Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Death Valley 26-29 March

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 09:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This trip is really appealing to me. Given the advance notice, it's highly likely that I can get the time off of work now.

Scott, mind if I follow ya down? If I go, that is....

Also..does the Furnace Creek campground have shower facilities? The website doesn't mention it.

Last edited by User 051420; 02-06-2005 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:17 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gapguy
This trip is really appealing to me. Given the advance notice, it's highly likely that I can get the time off of work now.

Scott, mind if I follow ya down? If I go, that is....

Also..does the Furnace Creek campground have shower facilities? The website doesn't mention it.
Nope, don't mind at all.

Furnace creek campground does NOT have showers, but the Furnace Creek ranch (the motel one) 100 yds down the road has showers attached to the pool complex, which is what I've always used.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This weekend was the time I was supposed to go with my club, but I got sick. My friend and I might be up for this trip...
Old 02-20-2005, 11:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
guys,

pretty sure im gonna go. gotta book a room. im flying solo. unfortunatley the wife can't make it.

bob
Old 02-20-2005, 11:30 PM

scottiac and/or bulldog:

unless i missed it, bulldog is the only one staying at the FC Ranch. scottiac, where are you staying? and anyone else, where are you guys staying?

i'm trying to decide where i'm going to stay or camp. tent camping doesnt sound too appealing to me b/f of the closeness to RVs (i hate them when car camping), but if everyone is going to do it, might as well.

bob
Old 02-20-2005, 11:33 PM
Contributing Member

i know we're getting close to this event and am really trying to make it w/ my 4runner. that said, whats the plan on camping? (roughin it or hotel style?)

gotta figure out my logistics so let me know
Old 02-21-2005, 08:42 AM
Contributing Member

Camping. You guys want to camp out on the trail somewhere (where it's legal)? Not sure where though.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Robinhood150
Camping. You guys want to camp out on the trail somewhere (where it's legal)? Not sure where though.

This may be of some help...the backcountry camping webpage from death-valley.us ...
http://death-valley.us/bccamping.html
Old 02-21-2005, 08:50 AM
Contributing Member

Primitive camping or modern camping?

And I mean primitive as in just pitch a tent in the middle of no where and then bust out the shovel to dig a hole to poop in and modern means a campsite w/ facilities (atleast a portal poopie).
Old 02-21-2005, 08:57 AM
Contributing Member

Primative. People might have to go to the bathroom in the middle of the desert anyway, there aren't very many modern amenities out there.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:07 AM

Here's a thread of photos I found from a bunch of Cruiser guys exploring DV. Looks beautiful!

http://www.echo29.com/deathvalley80s/pages/255_5522.htm
Old 02-21-2005, 10:01 AM
Contributing Member

re: lodging.

Currently, Bulldog is staying at stovepipe wells, and I believe that is non-negotiable.

I am staying at the furnace creek campground. Roughing it sounds fabulous to me, but 1) the fiance wouldn't probably be all that keen, and 2) I'm all paid up at FC.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:57 AM

well as much as i hate being surrounded by RVs, in order to keep the group together, i'm leaning twds camping where scottiac will be. steve, what are your thoughts?

scott: can we build a campfire there or are fires not allowed?

bob
Old 02-21-2005, 12:03 PM
Contributing Member

ask for the tents only section at FC campground. It helps a little...

yes, there are fire pits; firewood available at the store a couple hundred yards away.
Old 02-21-2005, 02:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
well as much as i hate being surrounded by RVs, in order to keep the group together, i'm leaning twds camping where scottiac will be. steve, what are your thoughts?
That's fine. It'll probably be me and Geoff, Miki probably can't make it. Plus, my friend Brian and Lisa from SLO, they're the ones with the Bronco at pismo, except he just picked up an 85 toyota truck.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:08 PM

scott,

thanks for the info re "tents only" section

steve, just to confirm, you are gonna camp at the tent campground? if so, ill make my reservation tomorrow.

bob
Old 02-21-2005, 03:23 PM
Contributing Member

I'm going to wing it until the date gets closer. Still not sure if I'm going or not.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:08 PM
Contributing Member

Pictures from my club's trip:

Click

Lot's of snow.
Old 02-22-2005, 12:44 PM

The universe is conspiring to ruin my fun...and teasing me with great play shots

Originally Posted by Robinhood150
Pictures from my club's trip:

Click

Lot's of snow.
Ooooh great pictures Robinhood...

I am so ready to go to DV but murphy's law is screwin with me at the moment: I'm worried about my "diaper bottom" (aka yota "saggy ass" rear end) I bottomed out once this weekend in the dunes, thank the bejezus it was only sand and not a rock. This is NOT a good thing.

I've heard the rear springs fix all theory and have a feeling this can't wait till post DV... Is there a thread about fixing this sag? (insert "shut up lazy ass and look for yourself" as needed)

Complicating factors:
*lack of work space (landlord just decided he wants out of rentals and is selling our house so no new garage projects allowed while the house is on the market -- apparently potenial owners don't like looking at piles of parts and tools )
*lack of time (being sent to SF AGAIN for the weekend by work -- how am i supposed to get ANYTHING DONE with all this work getting in the way) considering tossing in the towel on this trip altogether

can i throw a temper tantrum yet? Sorry to share. But i'm pissed, ranting and venting... guess there's always a next time, but next time is for sliver medalists and second place, ya know.

In the event the fates work my way (its time to ask for a miracle): Is there a caravan leaving from the central valley/bay area on Friday? (Scott yer in Sacto right? this thread's gotten so long I forgot if you said you were leaving Thursday or what...)
I'd like to follow/drive down with someone whose already going (sorry no in car space with boyfriend and dog/gear) can meet you in the bay area or...
Old 02-22-2005, 01:06 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MyYotaDog
In the event the fates work my way (its time to ask for a miracle): Is there a caravan leaving from the central valley/bay area on Friday? (Scott yer in Sacto right? this thread's gotten so long I forgot if you said you were leaving Thursday or what...)
I'd like to follow/drive down with someone whose already going (sorry no in car space with boyfriend and dog/gear) can meet you in the bay area or...
I'll be going from Sacto, Neil (gapguy) will be coming from this area, so yep, there are bodies going in this area. I'm headed south friday, not sure about the others.

A few of the others are going to be headed from the bay area (robinhood, if he makes it)

Quick Reply: Death Valley 26-29 March