General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic
View Poll Results: Would you buy a diesel 4runner or truck?
Yes
91.03%
No
8.97%
Voters: 702. You may not vote on this poll

Would you buy a diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 05:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm a no voter because where I'm at diesel is quite a bit more per gallon, and they're worse for the atmosphere not to mention harder to start this time of year. I'll hold out for electric thank you.
Worse for the atmosphere? Ummm! Pretty sure their not.

And all you electric car guys might think its the coolest thing in the world right now. But soon they will jack up the price of electricity to about $3.50 per however many watts it takes you to go 20 miles. So you'll be paying roughly $3.50 every 20 miles. BAM back where you started with a 3.4L taco. But your saving the environment and your farts will smell better. THEIR GONNA GET THE SAME AMOUNT OF MONEY OUT OF YOU SOME HOW!!

The government is the biggest drug dealer around. They love to get you hooked on stuff.

When electricity came out, they promised it cheap, now its outrageous.
When cars came out, they promised it would be cheap, and now... see where this is going?
Your the guys that trade your cell phones in every year for one more button you'll never use.

Bottem line here... diesels are cool, way cooler then some electric makita car.
Massive low end, cool sound, good efficiency. Id get one, doesn't mean I'm not happy with my gas powered yota either.

Last edited by ThatGuy1295; 02-10-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its all been said before, but most of the smoke you see is actually is not smoke, it heavy particulits. It settles to the ground, it doesn't stay in the air. As for electric, the production and disposal of the batteries uses almost as much energy and causes the same amount of pollution as a modern compact clean diesel does in 100k miles..

As for the question, yes, I would buy a diesel over any comparable gas vehicle.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:28 AM

I went out of my way to buy a diesel Toyota, and I put up with driving from the wrong side of the truck as a result, but it's totally worth it.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by yotaman85
Its all been said before, but most of the smoke you see is actually is not smoke
It actually is smoke, but who cares? If all of us drove diesels tomorrow the environment wouldn't be any better or worse off than it is now. There are some clean diesel vehicles out there now (Mercedes Bluetec, Audi, etc...$$$), but the diesels that came in the old Hilux's and Land Cruisers are a far cry from those. That being said I'd put a Hilux diesel in my truck in a heartbeat! You can't kill them, they require very little maintenance, and they have a crapload of torque (all down low) for their size. Can't go wrong there.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:32 PM

driving a 84 diesel with turbo on it, love it. Had a 86 4 runner with 22re and a 91 Tacoma with the same motor. I get 30-32 miles per gallon with the diesel running 30 inch tires. I love Toyotas and love diesels, :-) one happy camper here!
Old 04-28-2013, 11:31 AM

I vote yes to diesels, that's what I have.

I drive a 84 yota 2.4 liter turbo diesel, towing a small trailer and staying in 4th gear I got 32-33 mpg. With the 30" tires she slows on the uphill and need to down shift but I am very happy with it. I also use this truck as a wood gathering device when camping, towing home dead trees. I use the 4wd for pulling them out but is unneeded for getting them home. Had a 86 4 runner with 22re motor, loved it. Also had a 91 Tacoma with the 22re but it was a dog. This is no jackrabbit but I'm not racing anyone either so that doesn't matter too much to me.

Last edited by funlover; 04-28-2013 at 11:33 AM. Reason: did not see my earlier post
Old 05-03-2013, 11:22 PM

A clean Diesel is what I'm waiting to buy next. Thanks to BMW and VW there is now more hope for other manufacturers.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:35 PM

if i had the money id import a diesel right now
if you only argument is that the diesel oil is dirty 1 you shouldnt be changing your own oil if you worried about a little black oil 2 the oil gets dirty because of the soot that is in the blow by, i run diesel oil in my 22re and when i spun a rod bearing (not oils fault bought truck with a knock) everything looked brand new no sludge to speak of because diesel oil is a detergent oil so all the crap that was in the oil actually came out of the motor because the oil was cleaning it while lubricating id rather see dirty oil than clean oil come out of my truck cause that means less crap that was in the motor before
to the guy holding out for electric cars when get into researching about electric cars they are worse for the environment than diesel and probably gas after the calculations you only save around 15 cent per "gallon" when buy kilowatts from the electric company, now saving 15 cents per "gallon" is pretty good imo however saying the pollute less is completely false its just the fact that you dont drive the source of pollution every day it gets moved to power company that pollutes just that much more providing you with your kilowatts to charge that battery, the best part is that the lithium battery that hold your electricity has to be replaced roughly every 5 years so buy the time you think you car could possibly in the near future pay for itself you have to pay a small fortune for a new battery, and when that lithium battery has to go to a dump your electric car that you bragged to your friends being the best car out there has just tipped the scales to being more polluting than a gas engine and much much more than a diesel
http://www.dieselpowermag.com/news/1...electric_cars/
great article you guys should read it
Old 05-04-2013, 01:36 PM

double post my bad