General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

D.I.Y. bedliner recommendations.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 05:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert m
just dont use it as an actual bed liner because it will not last
the plan is to go flatbed, so my bed is the only spot on the truck still red.
have 3 coats on the exterior, has held up againt rambeling through the woods, wrenchs, a 6 year old with a stick.

my procedure - sanded off clear, rough the paint (80 grit), clean with thinner, rolled on coats (3x) consecutively (hot July day).

I had seen tubes where people said Herc faded real fast, however 2 years mine is still coal black. my 2 cents
Old 11-26-2013, 02:05 PM

I just went ahead and got a Herculiner kit... Cheep and easy, the way I like it..
Old 11-27-2013, 04:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I was just fixin to suggest getting Raptor Liner. I sprayed some steps I made for my Duramax 2 weekends ago. I like it so far. I done a lot of research before buying. I bought a kit, and only used half of it on the steps. Thinking about buying a couple more things of it and sprayin the floor in the 4runner since Ive already stripped the carpet.

Here's a couple pics of the liner on my steps

Name:  null_zpse9b49dca.jpg
Views: 1329
Size:  241.1 KB

Name:  null_zps57bb867e.jpg
Views: 1270
Size:  247.5 KB
(I think the close up pic is after the first coat tho)
Old 11-27-2013, 09:59 AM

/\ That looks real good.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:52 AM

Thanks. One thing I would suggest is still using a gun to spray the herculiner. The gun that comes with the raptor kit is pretty cheap to buy and you can buy empty cans that attach to it. IMO it looks better after being sprayed versus rolled.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:32 PM

The more I think about it, I may opt for the Raptor it..

I wasn't thinking when I got the herculiner, I still have a lot to do before I do the floors.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Dinardy
Check out Monstaliner, I have seen good results with the spray on application.
I have some plain black Monstaliner in my basement that I was going to use on the lower body lines and wheel wells after my 94 was painted but that never happened. I will probably use it for the interior when I pull everything out and check for rust. When I received my five free samples, I was very impressed with the colors and uniform texture of the chips. It comes in forty different colors. When I finally use it, I will post pics.

Dinardy, have you seen those trucks personally? Painting the whole vehicle in Monstaliner?...talk about a maintenance free "paint."

I have used Durabak in the past and have not been impressed with its less than uniform texture or it's durability in outside applications.

A cool page on Monsta's site is that compare it to other products such as U-POL Raptor.

What seems cool abt Monsta is that you get a uniform texture by DIY rolling it.

I am not affiliated with Monstaliner or Magnet Paints at all. I just wanted to post up here that I like it and have it but haven't used it yet. I want everyone to come to their own conclusions.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:11 PM

Daved, I have not seen those 4runners personally, although I have seen an fj80 and an fj62 coated in Monstaliner, via spray gun. The finish is outstanding, and comes with a 5 year fade warranty, which is pretty good considering.

I plan to do my 2nd gen once the clear coat finally gives all the way on my roof.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:25 AM

The cool thing about Monstaliner from what it says on the site is that its designed to be DIY and give that uniform texture by roll on. There are videos on their site that show the dude rolling it. I think its designed to let the first coat dry alittle and then when you roll the second, it gets that nice, uniform texture. But you do have the option of spraying it also. From their instruction page here, directions on how to spray:

Spray Installation

MONSTALINER™ can be sprayed using a simple “Shutz” style
undercoating gun and a compressed air source. By regulating
pressure between 50 and 100 PSI at the gun, a variety of surface
textures can be achieved. Prepare surfaces as per previous
instructions. Reduce coating with 4oz of MEK or Acetone per catalyzed gallon.
Spray 2 to 3 light - medium wet coats allowing
1 hour cure time between coats.

I have paint bought already and I too have thought about doing the whole truck. At the very least, I will do the lower half after the Runner is painted and use it where the rust and corrosion happens. Like I said before, when I do it, I will definitely post pics for everyone.

I am also going to try Chassis Saver from Magnet Paints on the rear frame of my 4Runner where there is some fair amount of rust. I am going to use their:

UCP934 Silver-Aluminum – Used as a primer under any colored industrial or automotive grade enamel topcoat or under Chassis Saver gloss or antique-satin black. Heavily filled with over two pounds per gallon of flake aluminum to help smooth and fill pits and deeper rust damage. Interleaving flake creates an incredibly dense barrier to prevent moisture permeation. Commonly used for marine barge and oil field maintenance. Great for industrial equipment, metal roofs, steel truck rims and to rejuvenate tired, rusted old chain link fence.

first on the frame and then final coat with their:

UCP99 Gloss Black – As a primer or finish coat, Chassis Saver has become the industry standard for high performance protection on all truck and auto underbody surfaces including frames, floorboards, under fenders, engine compartments, trunk areas, fire walls, etc. The #1 choice for fleet maintenance at hundreds of public works facilities, DOT maintenance shops, truck and fleet refinishing shops nationwide. Extensively used on snow and ice removal equipment saving thousands of dollars in costly repairs.

That is from this page.

Here's a couple of relevant threads that I posted to before:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f105...-liner-232314/

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120...d-liner-85436/

Enjoy.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:32 AM

I looked hard at monstor and ALs liner before buying raptor. I can't exactly remember what made me go with raptor tho.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:32 PM

Took the Herculiner back and ordered the Raptor kit... Hopefully I will be putting it in this weekend.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:27 PM

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
good call
Old 12-13-2013, 08:01 AM

I have a friend that installs raptor and rhinoliner. I talked with him about herculiner and he says it's not bad at first.

But for some reason there's a moisture layer that get's trapped between it and your bed that rust's the crap out of it.

He constantly having people come in that bought herculiner and and want him to pull it out and fix there beds with rhino liner or raptor.

so you made a good decision by using raptor
Old 12-13-2013, 09:33 AM

Got the heat on in the cave now....... Gonna start as soon as the girlfriend leaves....
Old 12-13-2013, 10:05 AM

Looking forward to some pictures. I plan to do mine at some point in the near future during my build.

When I first picked up my 4runner back in April, one of the first things I did was rip the carpet out and attempt to remove the sound deadening material. Removing the sound deadening was a PITA, so I decided to wait until it got colder to help it break out. Started again on it yesterday evening and was able to remove it ALOT faster. I still have a lil more to remove and then at some point ill start prepping it for bed liner.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:01 PM

I had a PANIC ATTACK, I went to start adding the hardener and looked in the bottle...
It was a milky color, WT............ Long story, short I was sent a "tint able" kit.. Well I started calling around to try to buy some black tint... The local parts stores were no help... So I went to Lowes, the girl at the paint counter said they don't sell tint.. I thought the project was DOOMED for this weekend.. After talking to her for a few minutes, she said if I could bring the Raptor stuff up there tomorrow after one , she would see what she could do... I told her I really needed to do this tonight because it would be 2 weeks before I would have the weekend off again.. Any how she said if I could get back before 9pm she would see if she could do anything with it. She put an once of tint in each bottle... and low and behold.. It came out PERFECT.. I used 3 bottles in the cab.. It was VERY easy to apply and in my opinion looks great...

I will try to get some pics up this weekend...

If you order it MAKE SURE you SPECIFY BLACK...
Old 12-17-2013, 05:25 PM

Sorry for the delay, I was experiencing technical difficulties.....

Pics as promised

Taped off and ready
Name:  CAGE8.jpg
Views: 1239
Size:  25.0 KB

primed with super duper $$$$ primer
Name:  CAGE6.jpg
Views: 1238
Size:  30.6 KB

I think it came out real nice, considering I really didn't have a clue..
Name:  CAGE10.jpg
Views: 1225
Size:  28.2 KB

And a couple of pics of my cheepo custom drain plugs..
Name:  CAGE16.jpg
Views: 1183
Size:  28.1 KB

And one of the finished interior..
Name:  CAGE20.jpg
Views: 1207
Size:  29.4 KB
Old 12-17-2013, 05:29 PM

I will say this, it is a lot quieter than it was with the rubber mat and the insulation I had in it...
Old 12-18-2013, 08:11 AM

Looks really good. Glad to hear that it is quieter. What about heat? My floorboards tend to get pretty warm with all the carpet and sound deadening material removed.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:31 AM

Did you end up rolling or spraying? That looks fantastic, you nailed a good texture.

Quick Reply: D.I.Y. bedliner recommendations.