Solid Axle Swaps, All Years Anything SAS related

Getting started! Questions on axle prep.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 05:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting started! Questions on axle prep.

Good morning ladies and gentlemen of the interwebs! I am rejuvenated this Monday morning with bits and pieces of my new project rattling around in my head. That is why I'm here, searching for answers.

First of all, sorry for the lack of pics, I'm actually doug this from my iPhone, and though I love the yotatech mobile site, I don't believe pics are possible from it. I'll post a couple of the axle when i get home tonight.

For a long time I've struggled with which direction to go with my trusty 93 ext. cab p/u. The 240k mile V6 and auto tranny are running well (notwithstanding an oil leak which will be taken care of during the course of this project), and the truck no longer serves as my everyday driver. I have no real experience with major upgrades such as an SAS, but have always wanted to try it, and it just so happens that my boss is a welder/fabricator by trade (I work at a rail car repair shop) and is getting ready to install a lift at his home shop... So that made the decision easier. After battling with it and researching for months and months, I decided to go all in with a SAS.

Before I go any further, let me thank the Waskillywabbit from Wabfab.org. Saturday morning when I decided to go track down a donor axle, he got a text message at about 8am his time requesting assistance. I went from my home in northern Kentucky to BFE southern Ohio to see a supposed 85 axle I found on Craigslist. After much debate with the owner, and passing back and forth pictures to the Wabman, it was determined that the axle was actually 79-81. I was initially disappointed, but after negotiations with the owner, I wound up getting it pretty cheap, so I'm off and running.

I spent a huge chunk of the rest of my weekend cleaning and doing some basic disassembly... And let's be honest, more research than anything.

Plans:
I plan to purchase the SAS kit from Wabfab, both front and rear. I'll likely ask him to simply send me some of the basics first so I can get the axle all prepped and blasted, and everything welded on it as need be. Then, get the remainder of the kit later to do the install. I have a Detroit locker sitting on my work bench for the rear end, and will likely leave the front open for the time being. I really want to be able to drive this thing safely and comfortably on the road for many miles to and from wheeling adventures. Currently sitting on 32" tires on stock suspension, will definitely go to at least 33's, but no more than 35's for the foreseeable future. No major rock-crawling in my plans, but I want to be pretty confident with the truck just about anywhere, including paved surfaces.

So, like I said, I've done a lot of research, but still have some questions. Please please please, lend me your assistance. Not fair to make the Wabbit my only sounding board for this shenanigan.

Gearing:
Given my possible tire choices, thinking 4.88 or 5.29. Thoughts?

Hubs:
I understand that because my axle is an older version, I may have to replace so hub parts to make it work. What do I need, and where do I find it?

Manual Locking Hubs:
The axle has ASCO hubs, which I understand to be basically the same as Aisins. My truck currently has Aisins on the IFS, are they interchangeable if need be? More importantly, how do I get the SOB's off the axle!!!! I've read quite a bit over the last couple of days, but really don't want to ruin them. The cone washers just aren't budging. They are soaking right now with PB, but is it just a matter of beating the housing senseless with a brass drift and BFH until the cone washers pop off, or is there a better theory?

Dust Covers:
They're the only REALLY rusty part. Necessary? Do I need go replace or can I just leave them off?

Again, thanks in advance for any advice guys, I'll probably post lots more ?'s as they arise, and hopefully so preliminary pics tonight!
Old 11-01-2010, 05:15 AM

Oh, one more thing, since it is a 79-81 without that famous 84-85 truss, can I add such a truss?
Old 11-02-2010, 02:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
5.29's at least as it's an auto and 33's. (5.71's if it's 35's)....

Hubs from IFS to solid are not interchangeable. (I believe)

To get the cone washers of I have the nut on a few threads (keeps cone from flying off) and then hit the hub right above the cone washer with a brass drift.

Yes you can add an after market truss...

http://www.wabfab.org/Armor/Axle-Gus...ypage.tpl.html
Old 11-02-2010, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by 91 4Runner
5.29's at least as it's an auto and 33's. (5.71's if it's 35's)
Haha, there is no way in the world that I would go 5.71's! Look, I daily drive my 1995 sas'd 4runner(v6 auto) with 37" MTRs and 4.88 gears and I haul everywhere! They do great, plenty of power and improved gas milage with my auto! I was scared about going 5.29s because they are a bit weaker but if you aren't going to beat on it that much go with 5.29s for a little more getup-and-go but you won't get as good gas milage though.

Sas' are way easy if you have good tools. I did mine in my little garage at 18 years old and it came out perfect for it being my first one! So don't be scared just go for it! Gotta love built 2nd gen runners! Powah!
Old 04-17-2011, 01:39 PM

Alright, so after a waiting to get pieces and parts and money to buy the kit from WabFab, the first part of the SAS for my P/U is done. The axle is complete! I'll try to remember to put a link to photobucket in here so you can see pictures of the whole process. However, for now, I took a couple short videos of the completed axle and the truck pre-sas. Here are the links:

Here's me talking about the completed front axle
http://youtu.be/fSDUhUxQwoY

And here's me discussing the truck, pre-sas.
http://youtu.be/FSAaGQh0UjY

More to come, hopefully real soon! I'll go play with photobucket now and see if I can get a link on here to the axle rebuild process pics.

Will eventually have lots of parts from the original IFS to get rid of. Let me know if you're interested in anything. I also have the original ring and pinion from the front axle that a replaced. I believe it is a 4.37.

Glad to be moving on this, and I welcome any suggestions or CONSTRUCTIVE criticism.

Many, many thanks to Brian from WabFab for the 3000 text messages he was nice enough to exchange with me over the last couple of months.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:45 PM

Photos

Here's the link to some of the pictures on photobucket. I have some more of the tear-down that I'll add shortly.

http://s915.photobucket.com/albums/a...ncraft96/Yota/
Old 04-18-2011, 05:37 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
It's looking good Clint

:wabbit2:
Old 04-21-2011, 10:31 PM

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
Good looking so far man, and nice videos!

I'd love to SAS my Runner some day, with similar plans you're going for. 488's, probably an air locker up front. But also being able to keep my truck as a daily driver and a wheeler every couple weekends. How much in all did you spend on the axle rebuild?
Old 04-22-2011, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by CodyX36
Good looking so far man, and nice videos!

I'd love to SAS my Runner some day, with similar plans you're going for. 488's, probably an air locker up front. But also being able to keep my truck as a daily driver and a wheeler every couple weekends. How much in all did you spend on the axle rebuild?
Hey Cody, hopefully my build will help to inspire you to go for it like some of the others on here inspired me.

Mine is not a daily driver. Not that you couldn't daily drive a sas'd truck, but I specifically waited to start this until I didn't have to. And yes, like I said in the video... I have no idea why I didnt go on and put a locked up front. I'm sure I'll end up adding one later.

Hard to say what I spent on just the axle. I bought the full SAS kit from WabFab which included all of the axle rebuild stuff as well as all of the leaf springs, shocks, spring hangers, shackles, etc for the conversion. Heres a couple of notes though:
- Bought the axle for $175.
- Yukon 4.88 $140
- New pinion and carrier bearings about $150
- Installation for the new gears $125

At that point I bought the kit and had everything else I needed.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:39 AM

did you use the original stock axle shafts up front or replace those?
Old 04-29-2011, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by LGcrawler
did you use the original stock axle shafts up front or replace those?
I went with the original birfs for now. After the SAS/regear/locker, this truck will be light years more advanced than anything I'm used to wheeling. Thus, I decided I'd hold off on the longfields for now.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:38 PM

Backspacing

Looking into a wheel and tire package for the truck post SAS. First of all, any suggestions for a reasonable deal?

Second, I'm thinking 33x12.50x15 or 35x12.50x15. I'm assuming for either,
10" width wheels would be the obvious choice. But... I've never really understood backspacing... Suggestions?
Old 04-29-2011, 06:08 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
An 8" wide wheel will be good for a 12.5" wide tire. Thats what most run. EDIT: And go 35's. 33's are going to look small on that truck once you SAS it.
A backspacing of around 3.5-4" should work. If you don't know what backspacing is, google it. :p

Old 04-29-2011, 06:30 PM

i run an 8 inch wheel on 33x12.5s with 3 3/4" backspacing, but thats not sas. hopefully soon though
Old 04-30-2011, 08:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scuba
An 8" wide wheel will be good for a 12.5" wide tire. Thats what most run. EDIT: And go 35's. 33's are going to look small on that truck once you SAS it.
A backspacing of around 3.5-4" should work. If you don't know what backspacing is, google it. :p

8" wide wheel will work but 10" wheel is a lot more stable on the frwy.
If you get tires from places that offer free balancing after you buy it, you can always get free balance after wheeling.

Last edited by anthony1; 04-30-2011 at 08:06 AM.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:08 PM

Got my tires today. Here's a preview of things to come:
http://s915.photobucket.com/albums/a...er_media_share

Sorry I didn't just post the pic directly, doing this from the phone

OK, so if the general consensus is that I can run these 35 12.50's on an 8" wide wheel, I'll do it. I'll confirm the backspacing on my current wheels, and just go with it.

So, waiting on the 4.88's for the rear end, then I'll send the rear stump off to have the gears and Detroit locker put in it. At that point I'll order the rear lift and I'll be ready to put her all together!
Old 05-23-2011, 05:10 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
You will be fine with an 8" wide wheel, poor man's beadlock.

:wabbit2:
Old 06-14-2011, 03:47 PM

Started a new thread for the build. Check it out here: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f152/93-p-u-sas-236735/