General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic
View Poll Results: Would you buy a diesel 4runner or truck?
Yes
91.03%
No
8.97%
Voters: 702. You may not vote on this poll

Would you buy a diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2003, 06:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JD I'm going to start saving all my change! I already did a lot of work in the last few weeks so I can't sell this one to the warden but definately I'd rather go 5L than 5vze. I need low end power not a high RPM supercharged monster.

1. How does the 5L compare in weight to a 3vze or 5vze?
2. What gearing is stock with a 5L Hilux? I'm thinking 4.10 would be good with 32-33" tires.
3. What would a 5L with harness, computer, and everything else necesary cost?

Last edited by Victor; 04-24-2003 at 06:41 AM.
Old 04-24-2003, 07:18 AM
JD

1) Don't know off hand but at a guess I would say its likely to be heavier. I crated a 2L for a guy in CA and it neally killed me, LOL.

2) Stock gearing is 4.556. 4.1's might be too high especially with 32-33's.

3) As a guide I'll get a cost on those on the page, next time I visit.

I am not a fan of diesels as they just don't have the instant grunt of a good petrol and I would have thought a supercharged 3.4 would have heaps of low grunt as well as top end. I know thats the way I would go, LOL.

But where the diesel excells is in wheeling situations as they will go all day and give an great mpg at the same time. The turbo diesels are good highway cruises but non turbo's don't like hills.

But I must confess this is the " 5L !!! " I prefer as it has more bottom end grunt than a pig farm as well as a wild top end, LOL.
Old 04-24-2003, 08:03 AM

Hehe. I had a 5.0 in my Mustang GT and with just a little work it made lots of power. I loved its torque - I could cruise at 30 MPH in 4th or 5th without problems. I miss that but I think I could get some of that torque back with a diesel.

I was told by someone who had a South American diesel Toyota that stock gearing was 3.90. So my 4.56 will be great for the diesel. Good to hear. I'm going 265/75r16 so a regear later would have sucked.

A guy here on the board reported spending nearly $3000 for a headgasket failure on his 3.0. I've seen 3.0's go for $4000 with install labor. That scares me although my engine has no leaks and runs great.
Old 04-24-2003, 09:20 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The concensus on ODW is that there's no cost effective way you will get an imported diesal to pass emissions testing and other vehicle codes and laws. Brian, over there, has done a lot of research into this. You can do some searching over there at the toyota 4wheeling forum.

Here's some more pictures of Japan's 3rd gen 4runners:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...&threadid=1428

Steve
Old 04-24-2003, 09:26 AM

Hmm. Here in Texas there is no emissions test on diesels. As a matter of fact when I take my wife's car for inspection they pop the hood, say "Deee sell" and put a sticker on it.
Old 04-24-2003, 09:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's cool. You might want to look into other vehicle codes though. I'm sure lots of other people have dreamed about dropping in a diesel but ran into problems.
Old 04-24-2003, 03:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i'd buy a diesel

lower maintainance, higher reliability, and more towing power

not to mention i could make my own fuel(biodiesel) for less than a third of the current price of gasoline, plus it doesn't pollute nearly as much and the exhaust smells like french fries
Old 04-24-2003, 04:44 PM

I looked longingly at the diesels offered by toyota to the rest of the world, but the logistics of getting one imported and approved were just not feasible. Not to mention that the current 1kz 4x4 hilux only gets 19 mpg, and has a 0-60 mph time of like 20 seconds... It needs about 100 more HP before it is really ready for the US market.

John
Old 04-25-2003, 01:44 AM

Ive GOT one. ex UN 3.0L turbo diesel - awesome power and great durability .... big Yes from me
Old 04-25-2003, 05:03 AM
JD

Originally posted by Robinhood150
The concensus on ODW is that there's no cost effective way you will get an imported diesal to pass emissions testing and other vehicle codes and laws. Steve
Steve, there must be a loophole somewhere, LOL as I have sent two Toy diesels to guys in CA, which I understand to be the most pollution law State and both had no problems. Even cost them zip in duty as the small Toy diesel attracted no duty. The last guy paid $58 for some paperwork and that was it.

One guy sent me a pic of his installed and in use. Nice truck. If there is a registration or emissions testing issue they must have found a way past it, LOL.
Old 04-25-2003, 05:49 AM
Banned

Its good to know that people might be installing Diesel engines without having to cut through tons of red tape. If you could contact your customers and get comments on paperwork involved to pass inspection etc. that would be great.

I read on the Pirate 4x4 Suzuki forum that someone put a Toyota turbo Diesel motor in a Samurai. He's got plates so it must be legal.

After searching a little it apperars that there are a handfull of Samurais with Diesel motors. Some are using a VW 1.9 Turbo. Some use Toyota motors and trannies. I want to find out more about the red tape involved. Maybe there isn't any.

Last edited by jx94148; 04-25-2003 at 06:19 AM.
Old 04-25-2003, 07:59 PM
NJ

1KZ-TE

Hey Woody,
You would not happen to have come across any specs for the older 1KZ-TE engine would you..? I remember looking them up at toyota.co.jp ages ago when first I got my 1996 Surf (second hand in '99), but then the model changed and I don't have them anymore.
That's what I get for not saving the page

Thanx
Old 04-25-2003, 09:03 PM
Contributing Member

In a heartbeat1

If my 3.0 dies I'll have to import a yota TD from overseas! the only problem is ...new harness...new computer...Why don't i bring over the whole truck!...We in canada lost the diesel about the same time the US did about 1985/86 I think...it was'nt the best for hp or grunt i'm told but it was a D...If you want to import a diesel check the whole world it seems toyota has massaged the same engine for different markets ...when I check UK the engine has one rating, OZ same engine displacement differnt rating , and again for africa and european continent? is it just measured differently in those places or is the engine adjusted?...But For the record when asked "should toyota offer a diesel here in NA? " I say," HELL YES!!!" cheers Aviator
Old 04-25-2003, 09:36 PM
Banned

The US never had a Toyota diesel. I'd take a Canadian one from the mid 80s. What about Mexico? I know they are all over South America. Those are probably the closest ones geographically.
Old 04-25-2003, 10:18 PM
Contributing Member

Re: 1KZ-TE

Originally posted by NJ
Hey Woody,
You would not happen to have come across any specs for the older 1KZ-TE engine would you..? I remember looking them up at toyota.co.jp ages ago when first I got my 1996 Surf (second hand in '99), but then the model changed and I don't have them anymore.
That's what I get for not saving the page

Thanx
No, but I think one of the Brits who posts here has a web site with lots of Surf data and their diesels.

Anyone remember who it was?
Old 04-25-2003, 11:07 PM

Would you buy a diesel?
In a heartbeat !!! Where do I sign up?!
Old 04-26-2003, 03:23 PM

Diesel Toy truck-YES! And I would run biodiesel as much as possible. Here in the farmland of Ohio the farmers are running that stuff in all hteir diesel applications. It is a biodegradeable, virtually non toxic, domestically produced, renewable fuel. Alot of the commercial fuel supply places and farm centers around here sell it by the barrel and there is a retail pump within 20 miles of me. With a modern diesel system (like a new vw jetta diesel) and biodiesel emissions can be reduced up to 99%. The hardest one to get rid of is NOx, but current research is even getting that one reduced. Biodiesel is the ONLY alternative fuel that has met the EPA's health and polution standard 211.....ah i could go on for hours.
go here and read more:

http://www.biodiesel.org/pdf_files/emissions.PDF
Old 04-26-2003, 09:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by jx94148
The US never had a Toyota diesel. I'd take a Canadian one from the mid 80s. What about Mexico? I know they are all over South America. Those are probably the closest ones geographically.
i could have sworn we did. however, i've never seen a 3rd gen pickup(84-85 or up) with one. the only diesel 'yotas i see are 82-83, 2wd, and usually bright yellow. there's quite a few of them around here...but then again, maybe it was because of our close vicinity to canada...
Old 11-17-2003, 02:57 PM
Contributing Member

I'd trade all four of my vehicles for a turbo diesel Yota, Hi-Lux, Runner, Prado or Cruiser.

Just show me where to sign.

Diesel = Industrial, Gas = Commercial

(IMHO theres a huge difference in long term dependability: advantage diesel.)

Doug M.
Old 11-17-2003, 06:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 4Runner is getting older (197k) and still runs great, but I keep looking around to see what diesels might fit. One salesman at a non-Toy dealership told me he had heard that Toy was bringing out a diesel fairly soon...but I can't seem to find any info on it if it's true.

The problem with the Toy diesel, is getting parts. Everything would have to be imported. Lately, I've been looking into Mercedes 300TD's. I believe they make them new at the Alabama plant and parts are available at any MB dealership. I've been looking for one to size up with my 4Runner.

Any one with any MB experience here?

Quick Reply: Would you buy a diesel?