Alarm Systems Discussion related to installation, diagnostics, and purchasing of alarm systems

DEI Alarm Installed Okay

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DEI Alarm Installed Okay

I installed the DEI Viper 791xv alarm. So far so good.

I initially got some good comments off this forum, so thought I'd post.

Car security usually has 3 parts: Remote Start, Alarm Security, and Keyless Entry.

Remote Start: as a DIY install I avoided this for now.
Alarm: I did not 'hide' any wires yet with masking tape and I initially left it all a little exposed until the alarm all checks out okay. i'll tape and hide later.

Keyless Entry: I left the factory keyless entry door lock system. I prefer 2 different remotes for added layer of security, 1. factory doorlock 2. dei security.

Any comments how you 'optimized' your own alarm install??
eg Hood Pin switch location on a 4runner etc.
eg Siren location on a 4runner etc.
eg Antenna placement
eg shock sensor placement

- 4runner 2000
Old 05-12-2006, 11:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
the trickiest one for me was the shock sensor placement. even with it turned down to the lowest setting, it would go off. why? because i loosely zip tied it to a bundle of wires, so ever vibration from a passing car or truck would set it off. thus, i fastened it tightly to the bundle. no problem since then and now i have the sensitivity a little below the center hash mark.

bob
Old 05-13-2006, 10:33 AM

I need to hook up the IGnition wire to the alarm module. Although the alarm works, disarming without the remote requires a turn of the IGnition key.

Well right now, if the remote breaks, the alarm will not shut off manually. I would have to break the siren. Attaching IGition wire should fix this.

What sucks though is landlords do not like fixing automobiles at an apartment complex. Liability and all, so you don't get run over by another tenant. LOL
Makes sense. Just sneak around nosey landlord.
Old 05-13-2006, 05:58 PM
Contributing Member

you gonna install a window module in it to roll the windows up and down? i have the same alarm and want to do this to maybe the front windows as well as the roof and rear sice the stock remote will not roll it back up

circuit city installed mine for 150, i cant really mess with the electrical stuff!
Old 05-13-2006, 07:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If memory serves, Toyota's have two ignition wires. One is usable, one isn't. Can't remember more than that...
Old 05-13-2006, 07:49 PM
Contributing Member

eg Antenna placement

Hood pin usually works out good up @ the fire wall, just mount and tweak until you get the proper fit.

Siren someplace someone cant get to it easily and disable, try to hide it while still protecting it from elemenat, engine ,ect

Antenna route it up the pillar and tuck it under the head liner and place it behind the rear view mirror right below the top of the glass

I have always put my shock sensor on the steering column. zip tie it down good and set the sensativity so if a solid thump on any window sets the alarm to warning ,should be a double chirp.

The remote start is not to bad my brother is the one who helps me out with my alarms (15yrs exp) if anyone nees i can possible get the wire specs from the book we have, or get them faxed from our DEI supplier.

Old 05-15-2006, 06:05 AM

you want to route the wires and tape it up b4 makin any connections. i have some pics of the install but i have to search through my HDD.

-for hood pin, not sure where, cause i use a Prestige hpin bracket. its located at front side driver fender.

-did not use siren, used factory horn instead for my own security. wired via relay.

-antenna must be stretch out as much as possible to gain the max range. i put mine behind the rear mirror.

-shock sensor, tied to ignition harness or any large bundle of wires for better response.
Originally Posted by B_Sharp

eg Antenna placement
- 4runner 2000
if you need some help for this DIY, let me know, i can help you put it together w/ pics.

Last edited by profuse007; 05-15-2006 at 06:07 AM.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:12 AM

DEI have factory disarm wire, hook it up directly to the keysense wire

use valet button to manually disarm alarm if remote lost.

Originally Posted by B_Sharp
I need to hook up the IGnition wire to the alarm module. Although the alarm works, disarming without the remote requires a turn of the IGnition key.

Well right now, if the remote breaks, the alarm will not shut off manually. I would have to break the siren. Attaching IGition wire should fix this.

What sucks though is landlords do not like fixing automobiles at an apartment complex. Liability and all, so you don't get run over by another tenant. LOL
Makes sense. Just sneak around nosey landlord.
btw, anyone want a unit (clifford rsx 3.5 or viper 791xv) installed and locate in houston tx, let me know. i do not install anymore but my younger brother does. PM me or send an email to my bro for ur interest, toan.tran@earthlink.net. $320, installed +$X.XX for additional parts if required. 96-02 4runner. rear window roll up/down for free.

Last edited by profuse007; 05-15-2006 at 06:23 AM.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:04 AM

RECOVERED STOLEN VEHICLE

Oh BTW my 4Runner actually was stolen last March. Lucky for me it was recovered 3 weeks later undamaged. Just the ignition needed to be replaced. The crooks used it to work for a construction site. Left some minor tools behind.

But the crooks must have had to ditch the truck quickly before a patrol cop found it because they left TONS of paperwork behind to identify them. Paycheck stubs, valentines love letters, financial records. Now it is up to the detective if he can get a conviction. Doubtful though, legally a car thief almost must be caught red handed.

The thief even left behind the state temporary license. Amazing! The state dept of motor vehicle does NOT verify VIN # if vehicle is legal. Wow. But in the end I had a fortunate recovery.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
the trickiest one for me was the shock sensor placement. even with it turned down to the lowest setting, it would go off. why? because i loosely zip tied it to a bundle of wires, so ever vibration from a passing car or truck would set it off. thus, i fastened it tightly to the bundle. no problem since then and now i have the sensitivity a little below the center hash mark.

bob
My shock sensor has a little opening with a screw in it that you can turn to adjust the sensitivity.