Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Rust repair without welding

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rust repair without welding

I have a pickup bed that's in pretty good shape except for the lower skirt in front of the rear driver's side bed.

I don't have access to a welder, nor do I know how to do so, so welding isn't really an option at this point in time.

What's the best way to fix this? Here are my ideas:

1. Cut the rusted bottom corner section off and bend/shape a piece of sheet metal to get as close to stock look as possible and glue it on with something like this: http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...beQH8HT14PGTgl
That doesn't really take care of the rust that's in the seam between the rest of the bed side and the skirt and getting the shape right will not be easy for me.

2. Cut off the entire skirt, get all the rust out of the seam and glue a new skirt on there. I haven't been able to find a skirt for this, though. I'd like to do it this way, but I don't know where to find one in Central PA. Would a junkyard just send that skirt to me, you think?

3. Create some nasty, giant bondo/metal netting monstrosity. I'm not going to do this, but felt I should have at least three ideas up here.

4. Have a body shop repair it (I really don't want to do this as it goes against every fiber in my being and against the reason I bought this truck to begin with)

I thought about a fiberglass skirt, but nobody seems to just make the skirt, or a standard bed side for a 84 US body style.

I've learned a ton on this site already and I look forward to the feedback.

Russell
Old 12-26-2012, 12:00 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Pm member slacker, he's up in canada and makes fiberglass replacement panels.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:22 PM

I hit up Slacker initially. He doesn't sell the 84 US-style bed sides, nor just the skirts. And doesn't know anybody that does.

Thanks, though.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:43 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Just get a new fiberglass bed and be done with it. I have learned the hard way, you fix one section and it will rust in another...meaning you will always be fixing rust. What you will spend in time and money fixing will easilly get you a new fiberglass bed. Your lucky, you have B&G fiberglass right by you and they have a very high quality fiberglass beds.

I went with a new bed last year from them, had to ship from PA to WY, and could not be happier. I wil never worry about my rusty bed again.

Google will come up with their website and you can look through it. Be prepared to wait a coulple of month because they can customize your order and such.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:32 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

At this point you may as well wait till the winter is over.

Or just order your Fiberglass bed now and install it in the spring.

I would be more concerned with the fuel and brake lines the rusting of the bed is not going to cause as many interesting exciting things as a failed brake or fuel line.

You might be able to find a yard in the Southwest to ship you the parts you need but it wont be cheap.

Take some sheet metal and tin snips cut to the size you need screw or pop rivet .

The seam just clean prime and paint:wabbit2:
Old 12-27-2012, 05:32 AM

I can't afford to spend what it takes to buy a fiberglass bed or that's the route I'd take.
I will check out B&G Fiberglass, just to dream a little bit.

Actually, I just called them and they sell skins for the '84 US style beds. $290, per. Maybe I'll just get the left skin and replace that whole side. - Thanks for the info SnobDDS. - now, about that toothache I been havin'

It was a SW Colorado truck for the first 25 years of it's life, so the brake and fuel lines are fine. This one section where dirt and road grime was stuck under the plastic piece is really bad.

Last edited by Rusto; 12-27-2012 at 05:40 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:56 AM

Just found this place after doing some random searching in Yotatech:

http://www.alfaparts.net/toyotapu84.htm

Anybody have any experience with these? Maybe this will do the trick.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:15 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Trust me, there is only one solution as I noted above. If you fix that one section, then the section right next to it will rust. You will be just chasing your tail and wasting time and money in the long run. I know you have budget concerns, but fix it once right and it's cheaper in the long run. I live by the principle of...it's too expensive to be cheap.

I have use the alf parts to try and fix my issues and wish someone told me a long time ago to just go fiberglass. The seams don't match up and there is no way so seal the weld seam once there on. They lasted 2 years before they started to rust again...

So your back to where you started, expect your out the time and money on the first fix.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:00 PM

I'm leaning heavily towards the fiberglass bedside. At $290, I can take care of one whole side. The bed, inside and other bed side are good. This one is the worst with rust you see in the picture, a little over the tire, and some in the back seam.

It's a couple of projects away, but I hope to have a nice "Build Thread" started soon.

Thanks for input.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:15 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

as long as you keep off the road except for when they are dry you should be fine.

I made the mistake of not using the copper/nickle brake and fuel lines when they needed replaced. the regular steel lines lasted 2 winters till they failed inspection again.

Your bed looks better then my 2000 Tacoma one.

Good luck