Notices
Buying & Selling Advice - Feeler/Gauging Interest This general forum is for those seeking information about buying, model features/differences, pricing to sell, and related advice

buying a 86 4runner with 236k miles

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
buying a 86 4runner with 236k miles

I am thinking about getting a 86 4runner with 236k miles on it. Its a 4cyl 5 speed with new crank, bearings and timing chain kit. He is asking $3300. Is this a fair price and what should I look for when I go to check it out.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:43 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Welcome aboard. This sounds OK in price. Post some pics please and we can decide further, Thanks.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:58 PM

This should probably be moved to that other sub-section of the forum i can't remember the name of. Mods?

But regardless, it really depends on the overall condition of the truck. How is the frame/undercarriage? Clean, surface rust, rotting? Ask for lots of pictures of that, as well as the inside of the truck too before you go to check it out if it's far away.

Look at the interior. This isn't always the case (particularly if a truck has had multiple owners) but how well it is or isn't cared for on the inside can be indicative of the general level of car the PO took with the vehicle maintenance and repair wise. I know this because I was the not-so-proud owner of a '98 Ford Ranger for several years. The interior was always filthy, I abused it, dirtied the carpets beyond repair, and never took it to be washed or vacuumed. I was totally not on top of my mechanical maintenance AT ALL. Constantly a thousand miles or more over on oil changes, never fixing anything until it failed catastrophically, etc....

Now I own an '87 Runner which I purchased with the forum's guidance and I take ii to the DIY wash and vacuum it every pay day, dispose of garbage daily, use protective floor mats, and plan to shampoo the carpets every couple of months, and spray off the undercarriage weekly in the winter to prevent rust build up on these Northeastern roads.

I say all that to say it is important to check out things that let you know the car has been well cared for during its life.

I asked pretty much the same questions of the forum before buying mine and got some helpful answers:

"ask to see if the timing chain guides and headgasket has been done, check the radioator to make sure there isnt a milky substensence, also pull the oil cap while its running to make sure it isnt milky white, make sure it doesnt smoke, check all the tie rods, and all that, drive it, test the brakes,get underneath it while its running and make sure theres no leaks of any kind, brakes fluid, oil, anitfreeze, etc etc"

I spent a LOT of time underneath the thing when I went to look at it. I didn't even really know what I was looking at half the time, but alot of it is just common sense. Are things broken, jerry-rigged, covered in leaking fluids, rusting through.

Then I just had dude run it for like 20 minutes straight while I listened and watched for pooling on the ground, smoke, strange sounds etc....

So just be thorough and trust your gut.

As for the money??? Sounds a little high to me, but it's hard to say without looking at it. Price seem to vary A LOT by region, so what is a rip-off to one man is another man's steal. I paid high 3K's for mine; an 87 sr5 with 123,000, new cam shaft from ENGNBLDR, new cylinder head/head gasket, timing chain, and idler arm all within the last few thousand miles. It also had a 2" OME lift kit with leaf springs, and 31" Grabbers on it with nearly all of their tread still on. Minimal surface rust underneath, solid frame, some body rust above the rear wheels, a few minor fluid leaks (rear pinion seal, some random small oil leaks somewhere in the block, pin hole in radiator)

It's been a couple months and I have put like 4000 miles on it with no problems save for some minor erratic idle issues.

You got any pictures or links to a listing?
Old 06-14-2012, 01:29 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Big difference between Sunny California and the great Rust Belt!!!

I could make a good living selling first Gen 4Runners for that much money.

Just where you are could make a big difference in the price. Big City Farm Country or in the woods.

Now my Toyota`s are all pretty much used for work so I have to disagree about what the interior looks like . I get suspicious if every thing is all cleaned and shampooed .
Old 06-14-2012, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Big difference between Sunny California and the great Rust Belt!!!

I could make a good living selling first Gen 4Runners for that much money.

Just where you are could make a big difference in the price. Big City Farm Country or in the woods.

Now my Toyota`s are all pretty much used for work so I have to disagree about what the interior looks like . I get suspicious if every thing is all cleaned and shampooed .
I know right? It's like you guys get the better vehicles, and they cost less! I feel like mine will still be money well spent in the long run if I take care of it since I hope to get 250k out of the engine (knock-on-wood) which is double what it has now. Considering I spent 3k on a ranger that needed a full ˟˟˟˟ing engine rebuild 3 months in, and was plagued with every issue known to man after that, I'm happy just to have something that runs and isn't falling apart for my coin!

As for the interior, I feel where you are coming from with that. If my pops (a work truck man) ever heard me say that he'd have a good laugh. His Chevy used to be swimming in gear and garbage :-) Maybe my statement is more a reflection of my general love for the Runner vs the POS ranger than anything else :-) I just meant be thoro when ya look it over outside and in, check under carpet in bed for rust on floor, for problems with dash, doors/lift gate/window etc...That's all...
Old 06-14-2012, 04:07 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Depending on conditon and how well it was taken care of will determine if the cost is high or not. People dont understand what it can cost on the great deal with a few issues and if they have to have it done that really drives cost up. Paint, engine or tranny can hit a $1000 easy having it done. If it is great condition, I would say yes.

Y.Satchel... I feel your pain. I bought a 98 Ranger new and took care of it and it was still JUNK. You brought back some bad memories, but that is why I switched to Toyotas and so it turned into a good thing.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:36 AM

Thanks everyone. Im going today to look at so if I get it Ill be sure to post alot of pics so you guys can tell me how much trouble I got myself into. Right now it has 35's on 15X10. I am going to drop down to either 31x10.5 or 32x11.5 to help with mpg. Is there anything I need to pay attention to when changing tire size?
Old 06-14-2012, 05:43 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by bonardij07
Thanks everyone. Im going today to look at so if I get it Ill be sure to post alot of pics so you guys can tell me how much trouble I got myself into. Right now it has 35's on 15X10. I am going to drop down to either 31x10.5 or 32x11.5 to help with mpg. Is there anything I need to pay attention to when changing tire size?
check the gearing..if they did it right they went to 5.29 gears with the 35's.. if so and you drop down to 31's your rpms are gonna be through the roof...stock 4.10s are great with 31's..