Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Leaking Removable Sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 10:49 PM
RSR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Leaking Removable Sunroof

Today Central Texas had its first real rainstorm in months. And my yota (had about 10 months now) has a leaking sunroof.

Stalking the forums, everyone kept going back to the drain hoses being the likely culprit. So I attacked the hoses.

First, I ran a wire hanger through both fronts from both top and bottom to ensure there were no blockages. Then, not having compressed air, I blew in the hoses from the bottom. Air moved.

So I then ran water from the top. Despite being clean, one drain was slllooowww.

Turns out, the installer was a little overzealous with caulk and blocked more than 1/2 of two holes with caulk, pooling water (some algae growth, yes in drought stricken Texas). With a small knife, I cleaned them out.

Here's what the hole looks like cleaned out.

Leaking Removable Sunroof-img-20130402-00093.jpg

The yellow in the hole is some remaining caulk around the edges, but the fitting appears to be brass. When cleaned out and pouring a cup full of water, you can hear an audible whoosh. It's satisfying.

Despite clearing the hoses, there was still a big leak on the passenger side. I inspected door seals and not the problem (I recently applied several coats of Gummi Pflege and brought new life to the seals, http://www.1z-usa.com/einszett_gummi_pflege.html).

So, I pulled the drain hose from the pillar and poured water through. There was a leak but not in the hose/pillar. (Next post).

But back to the hose, I reinstalled (no issue with re-running it back down other than a couple of minor sticks and having to untwist the hose once reinstalled), but when taking off the bottom panels to access hoses, I noticed that they were both a little short and not fully seated in their drain grooves, potentially pooling water in a torrential situation, as there is a flat platform with a drain hole in the middle with half inch or so seam between this chamber and the cabin. So this shouldn't be getting the carpet wet -- again, this is Texas and this truck has lived there and Arizona so is nearly rust free and no rust in these drain chamber. My truck has less rust than a vehicle seeing two winters in the rust belt....
To fix hose length, all I had to do was was give it a gentle pull and then for safe measure, I zipped tied it to to the wall -- holes there making it perfect. Even if it shortens on its own again, moving up the pillar, it'll still be centered over the drain hole, not the floor board section.... Picture.Leaking Removable Sunroof-img-20130402-00090.jpg
Old 04-02-2013, 11:15 PM
RSR

So, having the headliner partially removed, I explored further. It turns out it was the removable roof hinge case that was leaking (drivers side was leaking slightly too, but less than 1/2 the passenger). So I ordered two new seals, Toyota Part # 6327812010. Hopefully they'll get in soon so I can fix.
Here's the hinge case.

And here's the hinge that slides into it:

And for SNG just note how much cleaner the sunroof bay is in the hinge case photo versus this one looking for the c clip: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8376/8...b57366d1_z.jpg (And see that post, think I located the Toyota part # for new non-deteriorated plastic).
Old 04-03-2013, 04:38 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Pics don't work..

Pic #1

Pic #2
Old 04-03-2013, 02:33 PM
RSR

Thanks for fixing.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:47 PM
RSR

Deleted - double posted.

Last edited by RSR; 05-21-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:47 PM
RSR

Quick update here.

I replaced the gaskets around the hinge cases and it fixed the leak right up. I realized I was pointed with front slightly on a downward slope -- about 1/4 to 1/2 in ledge before the case screw holes start, so loose with leaning forward caused the leaks.

Picture of old on right and new on left. Note that the new is actually spongy whereas the old is hard, crusty, and brittle, and my hinge cases were actually a little loose too. The black stuff on the packaging is the remnants of the old seal. The one on the yellow paper is the new one.

Close up of old/new seals removed/ready to install:

Close up of old/new on the hinge cases:

To install is pretty straight forward:
1. Remove sunroof.
2. Remove sunroof weatherstrip.
3. Remove sunroof trim strip -- the circular piece below weather strip around sunroof opening holding headliner up.
4. Remove headliner around front and sides of sunroof -- this allowed me to access the bolts with a Kobalt driver set like this
GearWrench 85035 35 Pc MicroDriver Set - Amazon.com GearWrench 85035 35 Pc MicroDriver Set - Amazon.com
5. Loosen and remove the bolts.
6. Remove old seal from hinge case
7. Install new seals.
8. Hand tight the bolts in to waterproof.
9. My headpadding was just hanging so i used some double sided outdoor tape to tape it back to the ceiling.
10. I used existing double sided tape to reinstall headliner to sunroof -- with gray inside trim thingy, it holds perfectly fine.
11. Install gray inside trim.
12. Install *NEW* sunroof weatherstrip -- if yours is like mine, flat and no longer pushing against the sunroof. Replace it for ~$25. My old sunroof weatherstrip, it's flat despite gummi pfledge rubber care stick to try and rejuvenate:

By replacing weather stripping, it no longer sounds like wind is rushing by my head and water doesn't blow in at the car wash's dryer fan...

13. Install sunroof.

Great hour to two project with big results (leak proof, and noise reduced).

Last edited by RSR; 05-21-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:03 PM
RSR

I also found the rear sunroof drain hoses when washing/tightening my seatbelts and installing new quarter window weatherstripping.

With Xtra Cab panels rear and side panels removed, the rear drain hose is behind the front seatbelt retractor in this pic:

Looking at it through the hole beneath the speaker:

-Note all the dirt and crud in there. If north w/ salt, you'll prob find a bunch of rust too. I filled mine up/rinsed it out with a garden watering can, used windex to clean everything else in there out I could rinsed again, and then sprayed down w/ wd 40 for rust prevention. And then gave it a quick wipe the next day prior to reinstalling my seatbelts...

And last pic -- note that sunroof hose is supposed to go in that slot there. I removed from white hose clip, put in slot, and reinserted/adjusted the hose in the clip (unfortunately that clip is the only way to hold the hose in place -- trying to zip tie there would only expedite pushing the hose out I think) :

Last edited by RSR; 05-21-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:05 PM
FGZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very helpful thread! I need to attack mine - thanks for the write-up!
Old 03-26-2023, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know where i could get NEW rubber weatherstrip that is attached to removable sunroof on 1990 Toyota 4x4 Pickup DLX