Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Theft Prevention

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2002, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Theft Prevention

Is there any other way of preventing your car getting stolen or broken into other than an alarm and the club? What's the best alarm system out there, that provides good protection? thanks, hope you guys can help! Oh, one more thing does anybody know how much the hilux surf emblems from the 2nd gen hilux surf?

Old 06-04-2002, 07:06 PM
Banned

I think the Club is a waste of money. A quick hacksaw to the wheel or even a simple bottle jack can defeat them. A good and cheap way to prevent somone from driving your rig to a chop shop is a hidden fuel pump or ignition cutoff switch. No Gas or no spark = no driving away.

Oh, one more thing does anybody know how much the hilux surf emblems from the 2nd gen hilux surf?
I don't know how much the emblems surf, but if they live by the beach its probably a lot. If not they probably hike more.

Old 06-04-2002, 07:42 PM
Contributing Member

Jspec, I have found that my German Shephard sitting in the front seat is a pretty good deterent!!!

Seriously though, I think an alarm or club is the only way to go. I do have a item that projects a laser onto any interior surface that reads "SECURITY" but that is about all. Wish I could have helped more

Mike
Old 06-04-2002, 11:47 PM

Hey J-Spec 4Runner, email J-Spec 185...he has the in's for JDM stuff.
butnut
Old 06-05-2002, 01:36 AM
DuB

My friend uses his club between the e-brake and the shifter in his Camry. It locks the shifter in park and you can't move it. I haven't tried it on our trucks, so I don't know if it'd work for us. Is there any obvious way to defeat this? I guess you could saw off the e-brake handle.

I think JasonB was selling the 3rd gen emblems for $65 so the 2nd gen ones might be around there, but I'm just guessing.
Old 06-05-2002, 04:01 AM

I have heard of the club failing, so I would say a good alarm would do. I know some of them come with a pager telling you the alarm is going off, which area is being broken into and whatnot. Personally, if someone's alarm goes off, I look but don't go running. There are too many cars out there w/ them and it is just annoying anymore. If you have one w/ a pager, at least you'll know it's going off and it's time to load the gun :beaver:

-Ryan
Old 06-07-2002, 01:06 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Search feature works

I was looking for this thread that was started up awhile back, but could not find it.
So I tried the search feature out on the main index page and plugged in the word "alarm."

About 3 seconds later, bam!
I like how it searches all of the forums here at once.

Anyway, I just went to Goggle and plugged in ignition cut out switch and got a ton of hits.

Even though I have a great alarm, and it kills the starter, it never pays to have enough theft deterrents.
I think I am going to read up on some of those articles and maybe try this mod out.
Seems pretty easy, splice into a coil wire and have a hidden switch somewhere in the cockpit.
Old 06-07-2002, 06:12 PM

Re: Search feature works

Originally posted by Corey
Even though I have a great alarm, and it kills the starter, it never pays to have enough theft deterrents.
This is for sure. There is alot of $$$ in the rigs and we should all do our best to stop theft in/on them. Any money you spend is a good investment to protect our vehicles! :beaver:

-Ryan
Old 06-08-2002, 01:28 AM

Re: Theft Prevention

Originally posted by J-Spec 4Runner
Is there any other way of preventing your car getting stolen or broken into other than an alarm and the club?
Hello J-Spec,

Forget the club, it's a joke.

Go out and get a professionally installed alarm with ignition kill switch. I had one in my 89 and just put one in my new 95 4Runner. Never once did I have anyone mess with it. Some had a look at it (I can tell) but never tried. They just moved on the an easier rig.

I bought myself a Clifford Alarm System Model: AvantGuard 3. Comes with a 4 button remote and a backup horm so even if you cut the battery the horn keeps going for over two hours. I also added 4 door activators so I could have power doors. Each time I arm the rig the doors lock. When I disarm the rig the doors open up. No more screwing around with a key in the dark.

Button one is to arm and disarm with chirps.
Button two is to do the same however silent.
Button three is to pull down the rear tailgate window.
Button four is to pull up the rear tailgate window.

There is also a button on the side to remote start the rig. Great on those cold nights. I bought it slightly used however in great shape for $600 Canadian installed. (Door activators were $50/door and is included in the price).

Here is the new one: http://www.clifford.com/products/cp_ag4.htm

Hope that helps. Time for me to step out for a smoke.

Chris