General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No running lights or console lights..????

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No running lights or console lights..????

My running lights and lights in the dash are gone. Doh! Brake lights work. Headlights and high beams are fine. Driving home yesterday evening the dash lights (and running lights) came on for about a minute, flickered for a bit then goen again. Any ideas where to start looking? Hoping the relation between the dash lights and rear running lights going on/off at the same time might give some hints?
Old 01-30-2012, 01:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
check fuse, and dimmer switch. other then that need more info... truck? yr? and what have u looked at so far?
Old 01-30-2012, 05:49 PM

Thanks. Haven't looked at much. dimmer was always questionable so I'll start with that and the fuses, which I did take a quick look at but maybe i'll replace them anyway.
Its a 92 4x4 pickup.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the switch itself for the running lights on your steering column could be bad. i.e. worn out/ dirty to where a good/ none at all connection is being made. i say this because the running lights and the dash lights come on with that switch. but the headlights are another click themselves. not sure how you would go about checking or testing your column switch maybe someone else knows more about that. just offering a suggestion that came to mind
Old 02-01-2012, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by sebastianholmes
the switch itself for the running lights on your steering column could be bad. i.e. worn out/ dirty to where a good/ none at all connection is being made. i say this because the running lights and the dash lights come on with that switch. but the headlights are another click themselves. not sure how you would go about checking or testing your column switch maybe someone else knows more about that. just offering a suggestion that came to mind
Ya, was thinking the headlight switch itself could be bad. Anyone have tips on how to check that out? I'm still having no luck, put in new fuses and nothing....
Old 02-02-2012, 07:34 AM

Hmmm... what I would do is grab a test light and see if the fuse for the running lights is even getting power when the lights are on. If you've got power at the fuse on both sides with the switch on, then the problem is not the switch, but after the fuse wherever it gets split off into. I doubt this is the problem.

Has there ever been an aftermarket alarm or fog lights/driving lights installed in the truck, ever? I ask this since I do that kind of stuff for a living and have seen hack jobs that tear up factory wiring leaving me with all kinds of booby trapped wires that I have to fix before I even get to do anything else. If this is the case, a T-tap or scotch-lok may have been used on the wire coming from the light switch in the column. I never use those connections myself since they split the wire leaving just a few strands remaining as a mechanical connection. Over time, with older vehicles, the wire will flex and eventually break. Pull apart the under-dash on the driver's side and take a look. I'm betting there was something installed that damaged the parking light/running light wire.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:12 PM

I'm having the same exact problem as gwat on my 87 pickup.
Last night my running lights and dash/speedo lights all stopped working, but headlights / high beams are fine.
Can someone tell me exactly which fuse I should check? I checked all of my fuses and they seem fine....
I also removed the dash to see the dimmer, and that seems to be fine too.
As for the headlight switch itself, I think it's also fine but I'm not sure. Thanks!
Old 02-05-2012, 01:02 PM

Trailer pig-tail or possible lost ground, that is after you check fuse block. Any after-market radio hijinx? (sp?)
Old 02-07-2012, 07:44 PM

The fact that they flickered suggests a loose wire/poor ground...no direct relation between dimmer switch and running lights, though...check that the appropriate fuses in the fusebox are getting power when the lights are on...
Old 02-11-2012, 02:40 PM

OK, haven't ripped the dash out yet. Stupid question though.....anyone have a photo of the fuse panel cover??? Lost my cover which has the diagram/legend for the fuses. Not sure which fuse exactly is for the lights (although I did pull all the fuses and they all look fine). Would like to check the power to the fuse now.
Also, where would the ground for this circuit be?
Sorry for all the dumb questions, mechanics comes somewhat naturally to me but electrics is a bit of a mystery.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:45 AM

dumb, I know, but anyone know where I can find a legend for the fuse box???? (drivers kick panel)
Old 02-15-2012, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Here is a pic of the fuse cover. It is off of my 88. On my 88 build, I have a link on the grounds for the engine bay (pg 1 for location). Dont know if that would help for the ground issue. I am fairly sure there is a bolt or that is used for the ground by the fuse block.

Name:  Fusepanelnormal.jpg
Views: 4179
Size:  69.8 KB
Old 05-01-2012, 10:16 AM

I had the exact same problem. Check the 15 amp tail fuse. It controls your taillights dash lights, corner lights, etc. Mine kept blowing that fuse. Somedays, I'd get lucky and they'd work for a while and pop the fuse again. I finally got around to checking it out and someone had done a ˟˟˟˟ty radio install (or two) and my radio harness was all outta whack. There was two different aftermarket radio wiring harnesses in there and a bunch of custom ˟˟˟˟. It turned out that one of the illumination wires back there had been stripped at the end and was touching the metal bracket behind the dash. Capped that and cut out all of the unneeded wires and extra harness and bam, no more problem and nice clean wiring. I had checked out all kinds of stuff before and did that and nothing worked.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:19 AM

Also, try replacing the tailight relay right above the fuse box in the kick panel. It's a round looking silver relay and I think the numbers on are 90987-01002 or 90987-01003. The first time I replaced that, it was fine for a week or two, then it happened again. It would blow the fuse and the relay would go bad after it did that for a while.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:06 AM

i have a 95 4runner similar to the 92 pickup i have a problem with my headlight switch too its seems like the headlight switch isnt making good contact, ill turn the headlights on but theyll go off after i apply a good amount of force to the switch so i bought a used combo switch put it on and it worked for a day ir so then it stopped working so i went and bought a brand new headlight switch and i wired the new switch into my old assembly well now this switch is broken and im going crazy that i have to take my kick panel and column panels off again and possibly pull my wheel off for the 5th time the best way to test the swithc is to take the thing apart.