I tried them out for the first time:

Old 04-18-2012, 10:20 AM

I'm thinking of going with some of those retreads.....
Old 05-01-2012, 12:00 PM

UPDATE:

Still haven't done a real trailride with them yet, but I did head out to one of my woodcutting spots specifically to hit some areas I would normally avoid when the truck was stock-one was a low lying area that did have a road going through it (made by a skidder with massive chevron treads), and the other was a steep hillside with some loose gravel and stone. In both instances the Guard Dogs performed flawlessly with no detectable wheel slip. Not only do these things dig-they're grippy as hell. Also while I was in there I picked up about 1000lbs of rock (I'm building a firepit in my backyard and wanted to use some of the local granite) which the ZUK mod helped with. I had the Treadwrights inflated to 35 psi (max is 65) which seemed to work fine. I won't be doing much on-road driving with these, but off-road I couldn't be more happy with them. It will be interesting to see how they do in the snow next winter.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:59 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
I hear that if you deflate your tires for increased traction it will void the warranty. I know that with my trail grapplers i run them 10psi in snow and 15-20 psi for the trails. Don't know if they can tell if you run them low or not.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:48 PM

Still very happy with the Treadwrights-I drive the truck once or twice a week these days for trips to the dump, picking up firewood, and the occasional quick wheeling trip. They're wearing really well-in fact that tread still looks damn near brand new! No dry rotting, cracking, chunking, or any of the other BS people were telling me was going to happen.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:00 AM

Would love to see some pics and vids of these tires in the enviroment you're describing! do you have a GoPro?
Old 08-13-2012, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by x2468
Would love to see some pics and vids of these tires in the enviroment you're describing! do you have a GoPro?
That's on the list but unfortunately I don't have one yet. Haven't had much time for wheeling lately, but hunting season is on the way!
Old 09-26-2012, 08:19 PM

I just got mine mounted today. So far so good!
Old 01-22-2013, 01:22 PM

Almost a year later (haven't been on in a long time) and I'm still loving my Treadwrights. In fact I'm probably going to get a set of Wardens for my wife's SUV once the tires on it wear out. We might even finally get some real snow to test them out on this weekend.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:40 AM

We did get some snow in early February-nothing big, but I got a chance to try the Guard Dogs out on snow covered roads and to do some snow wheeling with them (forgot to bring the camera )-best mud tires I've ever used in snow, hands down, and I didn't even get the Kedge Grip. Did a little wheeling with them yesterday:

Name:  IMG_2398_zps0ddf5bd9.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  210.4 KB

More pics here:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post52046651
Old 03-13-2013, 08:28 PM

sub'd treadwright is stamping their name on some of the sidewalls. I'm getting a set soon as I need them
Old 03-21-2013, 03:41 PM

Received 664 Likes on 456 Posts
Other First-Hand Experience?

Thanks for sharing, guys!
I need to get off-road tires for my truck. Just need the truck to get me to trailhead and back. Some on some muddy, dirt roads, some on paved mountain road with snow (usually Southern California).

Considering the BFG All-terrains, OR the treadwright Guard Dogs.

BFG AT are a safe bet for my application. However, they're pricey.

The Treadwright Guard Dogs are less expensive, and have more aggressive tread pattern.

I have only found good first-hand experiences online about the Guard Dogs. The rest are fears from people who theorize.

May I know if anyone on this forum has had any bad first-hand experience with either tire? Again, no theories please.

Tire Size:
Could not seem to find them in stock 225/75R15, so will probably get 31x10.5x15. I believe these are drop-ins on the stock rims?

TIA
Old 03-21-2013, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Thanks for sharing, guys!
I need to get off-road tires for my truck. Just need the truck to get me to trailhead and back. Some on some muddy, dirt roads, some on paved mountain road with snow (usually Southern California).

Considering the BFG All-terrains, OR the treadwright Guard Dogs.

BFG AT are a safe bet for my application. However, they're pricey.

The Treadwright Guard Dogs are less expensive, and have more aggressive tread pattern.

I have only found good first-hand experiences online about the Guard Dogs. The rest are fears from people who theorize.

May I know if anyone on this forum has had any bad first-hand experience with either tire? Again, no theories please.

Tire Size:
Could not seem to find them in stock 225/75R15, so will probably get 31x10.5x15. I believe these are drop-ins on the stock rims?

TIA
Have you considered the Wardens? Same tread pattern as the bfg at.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:49 PM

Received 664 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by benny91
Have you considered the Wardens? Same tread pattern as the bfg at.

Yes, Benny91. I like the more moderate pattern but warden's are not in stock according to their website.

Quick Reply: Pulled the trigger on TW Guard Dogs-let the test thread begin!