Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

some people dont get it

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
some people dont get it

I'm fairly new to yotatech I own a 89 regular cab 22re 5spd. I live in upstate ny so the truck has some body rot but undercarriage is good frame is straight and it runs like a raped ape. Around here people think im crazy for putting money and work into this truck but that's why I bought it for a project, over the 6 months I've owned it I've changed the timing chain, cover, guides, clutch, fuel pump bracket, fuel pump. Currently fabing up some rocker guards and bumpers. The funny thing is that the same people that look at you like your crazy for having a old beat up truck are the same guys that are stuck on the side of the trail in their 40k new truck as I go putting by in my 1500 dollar beater
Old 12-13-2012, 11:45 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dont let it get you down, someone who goes and buys a new Jeep or PU and thinks it can go anywhere just because it is 4x4 is not going to get it. They are into it because they think it is cool to drive a truck and in 10 years will probably be driving a Prius.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:15 PM

Not everyone can afford to buy a $25,000 truck and build an offroad rig out of it. You have to compromise between modifications and vehicle. For me I look at it like I have a basicly a new truck but it is being built to my specifications. I have an 86 but so far it has an SAS 2 brand new/rebuilt axles with locking differentials, and a new engine that I was able modify to get more power. Some guys have UTV's others have a boat. Some guys have animals mounted on the wall in every room others have their very own arsenal over flowing a walk in safe room. Other guys make a trip to Tahoe to snowboard. We all do what we do and all of us have a list of reasons for it to be the way you should live. Enjoy your life and do what makes you happy. For me pleasing others and fitting the mold of what other people expect is not my idea of fun. You only live once.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:56 PM

For me I love the feeling of fixing something or fabing up something with my own hands it gives you that feeling of accomplishment anyone can go out and buy a jeep or pay a shop to trick out their ride. I'm happier sticking with my beat up yota
Old 12-13-2012, 01:05 PM

no car payments are a plus

Last edited by 85toy4runner; 12-30-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:42 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Don`t feel bad I hear the same thing all the time.

About the only work I don`t do is front end alignments and inspections but these newer techs always say " why do you keep this old POS time to junk it"

There is something about not having any debt!!
Old 12-14-2012, 05:31 AM

Lots of people don't get it. My favorite is "with all the money you spent on that truck you could have had a new truck!" your right, I could have. But then it owuld have been just like yours and hundreds of others in our town. Full size, a few extra chrome bits, window tint, aftermarket taillights on slightly bigger tires. No interest thanks!
Old 12-14-2012, 06:00 AM

I kinda get the oposite slams over my 3rd gen runner [I cant believe you take a nice rig like that a beat it up in the woods] I paid for it I fix it when it breaks dont worry so much about how I spend my money is all I have to say LOL.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:46 AM

I agree with all of the above. You can buy allot of parts and gas vs that car payment, insurance and taxes . I drive a 87 4runner that is presentable,doesn't leave oil spots , its reliable and suits my driving style . i just smile and put my savings into the bank !
Old 12-14-2012, 08:14 AM

Wait a minute so a steep truck payment,expensive insurance,chrome trim,altezza tail lights,projector headlights,and stick on hoodscoop/air vents ain't cool? Lol
Old 12-17-2012, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Russmoe
Wait a minute so a steep truck payment,expensive insurance,chrome trim,altezza tail lights,projector headlights,and stick on hoodscoop/air vents ain't cool? Lol
Don't forget the truck nutz
Old 12-22-2012, 06:44 PM

i used to get that all the time and then i converting my truck to 4wd (like every non toyota guy told me i couldnt do and it wouldnt work) and nobody has said anything to me about my 95 rust bucket i have actually gotten alot of complements about it and almost watched another guy in a 2wd toy get in a wreck cause he had his neck wrenched around looking at my truck needless to say i had a big ol **** eating grin

best quote ever but dont remember who said it "i know that i have a touch of crazy and that most people wouldnt bother with a truck like mine but, shes mine and if i want to waste my money of her thats my perogitive even if its folish." memorize that and tell everybody that gives you hell about it
Old 12-24-2012, 06:19 AM

Received 91 Likes on 71 Posts
I get just the opposite. People often drool over my 88 sitting on 35's with winch and armor.

You should see the Toyota sales men whenever I park at the dealership to pick up parts. It's funny to see them argue over the year. "Must be an 85, has a straight axle".

It gets a lot of attention at the emissions testing station when they get the mileage. 430xxx miles!

I'm originally from Buffalo. The rust belt. You should be proud of the fact you have a survivor. That says a lot about Toyota. Throw some chains on the tires and you'll really blow their minds when they see where your truck will still manage to go in all that snow.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Stu Pidasso
Other guys make a trip to Tahoe to snowboard.
Yea they do, and they think they own the place because their junk is nicer than mine however my truck seems to be their hero when they get stuck in 6in of snow in the Safeway parking lot
Old 12-24-2012, 09:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Totally agree with all of the above. after selling my old toyota pick up i debated with myself over and over trying to see what i would rather get. Get 1st gen 4runner/pickup OR get a new 2003+ tacoma. But I refused to be stuck with payments all over again after just paying off my DD corolla. So i went and bought myself my 1989 4runner for $1500 and ive put in TONS of new interior stuff, rebuilt the entire motor, In the process of installing power windows/mirrors and inclinometer. Im 1/2 way there in gathering parts to getting my SAS and 4" lift, lockers, and 4.88's. And so far I've only spent a total of approx. 7-8k(in upgrades and in buying the truck)
Give or take another 2k and i'll have an even more beautiful rig that can handle EVERYTHING I want to throw at it all for under $10,000.

....and the best part is that its a California RUST FREE VEHICHLE!!! Cant beat that!

For me, all of this is so much more worth it then buying a new truck for $15-26k and still have to spend all the extra $$$ on off road upgrades. IMO these old trucks will out last the new ones any day. BUILT TO LAST, None of that plastic crap that all the new trucks are made of now days!

Last edited by Redeth005; 12-24-2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:23 AM

I live in a place where we have what I call, "Prepnecks". These are southern men that are kind of like a redneck and preppy kid combined. The parking lot at my gym is filled with fullsize Chevy, Ram, and Ford trucks with 22" rims and Nitto tires. If you need to lift it, just add coil spacers or crank the torsion bars. Some people have SuperDuty trucks with large stacks in the bed. You will need some type of Ducks Unlimited or Browning logo on the back window, maybe a sticker saying Salt Life or .....Life to make sure people know you only like really cool stuff; next add some vent visor and obnoxious sounding 3" exhaust and you are set. If going for ultra high performance you will need a cold air intake and run your exhaust straight off the converters. I work at Advance Auto Parts a few days a week, and I specialize in selling the components of these high perfomance packages. Their idea of offroading is driving through mud puddles on the fire roads. Payments on these rigs run upwards of $500 a month not counting insurance.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by StewsRunner
Yea they do, and they think they own the place because their junk is nicer than mine however my truck seems to be their hero when they get stuck in 6in of snow in the Safeway parking lot
on that note one night I got a call from my buddy because his big ol lifted full size dodge 1500 got stuck in some pretty nasty mud, and he called me with my little 91 Toyota to pull him out, needless to say it wasn't a problem for my truck. that ain't the first time I've gotten a call to pull out a full size truck either! I do get a lot of compliments on my truck also. It's nice to hear a compliment even though it doesn't matter because I like my truck and am happy with no payment and occasional repair and maintenance.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:50 PM

"Prepnecks" lol that's awesome there are alot of those in my town. Just last night I had a run in with a "prepneck" in the mall parking lot during the snow storm, he was out doing or should I say attempting to do donuts in his lifted crew cab dodge while his poor girlfriend was in the cold filming it. So he slides into a snow bank gets stuck not too much traction with those low pros on 22's. So here comes the lil yota that could to pull him out. Even after I pulled him out he's still trying to convince me to how badass his truck is
Old 12-29-2012, 01:04 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

It is pretty funny that most of these new mall crawlers most of the owners would be hard pressed to put air in there own tires . But need the latest on board air.

Let alone know how to use that expensive winch hanging on the front of the truck.

I can only speak for myself but I own far more in tools then what there fancy trucks are worth without counting the big ticket items.

So don`t let it bother you no worries about payments or not making them and seeing the truck being rollbacked away.

The best comeback I have found of late is just to smile and shake my head as I walk away!!
Old 12-29-2012, 02:50 AM

wow.....groupthink

Quick Reply: some people dont get it