General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

What is broken on YOUR Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
on my 97 DD a couple of dash lights are out. Slider for fresh vs recycle air is broke so I just leave it on fresh.

On the 91 Runner I'm fixing up it is gushing power steering fluid and leaking some oil around the valve covers and both front axle boots are torn. Gotta get motivated to finish it off and put it up for sale. Already did the clutch, rear main seal and new fuel pump.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:05 PM

rear defroster not working....
Old 01-18-2012, 05:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
glove box light won't work in my Taco or my new Sequoia. no power at the harness, tried to do LED replacement but no dice... crap
Old 01-18-2012, 05:46 PM

Drivers side window very hard to crank up or down...leave it up for the winter and open the wing window.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:07 PM

Radio broke at year 1 now for 29 years i get to sing acappela!
Antenna broke some where on a tail no loss radio didnt work ;-)
trans idler gear broke year 6
left rear axle seal leaking started in mexico year 7 one day ill get around to fixing that
distributer froze year 14
will change oil one of these days!
drivers door lock broke swapped for passenger door lock year 14
replaced both fenders darn rocks and trees always gettin in the way year 21
new truck in a can, painted all the rust spots on cab and bed year 26,
need some help with below, tyvm
I have an 1980 pickup 4X4 with power steering. Bought the truck new. So been a lot of good miles together. I have 31X10.50R 15LT tires on it. I put those size tires on about 6 months after buying it. My be a year or so when I turned I got a noise like when you turn the wheel all the way to the stop and get that bypass noise or like air in lines, intermititly. Then over the years it got worse. Now I have a almost no power steering gettin arms like popeye turning it now and wife wont drive it anymore. My question is, on the pump there is a small philips screw head just behind the pully in front of pump in line with the out line in the back. Is that an adjustable spring loaded relief valve? May be with the bigger tires and all the back pressure that valve has now stuck open/closed. Clean pump, replace pump, steering box? Fluid lvl fine. unemployed atm so dont have a lot of money to throw around replacing pump and or steering box. Cant find any diagram showing what that little screw does. Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Radio broke at year 1 now for 29 years i get to sing acappela!
Antenna broke some where on a tail no loss radio didnt work ;-)
trans idler gear broke year 6
left rear axle seal leaking started in mexico year 7 one day ill get around to fixing that
distributer froze year 14
will change oil one of these days!
drivers door lock broke swapped for passenger door lock year 14
replaced both fenders darn rocks and trees always gettin in the way year 21
new truck in a can, painted all the rust spots on cab and bed year 26,
need some help with below, tyvm
I have an 1980 pickup 4X4 with power steering. Bought the truck new. So been a lot of good miles together. I have 31X10.50R 15LT tires on it. I put those size tires on about 6 months after buying it. My be a year or so when I turned I got a noise like when you turn the wheel all the way to the stop and get that bypass noise or like air in lines, intermititly. Then over the years it got worse. Now I have a almost no power steering gettin arms like popeye turning it now and wife wont drive it anymore. My question is, on the pump there is a small philips screw head just behind the pully in front of pump in line with the out line in the back. Is that an adjustable spring loaded relief valve? May be with the bigger tires and all the back pressure that valve has now stuck open/closed. Clean pump, replace pump, steering box? Fluid lvl fine. unemployed atm so dont have a lot of money to throw around replacing pump and or steering box. Cant find any diagram showing what that little screw does. Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Niiice!! That thing is a trooper. Junk yard pump would be my answer, sounds like running it with low fluid or jus being old has takin its toll on it. And plenty of info on how to bleed the steering box's on this forum. Theres an adjustment screw on the steering box for steering free play, but as far as pump adjustments go Im pretty sure theres not.

Ive also experienced steering fluid leaking from the steering box adjustment screw because it was loose. Just a thought.

Keep on truckin
Old 01-22-2012, 11:25 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Old time, .........

Is this pump also the type that uses ATF Dextron-3, like my 87, guys? I mention this because, well, I had no clue it was ATF and not Power Steering Fluid, .....and well, the power steering fluid?>>>> it blew my gear box OUT! Just making sure you're using the proper fluid, first. (this started for me because my system was leaking a lil and I had to fill it, which I did at the time, using the "leak sealer" type power steering fluid..... Within a month, the box began to fail... Then I flushed it and used all fluid instead of ATF..... it did the box in for good, within another week.

I got a 'good shape' 85K mi. gear box at the yard for 60$ out of a 2wd(if that's your problem).... 2wd is the same box and it's preferred in this repair/replacement because it does a lot less work/takes less abuse than the 4wd boxes.... I think I paid 39$ at O-Reilly's for my steering pump, lifetime warranty, and it's going strong 6K later, no leaks or signs of drama(I would do the OEM repair kit next time, but didn't have time at the moment).

Sorry bout the drama, Old Time(tough thing when funds are tight)
Old 01-23-2012, 06:39 PM

so when i try and use my turn signals, in either direction they both blink like the hazards are on

oh and when i hit the brake the marker lights come on in the front of the truck

kinda funny really i think i just have some wires crossed...
Old 01-24-2012, 07:53 AM

Crank seal is leaking because of the groove the old seal left, buying a sleeve for it today. Also having the brake/charge lights coming and going. Gonna try to take car of that today as well.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:47 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey Duckie, ....

I had a leak as well, changed out my seal for a new OEM-Updated(it's set back differently so it wont ride on the grooves) and no more leaks. BUT, if you are gonna sleeve it, just to be sure, best wishes, man.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Hey Duckie, ....

I had a leak as well, changed out my seal for a new OEM-Updated(it's set back differently so it wont ride on the grooves) and no more leaks. BUT, if you are gonna sleeve it, just to be sure, best wishes, man.
If I didn't already have a new seal, I would consider this. I'd prefer not to sleeve it but I cant justify spending more money on another new different seal lol. Thanks for the wishes, I need it.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:22 PM

1987 4 runner will not go into 4 wheel drive ? light go's on the dash cluster when shifted in place meaning 4 hi 4 lo.It has a the IFS front suspension with automatic hubs.I have numerous people,friend's forum's ect. no replies,and a lot of i don't kno's.One other question will toyota 2000 manual factory hub's fit my 1987 4 runner Which now run's factory auto hub's. trying hard to keep it original oh well.........the front axle does not have and vacum port's.Can anyone tell me if it is electical ?I was googling and came across a note about a ADD sensor Automatic Differential Disconnect Sensor ? 1987 4 Runner / WHERE WOULD IT BE LOCATED.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:32 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
The 2000 hubs won't fit. There are plenty of people that would love to have them though. The manual hubs from any pre 95.5 ifs toyota will fit though. I don't think they started using add until 89. Manual hubs would be easy enough to do. They are much easier to find than the ones for the 2000.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:43 PM

1987 4 runner also Back Window will not work up or down,in nee of EFI Air Breather Cover,Need's Speedo Cable just Broke on friday,don't want to drive it until i find a cable took off from trans and found it to be broken right at the tip,center console craked need all 3 swithces,left off gas and a lifter like noise start's up.when tottle is applied sound go's away,needs right side (driver's side) vent window,got some blow by,pushing oil out of the top hose next to the oil cap not real bad but oil is coming out of it.i need to replace the hose with the right size,needs a pcv vavle,and lifter's need to be adjusted ,just changed the timing chin new gear's and ten.It was bought new in mid 87 ,Iam the seconded owner,i have owned the 4 Runner for 2 month's on Sunday
Old 03-04-2012, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by JBurt
The 2000 hubs won't fit. There are plenty of people that would love to have them though. The manual hubs from any pre 95.5 ifs toyota will fit though. I don't think they started using add until 89. Manual hubs would be easy enough to do. They are much easier to find than the ones for the 2000.
Thank's For That Info ,I guess i will sell the 2000 hub's and look for the 95 man hubs..............God Bless.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:47 PM

It sounds like the locker is worn or broken. You have 1 of 2 things to do. Either replace the old ones with manual locks or get the automatic locks. If the sensor didn't work it would still go into 4 wheel drive. The locks worked with rotation. As the wheel turned (after selecting 4hi or 4lo) small keys would lock the front end. If you have it fixed or do it yourself, check for broken parts and worn parts. Good Luck
Old 03-04-2012, 11:32 PM

my wing window closer broke
but I got a radiator and a slider rear window today with a tailgate comming soon
so fun soon
Old 03-04-2012, 11:42 PM

Timing chain......AGAIN
Old 03-05-2012, 08:17 AM

One pic is worth 1,000 words:

Old 03-06-2012, 08:46 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
^^^^ I really don't miss that!^^^^^^
Looks like it's time to buy some MLS gaskets.

Quick Reply: What is broken on YOUR Toyota