Engine Swaps Swapping an engine in your Toy, here is where to learn how

Keep 22r or go back to factory 22re

Old 10-19-2012, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keep 22r or go back to factory 22re

I recently picked up a 1986 4X4 SR5 that originally had a 22re. Someone had changed the motor out and installed a 22r. They graciously cut the wiring harness during their "hack job" and several other pieces just don't look done properly.

The 22r isn't running, but I've only had it two days and haven't had a chance to look at it to see if I can even get it running.

Here is my question of your educated and experienced opinion:
1. Should I replace this motor with the correct 22re? (obviously need to get a new harness and ECU)
2. Should I keep the 22r in it and make the best of what I have? (rebuild or replace with another 22r)

This truck is being built for my son who will be old enough to drive in about a year and a half. He will mainly just be going to school and back. We have this time to bring the truck back up to par and get it running well.

Thanks!!!
Old 10-22-2012, 04:34 PM

Had a chance to play with it today and I believe a rod has snapped. I can turn the engine about 1/2 revolution in either way before it will come to a dead stop. I even removed the plugs and rocker arm assembly just to make sure it hadn't jumped time and was hitting a valve. Started working on taking things off to pull the motor next.

Looks like this motor is done for.

Leaning towards a basic 22r with a Weber and a header. I don't have to take this one through inspection.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Old 11-02-2012, 04:11 PM

22r ,weberand a header would be a great start for a young person ,i would think.

Mark
Old 11-02-2012, 05:44 PM

I have two 85's one carb'd, one EFI. Both have their pros and cons, well more pros with the EFI... But my carb'd truck runs great and has never left me stranded. 240,000 and still going strong. I'd stay with the carb'd since that is what you currently have. In the interim search for a complete factory EFI harness. That way you and your son will have a nice project later
Old 11-02-2012, 06:30 PM

carbs are great efi is better! like he said its set up now for carb, all you need is a motor,get it and throw it in.but if you can get a efi harness and stuff for later then you could always switch to a re.i usualy look for a complete truck with a bad frame or rotted cab or something like that that can be bought cheap.now youll have every thing you need for that motor.usualy youll have enough parts left over to sell and recoup most of your money.i just bought one for 500.00 for the motor and by the time i sell off the left overs motor should be free! front fenders 50.00 hood 50.00 doors 50.00 front rear axles 75.00 bed 400.00 tranny t-case driveshafts lites interior etc.etc. get the idea? find local toyota offroaders and youll sell parts fast. good luck and have fun.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:03 PM

I'm sure your son would rather drive the efi, since they're better for a young guy, but a carbd motor is perfectly fine. Power is about a 5hp difference, so one's really no better than the other. EFI is just easier to live with until the efi system itself needs work, but that wouldn't be for a while with some small preventative maintenance when it's installed. To me, it'd be worth the wiring harness purchase to get the EFI, but that's a personal opinion. By the way, whatever you get, have a metal head gasket put on.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:47 PM

i agree do the gasket and throw a timing chain kit in it while your at it. these are the only two items that ive ever seen fail other than self inflicted damage due to exsecive abuse and neglect. there is one other thing that i would do and that is to remove the oil pan and clean it out and the "screen" going to the oil pick up tube. these seem to get plugged up from plastic wearing off the t-chain guides. just to repeat myself on the 22r or 22re, carbs are great efi is better!!!! any possible cons of going with a carb are for the most part corrected by efi systems. i can twist an efi truck to tha verge off tipping over (flopping) and bog it down below 600 rpms and not stall it. efi will run upside down, if it could get oil, and doesnt rely (much) on vacumn to suply fuel ,hense the low rpm. carbs have a bowl that needs to be, for the most part, held level so that it dont spill and flood (or run out of) gas on steep hills. at low rpms (-1000) manifold vac decreases and and air flow slows which no longer draws proper fuel and stalls. efi does what a carb does but better over all conditions, better = mpg! efi can be a pia to work on if they fail or get clogged but by eliminating the egr and basic maintainence can be fairly simple to understand. dont get me wrong i still love a sbc with a holley!! but it dont idle below 1200 rpms and i keep that on level ground at wot, it seems to do that well.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:20 PM

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm still up in the air about whether to go carb or efi. I have a guy that is donating his 22re to us. It needs a simple rebuild though.

EFI has certain benefits, but have you ever read the book One Second After?

Carb could have definite benefits if you believe something like this could ever happen!
Old 11-06-2012, 05:54 PM

Yeah emp doesn't bother the carb!!
Old 11-06-2012, 07:04 PM

no. never read it ,should i ? fill me in with some details.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:16 PM

Hahaha, well if you're worried about the war of the worlds happening or something, remember that you've still got am electric starter!!! hahaha! On another note, if you're being given a 22-re, I say go for it! The harness is pretty easy to work with as far as those things go. You could tell by looking at my truck I don't have a wealth of personal experience in the matter, but I've been working around my harness a lot lately with my ignition issue I've got a post on. May have fixed it but anyway, you see what I'm getting at. I don't believe putting in the harness made to go in that truck would be too difficult.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:21 PM

No need for emp, sigh, looks like obammer won
Old 11-07-2012, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by lobukbuild
no. never read it ,should i ? fill me in with some details.
It's a neat book. Set in modern day and terrorists light off some nuclear weapons above the USA to kill everything electronic. (Ex. Iran or North Korea). The book does a great job showing how life would change quickly and how few people would survive it. The main character is a history professor that uses lessons learned from past civilizations to help his community survive.

Electric starter yes, but you can push start a 5 speed.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:47 PM

I have an 87 4x4 with a 22R engine from a 1984 truck. The carb has just recently went bad and the vacuum lines are a complete mess thanks to the owner before me. I have a 86 22RE truck complete and was debating on doing the swap but I have some questions.

1. What are the pros and cons of having fuel injection.
2. Is it going to be a huge headache?
3. Will the 86 22RE intake fit the 84 model head?

any and all help will be greatly appreciated thanks
Old 11-09-2012, 08:04 PM

pros and cons = read the thread / huge head ache = no not if you got the whole set up in another truck / intake fit = im not sure look up the gaskets at a parts store and see if theyre the same. im sure there is a thread on doing it if you search here in the right section. the fuel pump will probaly be the biggest pia. kinda forgot about that part till now. efi will require an electric pump of a certain pressure. if your trk was origanaly an efi it should be there.