All Other Toyota Swaps I4, I6, Lexus V8

2jzgte + 86 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 07:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2jzgte + 86 4runner

Hey guys. its been a while since i posted anything i did.

I just sold my 95 runner in my avatar to finance my next project.
Ive got a jdm 2jzgtte with 38k miles with trans. and a 1986 4runner that is really clean. The truck will be 2wd for now and i can go one of 3 directions with it after im done swapping it in. for next years winter project.

1. I can convert to a r154/150 hybrid manual with tcase adapter and gear case. 2. remove the rear half of my a340h and swap the tail shaft in the jdm a341 and bolt it up but i dont know if it would be up for the power with a chain case. engine will eventually have a big single and 400hp. plus spline count may be different.
3. Keep it 2wd and go super long travel like total chaos or better if it exists and have fun. I dont want to SAS it. been there done that. i want to keep it lower and long travel would be sweet with all that power.
Thoughts?

anyways on to the pics

motor with some intercooler piping laying on top.

tracing some wires. thats a pain in the rear.

im thinking of dipping the valve cover for something different. I did a few little things and think it would look good. the truck will be painted tan eventually.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:58 AM

seats in the runner are leather. fronts are out of newer camry and rears out of 02 4runner. and they match believe it or not ha ha
Old 02-08-2014, 08:02 AM

i want this one to be nice. im in need of brown a pillar trim on both sides and brown inclometer if anyone has them. oh and a brown dash pad without a crack, i know i have a better chance of bottling unicorn farts but thought id ask. uncracked dash pads are like hens teeth.

Does anyone have expirence with SEM paint? i would like to lighten the dark brown to the newer tan color to match the seats and freshen up the plastic thats still intact.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:44 AM

anyone know of some type of motor mount adapters for this application? i was going to fab them but would buy them if the price is right.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've repaired a few things with interior rattle can paint. The seats in my T100 were brown but now light grey to match the rest.

The interior in my 87 is all 3 shades of brown but was once Maroon, Gray, and Blue. I couldn't find all the brown interior parts so I started buying different colors and painted it. Including my Saturn seat swap.

The key is prep. The stuff your painting has to be cleaned good. Once clean spray it. My 87's been done for well over 3 years and it still looks new. No flakes and no Light spots in the seats from wear.

I believe mine was plasticote brand. I will double check tho.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:40 AM

nice ill look into that stuff.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:59 AM

i was curious if i can repair the cracks and use the sem texture coat to tie it all back in then paint it.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:29 PM

LMAO.....

Here I'm bragging about the paint I used and after finding a old can I realized it's exactly what you were asking about.

Anyway I purchased 2 cans of the SEM COLOR COAT in a light gray. I painted my front seats, leather boot and trim around shifters, visors, and some other little things. Needless to say the paint is awesome. I'm a big neat freak with the inside of my truck. So I'm constantly wiping it down with armoral or something like that. The paint hasn't showed no wear. The seats look great. I left a little brown square under the center armrest just to show people that don't believe I painted them.

If you paint cloth you must let it dry then once it's dry you gotta brush it with a course hairbrush to loosen the cloth back up. Then your good as new. The SEM paint cost a bit tho. I believe it's around $10.00 a can here in WV.
Name:  54D86A99-2977-4C54-9513-26C111581C3F.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  119.1 KB
Once again you gotta clean everything good before spraying tho. I used acetone to wipe my clean. Leave the windows down too. You will smell this stuff for a week straight. I swear to that.

If you do a search there's a few threads on here were a few members have repaired there dash pads using fiberglass. There's plenty of info and lots of pictures. The finished product has turned out great from there pics. Some member here even replaced the dash vents with newer ones from a ford. They looked great too. Another member added a pod to his pad for a gauge. There's a lot of info here on YT about how to fix it and painting it. You may wanna check that out too.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:08 AM

thats the stuff i was looking at. i will only have to do the dash and door panels if i can find better ones. plus a pillar pieces but your right i guess they can be any color since im changing the dark brown to light tan. i liked the tan in my 95, the 86 brown looks like used tp ha ha.

On another note i ended up painting my 2jz valve cover instead of dipping it. ive never seen a red one so.....

Old 02-10-2014, 08:11 AM

timing belt and tensioner are coming in at noon. ill post pics after work of the intstall.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:21 AM

Valve cover looks great. Nice and glossy.

The interior in my 87 consist of 3 shades of brown. I have a tan, dark brown and light brown.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:14 AM

well i didnt take any pictures of the timing belt job but i was in for a nice suprise. It turns out it was really really easy. as an added bonus the tensioner i recieved from napa was NTN an oem manufacturer and it was way cheaper than the same one from the dealer.

Here is where im at. I am still searching for a supra radiator and dual 10 in pusher fans with some sort of thermostat. I am also in need of a drive shaft that is about 5 inches longer than what ive got or a donor to lengthen.

what do you guys think. will a 3vze radiator cool a 3.0 jz motor? i have a brass 3vze 3.0 radiator now and it pretty much overcools my 22re. I use cardboard in the winter to get the motor warm enough ha ha its that efficent. If needed i will use the supra radiator but will save the money here if i can.

I also need motor mounts. there are some made to bolt a 2jzgte into a 86 2wd truck in place of the 22re. I dont see why i cant use these since its the same motor swap and im going to be 2wd for a while, unless the frame is that much different between 2wd vs. 4wd.
any ideas here on the mounts? celica conversion mounts instead?

That is all I am waiting on. I do not want to start when im not 100 percent ready to finish without making 100 trips to the parts store. it needs to go down over a long 3 or 4 day weekend.

I am also in need of a belt number for an AC delete.

Any advise would be greatly apreciated.

here is the motor all buttoned back up after the TB belt install

Old 02-13-2014, 10:28 AM

http://www.suprasport.com/1JZGTE-and...ne_p_5411.html

these are the swap mounts i was talking about. will they work for a 4x4 application?
Old 02-14-2014, 08:52 AM

well i got most of the wiring done yesterday. at least as much as i can before i put it in the truck
Old 02-17-2014, 03:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey how and where did you get the Motor? looks awesome
Old 02-17-2014, 12:46 PM

jdm ebay supplier. Its cheaper getting a jdm one that is low miles than rebuilding a us spec one. i paid a little more for under 40k but most of the time you can spend less and get a decent engine. its a roll of the dice though as the history is mostly unknown. a reputable supplier is the best way to go. i paid 2k with free shipping.

search ebay motors 2jzgte engine jdm. youll get all sorts of options.

I would have gone with the 1jz-gtte but it was never offered in the usa and it would have been harder to sneak past the emmision nazis.

I am waiting to get paid at the end of the month to get the rest of my parts. then comes the tax return so i should be set to kick this party off in march depending when i get my taxes back.

I
Old 02-18-2014, 07:12 AM

Sweet build!! Should be pretty awesome when you get it done. Are you in Castle Rock, Colorado?

I'm almost positive there is no difference between the 2wd and 4wd frames, at least not as far as the motor mount location is concerned. Those motor mounts should work fine as long as you have oil pan clearance.

The V6 radiator you have will probably be fine, although climbing colorado passes in the summer time can produce a lot of heat. Hood vents and powerful fans can go a long way in this case. I'd look into putting the biggest fans you can fit in there.

I went with an aluminum Celica radiator (like the supra radiator, but about an inch shorter so as to avoid a body lift) and moved it forward enough to fit a couple pulling fans behind it. I did this to avoid blocking any air from getting to the radiator (as you would if you had pusher fans). I originally went with a 13" and 9" due to space, but I'm going to be upgrading the 9" to a 12" before it gets warm again. It ran fairly hot last summer and I'd like to get more cooling capacity this summer.

Transmission wise, I was able to bolt the Tacoma R150 straight to a 7m with a R154 bellhousing. The input shaft length was about .25" longer and all it did was push the pilot bearing back into the crankshaft cavity a bit further. You could do some measuring and see if this would work with the 2JZ or not. It gets around doing crazy hybrid stuff and you can find Tacoma R150's in junkyards for fairly cheap.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:00 PM

nice thanks for the advice.

now what year celica radiator did you use? im going to go with hood pins and push it forward to accommodate a couple puller fans.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:01 PM

im going to keep the jdm trans and convert it to 4wd and see how long a tcase will hold up to 4wd launches.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:36 PM

I used an 86-89 Celica GT-4 aftermarket aluminum radiator. Not sure how that compares to the V6 truck radiator cooling wise, but all the hoses line up nicely on the 7m and it left me room to get a couple pull fans behind it.

Quick Reply: 2jzgte + 86 4runner