Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

CO4RJ06 thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 09:00 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CO4RJ06 thread

Here it is all, after talking to a few people some one had to take charge of this, so Mark and myself are going to get this rolling.
The dates are:
Sept. 01-04 (labor day weekend) most people will either already be off work, or out of school. mark your calanders.
The place:
Glenwood Springs, we feel that most people want to go the senic route.
The Trails:
Fri.- Transfer Trail weather permiting Taylor Pass as a back up run
Sat.- Pearl Pass
Sun.- Schofield Pass
Mon.- Lead King Pass

We feel that "stock" vehicles will be fine, with a little spotting in places.
we wont split up into groups unless, we have more than about 20 vehicles.
We are looking into pricing for camping and hotels, so there will both options.
More will be posted later.
If anyone wants to help with this, please speak up.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:22 PM

Ill be happy to help out. The dates will be hard for me, and I'm not sure if Ill have Labor Day off from school. They skipped a few of those one day holidays last semester.

There is also lots of other activities to do there, like the hot springs, which I will be looking forward to.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:50 PM
Contributing Member

Hey Ric, Mark, et-al, as I 'splained to Ric we are booked solid for most of the summer so don't count us in (just yet) Just wanted to toss this out there for ya'll to consider: Schofield never melted out last year because of a massive avalanche that brought down most of the mountainside with it. The slide zone was only crossed by an intrepid few. With all the snow they got down there this year it's doubtful that it will melt out this year. If it does I don't think it will in time for the county to get up there, do maintenance, rebuild/repair the bridge, remove avy debris and get it open to traffic this year. Keep your options open. If'n they do get it open Schofield and Lead King both can be run in a day easy if you start in Carbondale.

Taylor and Pearl make a great 1 day loop if you start in Aspen. The time of year you are planning is the best bet for Pearl to be melted out. Of course Pearl melted out in late July or early Aug (and Schofield never did, go figgur ) I got my 1st chance to run it last year and had a great time.

Have fun be safe and don't forget to pack your rubbers (git your mind out of the gutter!! I mean you overshoes, there probably still be snow on the trail)

*edit* make sure someone brings a laptop and keep us updated with LIVE reports, I understand that G-wood just became 1 giant wi-fi hot spot ! ! word has it that the entire town is covered.

See ya on the trail, B.

Last edited by Jake94; 04-19-2006 at 11:37 PM.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:23 AM
Ric
Banned - User requested

Dekri,
I hope you can make it, Im hoping that you wont have school that weekend. We would glad to have your help, I know right now that some one needs to step up and design some T-shirts, and stickers, maybe hats IF theres enough interest. any other thoughts or ideas are very welcome.

Jake94,
Thankx very much for the heads up and the thoughts. I really hope the both of you can make it, (your great people)
We will be doing pre-runs to find out whats good for all vehicals and whats open.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:33 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Good Luck!
Old 04-20-2006, 07:28 AM

Thanks Ric and Mark for putting this together.

I also have a friend that I hope will bring his 06 taco out on the trail....
Old 04-20-2006, 08:02 AM
Contributing Member

I would be happy to design and produce decals for you guys if you want. I'm currently making the SE4RJ decals so if anyone has any ideas just let me know! Were you thinking text only or a graphic? Ive got a couple vector files that Ive made over the years of toyota stuff that I have yet to use. Let me know if you want me to post the stuff here or start another thread and I'd be happy to help! There is also a chance that I might try and come out for this one. I am going to be making an off-road documentary that is geared towards yotatech and it would be great to get some footage from CO!

If you want to see more info on the project I have a sticky in the Off Topic section: Click Here

Last edited by turboale; 04-20-2006 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:20 AM
Ric
Banned - User requested

Mayhem,
tell your friend that its TOYOTA law that he makes its

turboale,
that would be awesome, thank you, if you could please post up some ideas that would be awesome.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:48 AM

Never been here - but this looks like a similar type campground as when we stayed in Buena Vista - it has a group tent site aswell. http://elkcreekcamping.com/index.html

Memorial Day and Labor Day are notoriously busy weekends at any campground - so the quicker you can find / reserve a place the better.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:55 AM
Contributing Member

Well,
These were ideas for SE4RJ but they never got used so they are still original. I will obviously change the text, and each part of the text is optional but here is what I have already put together. Because the text will be quite close this should give you a good idea of what it will look like. If you like something I'll change the text for you to make sure.

Old 04-20-2006, 01:39 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

Im kind of diggin the first pic,
Old 04-20-2006, 05:13 PM
Contributing Member

yeah first pic but make it a first gen instead!!
b
Old 04-22-2006, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by turboale
Well,
These were ideas for SE4RJ but they never got used so they are still original. I will obviously change the text, and each part of the text is optional but here is what I have already put together. Because the text will be quite close this should give you a good idea of what it will look like. If you like something I'll change the text for you to make sure.

Needs some work, I don't know why you have definition in the axle that doesn't exsist anywhere else in the illustration. I also don't mind the font but the fact that you made it look like papyrus is a bad idea, and the fact that you are using very clean lines with a distressed font doesn't work very well. Don't get me wrond I like the overall layout but try taking the truck and type, turning it into an actual stencil. spraypainting it ans scanning it in.... that would be SICK

Sorry, I'm an art director and designer... just my .2
Mayhem Media
Old 04-25-2006, 09:28 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Mayhem
Needs some work, I don't know why you have definition in the axle that doesn't exsist anywhere else in the illustration. I also don't mind the font but the fact that you made it look like papyrus is a bad idea, and the fact that you are using very clean lines with a distressed font doesn't work very well. Don't get me wrond I like the overall layout but try taking the truck and type, turning it into an actual stencil. spraypainting it ans scanning it in.... that would be SICK

No need to apologize, I know constructive criticism when I see it.
I will work on choosing a better font when I change the text for CO4RJ. I put that much detail into the axle because I basically did a SaS on my old 4Runner. I traced it with IFS (seeing as I never did an actual SaS) and because I wanted to put the rear tire on a much higher plane, I had to do something and ended up putting a solid axle under it digitally. I traced the axle separately then pasted it into this project so I wasn't looking at the entire image when tracing the axle itself. I'll take some of the detail out and see if it matches a bit better. The idea about using an actual stencil is cool, but then I would be using a bitmap image and not a vector file and prices for printing goes up quite a bit when you do that. Then you also run into the problem of the lines on the 4R being clean and the lines of the text would not be. I could try and figure out a way to digitally add in the extra over spray etc of a real stencil.... I'll do another version and see what you think.

Last edited by turboale; 04-25-2006 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:21 AM

I'd have to agree with Brandi,1st gen all the way!Yes Inga and I will be there again,but this time she has her own rig.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by turboale
No need to apologize, I know constructive criticism when I see it.
I will work on choosing a better font when I change the text for CO4RJ. I put that much detail into the axle because I basically did a SaS on my old 4Runner. I traced it with IFS (seeing as I never did an actual SaS) and because I wanted to put the rear tire on a much higher plane, I had to do something and ended up putting a solid axle under it digitally. I traced the axle separately then pasted it into this project so I wasn't looking at the entire image when tracing the axle itself. I'll take some of the detail out and see if it matches a bit better. The idea about using an actual stencil is cool, but then I would be using a bitmap image and not a vector file and prices for printing goes up quite a bit when you do that. Then you also run into the problem of the lines on the 4R being clean and the lines of the text would not be. I could try and figure out a way to digitally add in the extra over spray etc of a real stencil.... I'll do another version and see what you think.
Do you have CS2? you can import a hires tiff into illustrator and then live trace it and it is then vector...
Old 05-01-2006, 05:27 AM

Subscription to thread...
Old 05-01-2006, 12:38 PM
Contributing Member

oops,
I thought I posted the new versions I made the other day. Here are two versions to consider...

Stencil Look

Modern Look

Last edited by turboale; 05-01-2006 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:05 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

not bad at all, Id be happy with that except for Glenwood is spelled wrong, no biggie.
hope others will chime in with there thoughts.
EDIT: hears a thought, keep it with IFS since most people will be IFS anyways I honestly dont care either way.

Last edited by Ric; 05-01-2006 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:19 PM

*subscribes* very nice work turbolae, personally i like the stencil look instead of the modern. are these graphics for t-shirts? or bumperstickers? just for fun lol? anyway i will most likely be in attendance to this jam and it sounds like a lot of fun. it will be my first.

Quick Reply: CO4RJ06 thread