Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Family fun in Moab

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Family fun in Moab

Looks like I'll be headed out to Moab to spend thankgiving in the Canyonlands. It's gonna be mostly family time and sight seeing but I've have talked the wife and mother into some 4-low time. My current plans are to run Fins and Things (11/21), Elephant hill (11/22), and possibly White Rim (11/25). Any body gonna be in the area and want to come along?
Old 11-16-2006, 02:10 PM
Contributing Member

Don't I wish
Old 11-16-2006, 03:03 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We attempted to run White Rim before the TTORA Moab event. They say you can run it in one day, but I doubt it (it's 120 miles!). I'm sure all the campsites are booked. Be sure to check the Canyonlands website because a lot of trails are still closed from damage incurred by all the rain while we were there in October.

I thought Fins 'n Things was really fun. We also did Cliffhanger (nice trail, not super tough, some great views) and Moab Rim (tough trail, pucker factor level 11).

Are you going to be 'wheeling by yourself? How built is your rig/what level trails are you interested in?
Old 11-17-2006, 11:18 AM

I've run Fins and Elephant solo before, (you may notice my avatar was taken on Fins and the one below is on E0lephant), so no worries there. I've also done a few others but those were the two I wanted to get the family to see. I think Fins is a really good (and relatively safe) way to show someone what a vehicle can do on slickrock. Elephant gets you into parts of the park that few get to see up close. White rim was going to be the stretch. (Thanks for the timeframe info, I was move concerned with the fuel situation, ie; "do I need to carry extra?") Did you try it with a group or solo?. I move A LOT faster when I'm not stopping to watch everyone else do the same obstacle. (not saying that is bad just not nearly as time efficient.) If no one else joins in, yes, I will will run them with just my rig, but I'd love to have one or two others along for company and assistance if needed (me or them). We have reservations in Dead Horse and a nice cushy 5th wheel to return to so a FULL day of wheeling won't be too much of a problem. I've always heard it was LONG, but not all that challenging. I may reconsider the rim, we'll see....

Speaking of the 120miles, I worked with a guy who moutain biked the rim, twice! In one day! He was a beast when it came to distance rides, but I was still impressed.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:58 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The reason I was asking if you were going alone was to see if you could do some harder trails like Hell's Revenge or Gold Bar/Golden Spike.

You DEFINTELY need to carry extra fuel on White Rim. Not only is the trail long, it's a LONG way to a gas station getting off the trail. If the trail is still unpassable near the end (just past Hardscrabble camp) you could end up running it twice. There aren't any "obstacles" on White Rim that take up time, but you have to stop and enjoy the views! I guess you could burn through it quick, but what would be to point if you couldn't take it in?
Old 11-18-2006, 06:12 AM

Sorry, my response may have been a little defensive. I gonna have my wife and mother with me and they are not the most enthusiastic wheelers so I wanted to keep things relatively easy, read as, as few shelf roads and tippy spots as possible, but still want to show them what my truck can do. I think i've officially decided not to run the rim but will look for an alternative that day. We head out today so if anyone is interrested I'll be on 19 CB most of the time and will probably start each trail around 9am so show up and call for the cajun if'n you can make it. I'll post pics when I get back.