Announcements Announcements and news by Staff to let the community know what we are up to at YotaTech

The YotaTech Wiki is alive

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 01:28 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Cool The YotaTech Wiki is alive

Several months back in a thread I started you asked for a Wiki here at YotaTech.

Our host (Scott) added a very nice Wiki Package for you.
This Wiki you can add your own technical articles to the 5 categories there that is setup the same as our current tech article section in the forum format.

You will have to host your own pictures, and I would suggest using www.photobucket.com as your host.
I can also host your pictures here if you send them to me, and I can create a folder on the server for you, then shoot you the URLs to the pics to use in your entry.

There is also an FAQ section already started for each model and rig, the only one that has content so far is the FJ Cruiser one which I have copied some material from a thread I already had up in the main forum.

There is a Help link on the main Wiki page, and also some content on how to get started creating your own.

You can change your template style in there too to make it easier to see links,
It is set on the default one in there now.

Also on the main homepage at www.yotatech.com is a little info at the top center of the page with the link to the main Wiki page.

The main Wiki page can be found at www.yotatech.com/wiki

I am new to this Wiki thing, but I taught myself a little on how to add stuff after I went to a link that you will see on the main page.

You will have to contact Staff to get an article added to the main pages table of contents.
Just remember to copy your URL to the article you create so we can get it put up.

If editing one of the FAQ sections, your text will show up for all to see.

We hope you enjoy YotaTechs latest addition to add to our already wide technical database here.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys this Wiki is awesome. I will be adding my Lube FAQ soon. (Shush - it is about Moly Grease n' stuff).
Old 05-22-2007, 06:36 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Molly + Lube = Banned.

Awesome addition, Corey and Scott. YotaTech continues to evolve and impress. Hopefully I'll have something worthwhile to add along the way.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you plan to control the accuracy of information posted? I come across a lot of opinion mistaken for fact.

If this is posted somewhere that I missed, please point me in the right direction.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:21 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Jim, you can not control the accuracy of an open Wiki.
When you see a mistake, then you edit it, after getting the correct facts.
You can also put up a thread in the site feedback area stating what you think is inaccurate and have an open debate on it so it can get edited.

That is what a Wiki is all about.
Wikis should be open for editing.
You can also contact Staff to look into any misinformation, but it is up to the membership to also judge if a change needs to be done.

This is how a true Wiki works from what I have been told.

Thanks Bob, we hope the Wiki will be a valuable resource here that all can partake in.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:19 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Corey, the first two paragraphs of your post (without 'Jim', ha) or something similar might be worth adding to the Disclaimer notice.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:01 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Jim, we have a new section here now that may also help.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f156/

When you are viewing any Wiki entry, there is a "Discussion" link in the article.
If you click it, it automatically enters a new thread by you into the above forum where the Wiki entry can be discussed further, and feedback given on it.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:57 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Skin talk

The default VB skin in the Wiki has the links at the top for new posts, home, ect, but the links are very hard to read for the table of contents and other links at the bottom.

I found a skin in there that works good for me, it is called Classic, and for the Quickbar, I am using the floating one for the left side.

I will have to experiment with different skins later.

I think I can add back some of the forum links at the top too when using a different skin via the admin control panel, I will experiment later.

I just added a new section called "Recovery Gear, Proper Use Of", so feel free to add text in there is so inclined to help teach others the proper use of the gear while off road.

Whoaaa, the Cologne Blue skin is even better.
It puts all of your links on the left too if using the floating quickbar.
Much better.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:06 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Warning, do not use the Nostalgia skin, it seems I can not get back to my prefs.
::::::::::::::::::
Fixed, wheeeeeew.
I used the other account I have here for putting up tech articles, and I accessed the wiki prefs for that account, and I copied that URL and pasted it back in when I relogged in as Corey.

I was then able to access my prefs and choose a new skin.
The Cologne one works very well, as all of the links show up readable.

You will not be able to access that Nostalgia skin like I did, it has been taken out of rotation to save you the same snafu I had.

All the other skins in there are safe to use.