3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

3.4 swap Vehicle Speed Sensor question

Old 11-26-2012, 11:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
3.4 swap Vehicle Speed Sensor question

I haven't been getting any responses about this particular question i have so i figured i'd start a new thread on it to get some attention. Anyhow here is my question, how do i get the speedometer to work? here is what i've got/done:

Donor:
1996 T100 4x4 M/T
Mechanical Speed Sensor

Recipient:
1993 Pickup 4x4 M/T
Electronic Speed Sensor

Since the donors harness does not have provision for the VSS (vehicle speed sensor). I utilized the 3 pin connector that plugs into the t-case (VSS connector) from my recipient and soldered in a pig tail to go into the cab. Done. THEN i researched my EWD's on my pickup diagrams it tells me i should have a G-B in my pin 1, G-R in my pin 3 and a G-L in my pin 2. what i actually have is a G-R in my pin 1, G-L in my pin 3 and a B-O in my pin 2. I assumed that as long as i soldered wire color for wire color at my correct body harness connector (C2) it would work. well it doesn't. thats problem/question #1

Problem/question #2:
my donor's ecu has a (G) wire that my EWD for the donor says its for my SPD. and on my pickup's ecu it has a G-L wire from my C1 connector that my EWD says its for my SPD1. I also assumed to solder those two wires together so they are connected.

I have not done the "tach mod" yet as i just found out yesterday it needs to be done. So, is there something im missing here????? its drivin me nuts.

Thanks guys

Last edited by Austin Marr; 11-26-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Austin Marr
Problem/question #2:
my donor's ecu has a (G) wire that my EWD for the donor says its for my SPD. and on my pickup's ecu it has a G-L wire from my C1 connector that my EWD says its for my SPD1. I also assumed to solder those two wires together so they are connected.

I have not done the "tach mod" yet as i just found out yesterday it needs to be done. So, is there something im missing here????? its drivin me nuts.

Thanks guys
You don't need the tach mod to be done before speed sensor stuff to work. I know from experience.

Also the SPD on the ECU goes to the speed sensor on the combo meter. (IH1 20 G-L to E12 12 G-O on mine)

Last edited by vasinvictor; 11-27-2012 at 07:25 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:11 AM

Ok i think thats what i've got hooked up right now, the wire that what would have been hooked up to the SPD terminal of the 3.0 ECU i now have hooked up to the wire that IS the SPD1 terminal on the 3.4 ECU

Also, i thought you have to do the tach mod to get the RPM gauge to work??? reading dntsdad's thread thats what he made it sound like. because the rpm gauge runs off of the distributor cap and rotor on the 3.0 so since we've eliminated that to an igniter and coil packs we need to solder in that resistor and connect those two little things on the back of the tach??

Last edited by Austin Marr; 11-27-2012 at 08:15 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:32 AM

Yeah, you need to do the tach mod for tach to work.

But yeah your SPD - SPD1 wiring sounds correct. You're still going to throw a code until you a speed signal from your tcase to your combo meter, but you knew that. I'm just not sure about that one. Mine was mechanical tcase to mechanical speedo so easy peasy. Maybe you should look into swapping clusters to a mechanical type?

Also, I know Marlin used to make a mechanical to electric VSS http://www.marlincrawler.com/transfe...eed-sensor-mci. Hopefully somebody else knows for sure. I'd strongly look into getting a mechanical SR5 cluster out of, say, a 1995 4runner (like mine)
Old 11-27-2012, 09:29 AM

really? got any pictures of what the back of yours looks like or a 95' runner? the guy that i bought the donor from gave me a cluster and mentioned something about it but i dont remember what he said about it.....its got what looks like somewhere for a cable to go to but im not sure....i'll put a picture up of it when i get home at about 6pm today....

that connector from marlin would be great but i dont have a mechanical sensor in the t-case. i've got the electric one. it does tell me however what my pin 1, 2 and 3 does though. maybe i can tie in my pin 1 into my ecu SPD terminal on the 3.4 to see if maybe that will send power to it....

I got ahold of the wab it will fab it guy on facebook who has been doin swaps like crazy for guys and he's gonna ask his buddy who ran into this same issue. we'll see if i get anything. in the mean time though im going to start pulling the dash apart (my least favorite task ) and solder in the resistor on the tach.

Last edited by Austin Marr; 11-27-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The swap you're doing is fairly different then mine having been a 2wd manual donor that I swapped the 3.4L into. But mine originally had the VSS in the cluster. Well I'm running all aftermarket autometer stuff. So... off memory, I think I used a 4 signal square wave VSS from these guys. I know it was from these guys, the 4 signal square wave is a little off memory so don't hold me to that feature. Some research though if this looks like the way you need to go to double check would be advised! LOL

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Spe...eedometer.html
Old 11-27-2012, 10:24 AM

Hey that's pretty cool. I wasn't aware of another maker of those things.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:27 AM

You stated in orig post that it was a mechanical speed sensor in your doner?
Old 11-27-2012, 10:35 AM

yes. it was mechanical sensor from the donor. VSS in the recipient
Old 11-27-2012, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by sirhk100
The swap you're doing is fairly different then mine having been a 2wd manual donor that I swapped the 3.4L into. But mine originally had the VSS in the cluster. Well I'm running all aftermarket autometer stuff. So... off memory, I think I used a 4 signal square wave VSS from these guys. I know it was from these guys, the 4 signal square wave is a little off memory so don't hold me to that feature. Some research though if this looks like the way you need to go to double check would be advised! LOL

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Spe...eedometer.html
thats good info there. how did you get that VSS to work in your t-case
Old 11-27-2012, 10:39 AM

yes. it was mechanical sensor from the donor. VSS in the recipient
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the situation, but the Marlin adapter I showed you converts your cable t-case (your doner) to an electrical output (recipient) which could be wired directly to your combometer.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:54 AM

thats good info there. how did you get that VSS to work in your t-case
I'm 2wd so not applicable... That's why I'm not sure if any of those would work for you but I figured I'd toss the link out just in case. I was manual cable with VSS in the gauges, I ditched the gauges though so doing the wiring stuff wasn't an option for me. I kept my '89 2WD 5 speed manual trans so this was the only thing I found to work. Like I said though, totally different application but they have toyota stuff so maybe you'll get lucky or someone else might... Just ignore the fact it's a jag V8 swap shop, they have some other goodies hidden in there.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by vasinvictor
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the situation, but the Marlin adapter I showed you converts your cable t-case (your doner) to an electrical output (recipient) which could be wired directly to your combometer.
haha sorry man, i kept my 3.0 trans (r150 or r150f not sure which one). therefore there is no mechanical cable in the t-case. what i have in my t-case is this:
http://www.marlincrawler.com/transfe...eed-sensor-oem
Old 11-27-2012, 11:03 AM

I'm 2wd so not applicable... That's why I'm not sure if any of those would work for you but I figured I'd toss the link out just in case. I was manual cable with VSS in the gauges, I ditched the gauges though so doing the wiring stuff wasn't an option for me. I kept my '89 2WD 5 speed manual trans so this was the only thing I found to work. Like I said though, totally different application but they have toyota stuff so maybe you'll get lucky or someone else might... Just ignore the fact it's a jag V8 swap shop, they have some other goodies hidden in there.
Thank you for your input man! so you swapped a 3.4 into a 2wd rig? single cab? if so that thing must haul arse
Old 11-27-2012, 11:15 AM

Yes, 2WD 5 speed manual but extra cab.

it's not exactly your normal run of the mill 2wd truck though. LOL

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...-heavy-244344/

Last edited by sirhk100; 11-27-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:35 AM

Yes, 2WD 5 speed manual but extra cab.

it's not exactly your normal run of the mill 2wd truck though. LOL

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...-heavy-244344/

WOW! thoroughly impressed! that thing is sick. nice work man! wish you lived closer to help me build a cage like that!!! that's identical to what i want to do
Old 11-27-2012, 12:33 PM

Not to get off track but thanks, it's a lot of fun but a lot of work too. I'm hoping to actually "finish" it next summer. Stronger spindles, better upper control arms and UCA frame mounts and some pimp my ride interior stuff like a headliner and carpeting. Maybe even splurge and put a heater in it! LOL The race truck is well, a race truck, it' doesn't get any of the pimp my ride stuff! LOL
Old 11-27-2012, 12:42 PM

this is true
Old 11-27-2012, 03:25 PM

haha sorry man, i kept my 3.0 trans (r150 or r150f not sure which one). therefore there is no mechanical cable in the t-case. what i have in my t-case is this:
http://www.marlincrawler.com/transfe...eed-sensor-oem
Just to make sure, so you're running the stock trans and tcase to the stock combometer? You should just be matching the colors back up again. The ECU gets it info from the combo meter, which you have wired up correctly. You just need to get signal from the stock tcase to the stock combo meter.

Link me to your EWDs and I can take a look.

Last edited by vasinvictor; 11-27-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:10 PM

here is the pic of the combo meter the guy gave me:

and yes to all the above you've said. i have the ewd's saved onto my computer....not sure how to attach them here. i can e-mail them to you if you want

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3.4 swap Vehicle Speed Sensor question