General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

D.I.Y. bedliner recommendations.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
D.I.Y. bedliner recommendations.

I want to take the rubber floor mat out of my truck when I put the cage and new seats in it.. The mat is in good shape, but it holds moisture under it.

I did a roll in bed liner in the cab of my old 85 and I wasn't that pleased with the results.. I want something that is thick, will reduce heat and noise.

If you have used a D.I.Y. kit in the cab of your truck, and would again, please give me your experiences..

Thanks in advance, Mack
Old 09-21-2013, 02:23 PM

My dad had rhino liner done to his truck bed 7 or so years ago and it was A+ quality. It would handle all sorts of loads and never scratch or cut through to the metal. It never peeled either. My cousin using a roll on type I think Herculiner to do the inside of his wrangler last year and it's already worn down to in spots. My dad did have his liner put in at a certified shop so I'm not sure if that was a difference or not but it just seemed way better and thicker and durable to me then the Herculiner.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't done it yet because I have much more pressing things to fix, but I did the research and it seems that line-x and rhino, etc. don't really reduce heat or noise.

What I'm eventually going to use is Lizard skin. It's a two coat application one for noise and one for thermal.

You should check that out. IIRC it was pretty affordable.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:05 PM

Ya like boob200587 said, they don't reduce hear, it's going to reduce vibrations a little thus lowering noise, but nothing noticeable. I have used Raptor Bed-liner by Upol in a prerunner before, was in the truck around 2 years when I sold it, still looked fine. I have had Rhino Liner delivery trucks before and it has never lasted more than a couple years, Line-X seemed to hold up better. Rhino has gone under and been brought back by another company, anyone who has access to a good local body shop supply store can buy the entire Rhino Liner application system but it's not cost effective. Herculiner is pretty low on the totem pole, be better off with a Raptor, SEM Shake and Shoot, or USC Defender-Pro. I have a Defender-Pro in my truck because it was a free sample from the rep. It's holding up great, doesn't see much use tho, have it covered in a rubber truck bed mat.

I have seen Lizard Skin used before it's an Acrylic Insulation Emulsion which is similar to a more expensive white roof coating.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:36 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Bedliner, Then Anti-Fatigue mats to replace carpet

Originally Posted by gmack192
...but it holds moisture under it....
... I want something that is thick, will reduce heat and noise.
Hi Mack and guys,
(I did not use bedliner because my truck does not get flooded).
IF my truck were meant for frequent wet trips, I would:
  1. Use rubbery bedliner that forum agrees upon as good. This will help minimize vibration/rattling of metal parts, then
  2. Trim industrial grade (i.e., used at machine shops, about 3/8-inch thick) anti-fatigue mat to shape for easy install and removal. Use them as you would Weather Tech mats- only cover under seats as well as tranny hump. This will help insulate from heat and noise. Make sure you secure parts under pedals for safety
  3. Do same in rear deck if you have a 4Runner.
If you don't think tranny hump gets flooded, use Thermo-shield (from Pep Boys) or equivalent to insulate from heat and noise.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:46 PM

I have thick floor mats that I will reuse after I put the liner.

And my truck does get wet inside, no top and soft half doors..
Old 09-21-2013, 04:47 PM

I used a spray can style bed liner for my cab in my 93.. I posted a complete write up on it in my build thread including pics. I am very satisfied with my results however its kinda hard to clean the floors now unless you use a water hose and shop vac.

I believe the material was called PlastiCote... I sprayed it twice. It's not very thick so don't expect a noise dampener or insulator.

Check out my Build Thread if you want more info on it.

No matter what you use..... Prepping is the key to bonding.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:42 PM

I've heard that Herculiner is a popular choice for the inside of trucks and jeeps. And another +1 on lizard skin if you want to reduce heat and noise.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rust-oleum just came out with spray on bed liner. Have sprayed some on my frame and am observing to see how it olds up. Seem a little thin when you spray it on, not so much like Rhino or LineX, more like a heavy rubber paint.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:03 PM

+1 for roll-on herculiner.. in/on my truck
I used several coats over time think I am at about 6 now on the inside

Last edited by Scirocco16v; 10-25-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:22 PM

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Scirocco16v
+1 for roll-on herculiner.. in/on my truck
I used several coats over time think I am at about 6 now on the inside
just dont use it as an actual bed liner because it will not last
Old 10-25-2013, 04:33 PM

I was looking at Rustoleum Deck restore the other day, but didn't have time to study it.. But it looked fairly thick and it comes in colors... May do more research on it.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:45 PM
RSR

Check out cruiser crap if you'd liek to keep your carpet. Also some good floor mats should keep you covered otherwise -- if you're not flooding your truck.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by RSR
Check out cruiser crap if you'd liek to keep your carpet. Also some good floor mats should keep you covered otherwise -- if you're not flooding your truck.
I have a rubber (factory type) floor mat now and regular (thick) floor mats now.. The problem is moisture between the mat and the floor.. I don't sink the truck to often, but it does get wet sometimes...

Looks like it's time to put the doors back on till spring =(....
Old 10-26-2013, 06:58 PM
RSR

Originally Posted by gmack192
I have a rubber (factory type) floor mat now and regular (thick) floor mats now.. The problem is moisture between the mat and the floor.. I don't sink the truck to often, but it does get wet sometimes...

Looks like it's time to put the doors back on till spring =(....
Cruiser crap seals to the floor with adhesive, so shouldn't hold much water and definitely less than the stock carpet underlayment. It's a noise dampening alternative. But now actually looking at your rig pics w/ running no doors, etc, it's prob not what you need...
Old 11-23-2013, 03:47 PM

Slowly but surely I am getting ready to do something, even if its wrong..

It has been a while since I have been able to work on the truck, much less do anything else. I got the interior out and the factory "STUFF" off.
Name:  BB20.jpg
Views: 1742
Size:  26.6 KB
Name:  BB21.jpg
Views: 1830
Size:  28.7 KB

There are a couple spots that need a little attention, but not bad for a 30 year old truck.

Name:  BB23.jpg
Views: 1660
Size:  36.2 KB

Time to get busy....
Old 11-23-2013, 05:02 PM

Check out Monstaliner, I have seen good results with the spray on application.
Attached Thumbnails D.I.Y. bedliner recommendations.-image-2633529885.jpg   D.I.Y. bedliner recommendations.-image-3367421228.jpg   D.I.Y. bedliner recommendations.-image-2729159039.jpg  

Last edited by Dinardy; 11-23-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:08 PM

/\ Thanks /\
Old 11-23-2013, 06:51 PM

Go on ebay and get raptor liner its a 2k sprayon liner comes with a gun lays down thick and I cam make it ruff or smooth depending on air pressure and distance 2 to 3 coats its great stuff
Old 11-25-2013, 10:42 AM
RSR

Might want to replace your cab to frame bushings while you're in there and before you spray a liner on...

Also, not sure what year you have, but might want to remove your side panels too and clean out the air, but not water tight, gaps between interior body frame and exterior frame... In the rust belt, those surely have some corrosion too. Have pics of front kick panel and rear xtra cab interior panel gaps in this thread from when I was trying to identify a sunroof leak: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...unroof-267421/

Last edited by RSR; 11-25-2013 at 10:44 AM.

Quick Reply: D.I.Y. bedliner recommendations.