Notices
Buying & Selling Advice - Feeler/Gauging Interest This general forum is for those seeking information about buying, model features/differences, pricing to sell, and related advice

Considering a new truck - 1978 hilux

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 07:07 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Considering a new truck - 1978 hilux

What do you guys think about this truck? http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/5116671983.html
Been talking with the guy and I'm going to look tomorrow morning. Says it was sitting before he bought it, only had it 5mo and selling for money to help his sick mom. He's a student at local college.
Says it runs good and doesn't have any major issues. Needs alt, rad flush, fuel sender, AC recharge and a dash pad. The rest looks decent in pics, gotta see it myself. Says it smogged so that rids some worry. Also said they think it's 38k not 138k - we'll see.
It's gonna replace my 2001 Corolla s. Been wanting to sell it even though it's still a runner but becoming a beater. They just don't age the same as my 93 pickup or our 2002 100-series. Guy might even be open to a straight trade for the Corolla. I'd be lucky to get 2500 for it.
What say you YT?
Old 07-17-2015, 07:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow if that is actual miles, there's a lot's of miles left.

Alternator just needs brushes.

Like the yellow and black look. Black bumpers would really make it pop.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:08 PM

I'm diggin the pizza planet look from Pixar, with the shell on it!

I question the mileage - my gut says its rolled over at least once, but it's always possible to only have 38k if it indeed sat. Says he drives it around a bit, around the same distance I would be too - 50-60 mi highway round trip.

He said a new alt is only like 50 at autozone. Definitely would need to fix the fuel sender if it's not reading the level. I think I can handle the other things he told me so far, we'll see what else it shows is wrong tomorrow.

I've always heard these older models are even more rock solid than the 1st gen-3rd gen. I just don't know carbed vehicles or the 20r. But dang I have a soft spot for the older quad headlight hilux. And the patina looks great without any rust or body damage!
Old 07-18-2015, 01:40 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

It will be interesting for sure.

Worth a up close and personal look

Thing is there could also be problems he is just unaware of!!

Put it through the paces and see how it does.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:43 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Send me info and pics on your 01 corolla...my daughter's camry just took a dump

Hard to believe someone would consider trading an 01 for a 78..but cool if it works.
5 digit odometer, thinking at least 138xxx

Hope you are short
No leg room

Last edited by dropzone; 07-18-2015 at 05:47 AM.
Old 07-18-2015, 08:01 AM

Yeah we'll see what gets revealed when I go look later. Almost 40yrs, who knows. I did look up the smog history and it looks like it's been passing for the last decade so that's good. About to run out in a few days, so I guess it'll have to be smogged again, we'll see.

Yeah I know I'm crazy for wanting to go backwards, but corollas are a dime a dozen and you just don't see the classics anymore. I said I'd never sell my 93 but now I'm almost thinking the same about that truck too. What's happened to me?!

Even at 138k that's still low. I'm 5'10". I've never sat in an old hilux but I used to drive an old Datsun 720 which is about the same cab size. ive sat in one of my grad students 82 hilux 2wd recently and have been sitting in my inlaws single cab tacomas a lot, making sure I'm ok with going back to being cramped. Loved that old bare bones Datsun truck, kinda bummed I sold it - but then I wouldn't have been on YT after I got my 93 that replaced it.
Old 07-18-2015, 08:11 AM

The Corolla I've been thinking of selling for like 2yrs. I still drive it regularly but it definitely has not aged as well as my other toyotas and I figure sell it while it's still running and before it dies on me, not like I think it's going to anytime soon. my 93 pickup looks good still and our 02 cruiser looks really good too. I guess that's just how a $15k car ages.

Clear coat came off the hood, it had a bras on it for years in ca sun and now is a different faded white if I take it off, drivers side power windows sometimes don't like to come up, warped front rotor thanks to cheap tire shop over torque, typical oil consumption, engine feeling "tired". Was really worried last time I had to smog it - the time before it was just so-so readings, time before that it needed a new CAT to pass. The latest they don't even do the sniff test with the new laws, so it's good to go now! Despite all that I still rock it 250mi a week averaging 37mpg highway with AC on. Based on what I see on CL I'd be lucky to get 2500
Old 07-18-2015, 02:48 PM

So looked at it his morning. I dunno yet - still a nice truck but needs work to DD.

he didn't reveal that the battery was dead and that it wouldn't start for the showing. Tried jumping but it needs a full charge and I didn't have time. It's a newer battery so I told him to get it charged up and call me when he can show it running. I think I saw a bad ground wire with only partial contact - one section of a "Y" from the negative cable down under battery tray - probably the starter ground?

Anyways, it looks like 130k to me. Was a farm truck originally that was never even registered. Then some guy bought it and wanted to give it to his son, who didn't want an old truck - the kid bought it from him. He's young college kid who needs a reliable ride and bit off more than he can chew with no job and apartment living space.

Body looks good, no rust only slight surface rust. Not really any dents but a tree branch must have landed in top of the cab at some point - a few dents. Interior looks acceptable. Someone added a hole to the plastic on the dash, took out stereo and the dash pad. Everything supposedly works. It's not an AC truck either. Needs all new rubber. Has good glass. Typical stuff for 40ur old truck. Wide mustang tires taking toll on worn steering parts.

Guy actually just texted me saying he got battery charged and it's running. Still on the fence. Price is kinda high, but it comes with a shell and 2nd set tires. It's a longbed with no AC. ideally want short ex with AC. Maybe it'll still be here after I get back from vacation in 10days