3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

It had officially began, 3.0 auto to 3.4 manual in 92 ex-cab

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 08:02 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by UKrunner
My cell phone data cable appears to have died so I cant take pics for you. I have a modified setup so its not representative of the stock crossover. I have 0.75 inch clearance from the brake lines, 2.00 from the fuel line and 3.00 from the frame rail. It's a 2.00" exhaust. Theres maybe 1.00" from the firewall insulation. Everything seems cool enough - I tested it with a thermocouple, and theres plenty of room for flex. I mounted a webcam in the engine bay, put the car in 4lo and floored it. The engine tilts over but theres still 0.25 inch clearance. I judged it to be good enough.
Well i am not dropping it today so no need for pics that soon. whenever you get a chance would be great though. I'd like to see what you did. The flexibility of the lines seems easy enough to solve with a flex line. However, the length to balance out pressure and flow between the circuits I wonder if that would screw up my braking.

Last edited by dntsdad; 11-28-2009 at 09:02 AM.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, with some grinding done on the cross-over exit flange you can see where the flange still made some contact with the UCA mount:

Still had enough material to remain a safe distance from the gasket:

Most of the griding will be on the converter flange and it comes close to one of the gaskets:

The muffler shop had to cut and reposition the cat in place. I did most of the flange grinding before went to the shop, but they were struggling to get the cat installed so they did more grinding:

Without the body lift there should be enough space for the cross-over, but I highly doubt it can be installed/removed with the engine in place.

With a body lift you can install the cross-over with the engine in place. Removing it is a little difficult but very doable. With your 1.5" lift, removal should be far easier. I would install the body lift now. One trick to help with the removal would be to remove the studs from the driver side exhaust manifold and use nuts & bolts. The cross-over will hang up on the studs, so removing the studs will eliminate this hassle.

If you do a tranny swap, you will need the correct ECU. The BAR referee is going to read the vehicle configuration data from the ECU. Doesn't matter if you can trick the ECU, etc... . Make sure the ECU matches the transmission type. Your transmission type will be printed on the BAR sticker, so do your tranny swap now because doing it later will require another trip to the referee.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:51 AM

I have some pics here that show the brake lines. You will also need to do a little bending of the fuel line.

https://www.yotatech.com/50987550-post145.html

I need to make a correction. It's the torsion bar socket that makes contact with the flanges, not the UCA mount, and you'll need to accommodate for it's rotating close to the flange. If you reuse the old engine isolators, you may have even more interference.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:51 AM

nice a ref sticker, i remember those from my honda days
Old 11-28-2009, 10:53 AM

The first sticker I ever saw was from a guy who did a writeup on his Honda swap.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by UKrunner
I dont think it was me. At least I dont remember seeing a drain valve. I used the 3.0 mounts because the junk yard just cut straight through the 3.4 mounts with a plasma torch.
That's why I said don't quote me

I know I read about it in one post or another. I just can't remember who had the drain in their block that they had to clearance.

Old 11-28-2009, 11:54 AM

An additional word of caution when you mix ECUs between different years & vehicles.

Your 4Runner donor does not have the EGR system, but from my research while doing my swap, nearly all '95.5 - '98 California Tacomas and nearly all California T100s have it, so if you get an ECU from one of these vehicles you will be required to have an EGR system. In addition to buying more components, you would need to drill and tap the unmachined boss on the air chamber to install the EGR valve:

Just make sure you can ID any ECU you plan to buy to avoid potential grief down the road.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:07 PM

UUUggggggg....thanks for the info Cadman....i think.

All that was expected but i never thought about the EGR. What a pain the ass that will be.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm so glad we don't have your system. I know you have to control the emissions from your truck and I would never suggest defeating that, but man it's nice to not have to jump through all of those hoops up here.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:29 PM

yup, you would think by taking the time and expense of putting in a cleaner, more efficient motor and replacing my oil leaking, POS 3.0 they would put my picture in the paper shaking Arnold's hand and Al Gore kissing my feet. Instead they make it hard as hell to make it legal.

I miss my Jeep. I stuck a crate GM 350 in that with a Tuned Port Injection from a late 80's Corvette. Nice and easy and no smog needed. Ran cleaner, stronger, and got twice the fuel economy from the AMC V8 it replaced.

Well I guess I am on the hunt for a 4runner ecm from a factory 5speed with 4x4 preferably. How hard could that possibly be??
Old 11-29-2009, 11:46 AM

I think that I found a place that seems to have quite a few ECMs from 96-97 Runners that are 5speeds from factory and a few are even 4x4. I'll call tomorrow and see if they can provide the VIN from the donor Runner. If not. I'll pass as I will probably need a VIN i would think to get techinfo from. Hopefully there is no issue with grabbing that from an out of state vehicle from the ref. I know Cadman said his ref didn't care that his motor was from Oregon, but who knows what this one will say.

If I get a 5 speed ECM from a runner what are the chances that I will not have to buy a new harness. Assuming the plugs are the same, couldnt I repin mine to the 5 speed EWD, or even easier if its possible, just not use the trans wires/plugs. Could it be that simple? Or am i dreaming?
Anything else that I am not anticipating of that someone can think of?

Worst case scenario, we go auto. I have the transmission and transfer sitting here. Shifter, brackets, everything. I just wanted to stay 5 speed.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:51 AM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
dont know if you're still looking for the 5spd ecu and harness http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/pts/1488248372.html thats close to me. Push come to shove i could go over there and get it for you and make sure you get the obd2 port and extra plug needed for the ecu.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:42 PM

thanks. I contacted him and the harness and ecm are gone.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:40 AM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
I'll see if i can find anything else in my neck of the woods. if you had an ecm part number i may be able to get you a matching harness part number.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:41 PM

I think I found another one in Colorado Springs with a matching harness for a pretty fair price. Hate buying something so far away withut seeing it.

Still unclear on how taking a 49 state ecm and harness will affect my standing in California as far as the BAR referee goes. Cadman says that his ref didnt care where the motor came from so i cant imagine why they would care about just the ecm. Its very hard to find an ecm and harness for a 3.4 runner with manual. At this point I dont even care if it was 4x4. I am not even sure how that affects anything that I am doing. I dont have add anymore, and if the dashlight doesn't work i don't care. I know when its in 4x4 and I could always rig something off the transfer case.

anyone know what when they hook up to the OBD2 plug if it will tell them the state where the ecm came from. I would assume it can read the intended VIN of the car it came from and from there they will know its a Colorado ECM. I wonder if that kills me.

I called my local ref but apparently I have to make a phone appointment to talk to him. So i did that I can expect a phone call back "in the next 5-6 days". GREAT!!

Did get the EVAP box that I bought off a forum in today and that is in great shape so that was good. Felt like I got a good deal at $50 shipped.

Anyway, I'll post back when the ref calls. Dont want to buy anything until I talk to him and know what he is thinking. I have found 3 different ECMs around for anywhere from 60-140 but dont want to jump on them till i know whats the master plan.......according to the ref.

Anyone know of a web resource that will list out an ecm and what it came from by the part number? that wold be a big help. Half the time I dont think these guys know and are making it up.

Last edited by dntsdad; 12-02-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by dntsdad
anyone know what when they hook up to the OBD2 plug if it will tell them the state where the ecm came from. I would assume it can read the intended VIN of the car it came from and from there they will know its a Colorado ECM. I wonder if that kills me.
Found your build-up thread...here's my thoughts on this issue...

I took my 3RZ-swapped 86 4Runner in to the ref a month before the "new" regulations came out. From what I saw on the ref's OBD2 scanner was the first 5 digits of the vin only.

Tip: Tell the ref what he needs to know only, (i.e make,year of vehicle the engine came out of). My donor engine came out of a Tacoma that was originally sold in Maryland, then relocated to Texas and then met it demise in CA. I had the VIN and verified it thru carfax. The ref did ask me if my donor engine is CA certified. I knew it wasn't, and told him I had no idea if was or not. At that point, I didn't want to ruin any chance of passing the inspection.

With the new engine change laws in effect, you should have an easier time passing the ref inspection and getting your sticker.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:12 AM

When the ref hooks up the scanner it tells him whether the ECM is 49 or 50 state, not what state it came from. It also has all the info on what emissions devices it needs. Both referees aksed me what vehicle my engine came from, probably to give me a chance to be up front for some reason, but they get the info from the ECU anyways so I don't know why they bother with that. After the first referee asked, he came back 10 minutes later with a diagram and list of emissions devices I needed to have and asked me again if this was what I had. Go figure.

Emissions devices are the same on 96-98 4Runners for Federal & California, so thats basically a none issue for the ref.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:50 AM

thanks guys. hopefully the referee calls back today.

Struck out on the harness in Colorado but I think i found a wrecked unmolested setup in Miss that looks promising.

jmsdad....welcome and stick around

Last edited by dntsdad; 04-04-2021 at 09:18 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:22 PM

Ok so struck out again. They had the engine COMPARTMENT harness and appantly the first guy I talked doesnt know the difference.

Anyway, talk to the ref today and he advised me of the exhaust. He said that even if all I did was cut the pipe, rotate the CAT, and then reweld I would fail. NO MODIFICATIONS AT ALL!!!

As far as the ecms go, he said that as long as there is not a ca. spec ecm then i can use any one. if there is, then i have to use it. Talked to the Toyota dealer and of course there is. 89661-3D590 apparently is what I need, and of course a Google search turned up not much.

Anyway, I got to thinking that why couldn't I keep my auto harness, buy a 3.4 , manual, 4x4 ecm (this ca. spec one if I can find) and then repin my auto harness to the 5 speed ecm?

It would take some studying of the EWD's but anyone think this is possible?
Old 12-04-2009, 08:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You cant use a manual ecm because it will not shift your transmission.
Auto ecu will work with auto and manual tranny.
Manual ecu will only work with manual tranny. Unless you want to manually operate the solenoids with switches in the dash!

Last edited by UKrunner; 12-04-2009 at 08:03 PM.

Quick Reply: It had officially began, 3.0 auto to 3.4 manual in 92 ex-cab