General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

What is broken on YOUR Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 11:52 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Bunch of things.... (LOTS less than a couple years ago, however ) haha....

* NOW/for a while; My passenger side tailgate latch ..... wont latch. Gotta fix that... hoping the cable just needs some 'coaxing', ya know?

* Rear Window Relay intermittently gives me crap.... Glad I know the 'SMACK THE PANELING' method

* Reverse light on pass. side gives me the 'One Eye' on occasions

* 4th Gear will NOT go quietly with the clutch being used.. must dry shift...and that works fine.

* The INFAMOUS cable to the climate control(hot/cold).... going to the gates and heater control valve Could be more the valve... have to look into it. I have a 2nd Gen 4Runner HCValve to slap in there... Gonna do the heater core hoses, also, same time... call it Thursday

* I DON'T KNOW; But, whatever it is, it's causing me to idle down to 450-500rpm and seemingly run on 3 cyl's.... ONLY on "Hot Restarts"... and it goes away after a minute...Or less if I feather the pedal.

That's the majority of it... not huge problems... I'm grateful.. but some VERY annoying! hehe.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
* I DON'T KNOW; But, whatever it is, it's causing me to idle down to 450-500rpm and seemingly run on 3 cyl's.... ONLY on "Hot Restarts"... and it goes away after a minute...Or less if I feather the pedal.
Amen brother haha, does it have trouble starting when it does this? Mine will sometimes sound like the starter is about to explode, then it idles like crap for a min like yours.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:38 PM

Nope, one half turn of the starter/flywheel engagement and POOF, it's running....AND DENNNNNNNNNNN,....... haha..... And then it takes a few seconds to idle down from 750rpm. Doesn't do it INSTANTANEOUSLY.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:04 PM

I bought a 92 4Runner for $700. it's a v6 4x4 with a lift kit, its been sittin for a while but it ran well I got to drive it home. It has a missing AS Reed valve, a torn charlcoal canister hose, bolts missing, no radio, needs new bushings, random cut wires, a back window that works when it wants to, a heavy gas pedal, and maybe a transmission problem but i wont find that out till i get paid. Im stoked to get started working on it this is my dream truck!
Old 09-22-2012, 09:15 AM

Ok few problems some have been fixed lol

Bought the truck a year ago with failed inspection because the brake system light was on.. added brake fluid and it passed lol

So since then
Rusted out front fenders....replace
Broke the antenna trying to replace fenders.. need to fix
Rusted out bed... in process of building a wood flatdeck for it
Bent trailer hitch picked of new one
locked up front brake caliper... replaced rotors, calipers, pads, wheel bearings and seals up front
Rust issues under door and in front wheel well.. gotta learn how to weld
Window is incredibly hard to roll up.. took apart and greased.. im an idiot because first hot day it dripped all over the window when it was rolled down and made a mess.. guess I need a new regulator
Rear window latches all broke let water in.. replace latch
Cup holders broke
Spare tire winch it rusted solid
Spare tire is rusted bad
All four shocks are rusted pretty bad
Rear axel is rusted pretty bad.. maybe swap in a whole new axel??

I thinks that's about it lol
Old 09-22-2012, 09:29 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ummmmm; Well everything.......
Old 09-22-2012, 03:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Drag link bushings. Ordered.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
90 4runner, Rear window is off track, and won't always go down, Defroster wires to window are just hanging there. Still have to fix my driver side door where someone used a wedge to unlock it, and that needs to be done soon as the Fairbanks AK winter is on it's way soon. Dash lights still don't work, and i've researched everything on yota tech it seems like. Clutch is starting to slip, replacement ordered, along with CMC, and clutch rez, just to be safe and have new, no suprise problems there. And need to redo all 4 brakes soon.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:30 PM

87 4runner lets see....
Driver power mirror. Where the hell do you find these?
Driver Wing Window. And these?
Power antenna. And this?
Bumper end caps gone front and rear.
rusted out passenger fender.
smashed driver fender.
Sway bar link broken.
The clock and climate control covers. where do you get these?
Other than that its good, and happy with its new clutch!

Last edited by Mdumaw; 09-22-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:12 PM

Drivers side front caliper is sticking, not shut just stuck half way open.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:25 PM

My sound system is horrible, sounds like all my speakers are busted. I drive with over ear headphones on, haha.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Freeman02081985
I drive with over ear headphones on, haha.
That's safe.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:52 PM

Bad o2 sensor,both cv axles are toast,radiator mounts broke off rad,no running lights,no turn signals,and im pretty sure it needs a new clutch even though i was told its 6mos old.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:53 AM

passenger side visor is saggy..
Sunroof is off track..
leaks a little oil..
Overall not bad for a 22 year old 4runner w/264k miles haha
Old 10-01-2012, 07:28 PM

-passanger door doesnt open from outside
-heater only as high

huhh, thought i had more that was actually 100% broke... that makes me happy!
Old 10-03-2012, 10:19 AM

Cab mounts completely gone. Does any one have a suggestion to go about this? Should I cut a set off another truck, or should I fabricate a set.. has anyone done this?
Old 10-03-2012, 11:30 AM

Previously listed things I've now fixed.......

* AC/VSV (I did a mod in a way by moving the AC/VSV to the fender{AWAY FROM 240*f TEMPS! HAHA}, and replacing it with an AC/VSV from a 90's Tercel that I got for 1$ at Pick-Your-Part.... It even plugs right into my original connector[Took a while to find which ones are direct plug and play... But many that have fixed round type connectors CAN be used, ...they just have to be spliced in.] .........) So; IF YOU HAVE NO IDLE UP WITH THE AC ON, and you're totally annoyed? IT'S AN EASY FIX! I have plenty of extra VSV's I can shoot to people on the cheap(what I paid plus shipping) or you can go get your own... WHY BE IDLING DOWN TO 500RPM WITH THE AC ON??? hehehe... Ok, it's not that dramatic... but every lil fix that makes things more 'back to norm', .... is pretty cool.

* Fixed my Broken driver side Electric SR5 1st Gen 4Runner Mirror(If I looked in it while driving, ..... I nearly would go into epileptic fits! And NO, I'm NOT an epileptic! Yes, it was that vibrating/shaky.. making it useless to me on the road.. And HOW IMPORTANT ARE THE MIRRORS, RIGHT?

* After 10 years, thanks to AKEZD, I now have a Dimmer Switch! I have 3 others I got at the Pick-Your-Parts as well. They all work, I've tested them(Hey, parts for these aren't getting EASIER to come by, RIGHT? ) hehe.

* Swapped in a 2nd Gen 4Runner Dome light in my 87(took only a TINY lil cut on each side to get it to fit... Same bolt holes).... They have WAY better handle ends that are a solid piece of plastic. (also added some LED's in there and the rest of my 3022 slots! )

* Repaired my drivers SR5 1st Gen 4Runner bucket seat... (Had it apart and got a dude to weld it back where it snapped).... and reinforced it with extra 1" Firm Cushion, cut out to fit, under the rump and in the backrest, cut out all the way to the shoulder wings on top, UNDER the original cover..... ONE OF THE BEST fixes as far as 'comfortable ride improvements', as I DO drive long distances quite often)

* Repaired my "MY TAILGATE WONT LATCH, HELP!" condition, thanks to Terrys_87 and some others... EASY fix! And, the answer to the 'wont close' riddle is the sticky cables that they use in the 1st Gen 4Runner$(hehe)... I simply snagged some 2nd Gen 4Runner cables and cleaned up even the latches, regreased everything and VOILA, my tailgate shuts and latches smoother than it has since I've owned it. (The 1st Gen 4Runner cables used rubberized cables... The 2nd Gens used NO coating but instead used a boot on the end.... VERY much better idea and quality.....) It's in my build and I did a thread on it as well if anyone is needing to repair that.

There's a few more things... but I need my hands to get back to work, lol..... I'll update more later.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Renegade4x4
Cab mounts completely gone. Does any one have a suggestion to go about this? Should I cut a set off another truck, or should I fabricate a set.. has anyone done this?
Fab a set from 18ga steel, use the opposite side for a mirror image
Old 10-05-2012, 03:59 AM

Skypilot.....Thank you for the suggestion. I am going to attempt this over the weekend, I hope it can be done in two days.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:54 AM

Whats not broken.

I love my 4Runner to bits but it's a bit of a money pit.
-Some windows work most of the time, sometimes I can control them from drivers door, most of the time not so much.
-Some days it does not start, the starter was the first thing replaced. Usually will work in 5- 50 minutes later.
-Headlights won't turn on, physically have to plug in relay under hood when I need the lights on, and unplug it when I am done. Hoping I will just need a new headlight switch inside.
-Smells like fuel! Had a fuel injector changed but it's getting BAD. (any idea please pm me)
-Sunroof has slowed to a crawl and usually needs help pulling to close, and leaks a little.
-Power Antenna, had to remove because it was broken off and kept wanting to retract and kill battery.

Love love love it and it's so great to drive. Not ready for another vehicle yet.

Amanda

Last edited by 4RunnerNinja; 10-09-2012 at 07:59 AM.

Quick Reply: What is broken on YOUR Toyota