Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

poorly designed? or poorly installed? hose "?"

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
poorly designed? or poorly installed? hose "?"

hey all.

i just had this hose replaced by my mechanic when i was having an oil leak fixed. i have no idea what hose this is but am pretty sure coolant runs through it. it's the long hose with the hump and 90 degree bend in it with 3 hose clamps on the bottom (what is this hose, anyway?).

so, i heard a hiss like dripping water falling on a hot surface when i pulled my truck out to wash it this afternoon and found out this is leaking again. it appears to be leaking from the space between the main hose and the 3-inch extension.

i gave my mechanic a ring and asked him if this was jerry rigged or if it was the way it was supposed to be (long story short: so many things on my truck were jerry rigged by the previous owner that you just never know...). he said it was the way it was when they fixed it and that he'd seen others like that, that there was a piece inside to join the hoses, that this was the way he got the hose from toyota and that he'd seen others like it. he also mentioned that if they left off that 3-inch ext'n that the hose would be a little stretched. when i asked if i could just remove that piece and reattach the hose he kinda waffled on his answer and again mentioned it would be a little stretched.

i'm somewhat mechanically inclined - i've done a bunch of work under and inside of my runner, but generally leave all the engine work to my mechanic. i don't however, want to run it like this to take it back to my shop to fix it (even though i went wheeling this weekend with this leaky hose without knowing...). anyone have any suggestions or advice about what you would do? is this just a lame design by toyota or what?

i'm not sure if this is related, but since i got my oil leak and hoses fixed, my lovely () truck has been surging and revving high. yes, i have read through the billions of threads that point me to the tps, which i plan to spray down with throttle body cleaner in my first attempt to diagnose/fix. i was just wondering if anyone knows if this could possibly be related.

thanks in advance.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if thats a 22re its definatly not the way mine is set up, and i know for fact my truck is all original.

if you want i can send you pics of the hose setup on my engine, i hope i can help ya out!!
Old 06-08-2010, 07:42 AM

yeah, it's a 22RE. pics of yours would be awesome. a measurement of the hose would be great too if you have a chance.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:23 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Mine also has the hose then a connector then a hose running to the hearer core. IMHO it is a poorly designed hose. Let us know what you find out because I will be replacing mine in the future. I am back and forth about getting an OEM hose from the delear or just getting some heater hose and doing it my self.

By the way, how much was that hose from the dealer if you don't mine me asking?
Old 06-08-2010, 08:56 AM

It's just a hose. The truck won't know the difference if you use an OEM hose or go buy one at Pep Boys, change the design a little, or remove or replace a fitting. As long as it gets the coolant through it you'll be ok. The passage that the hose goes into may be a little blocked by rust or gunk and if it's building up pressure there, that may be why it's leaking out the hose so I'd recommend flushing your cooling system too. It definitely won't hurt.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by snobdds
*snip* I will be replacing mine in the future. I am back and forth about getting an OEM hose from the delear or just getting some heater hose and doing it my self.

By the way, how much was that hose from the dealer if you don't mine me asking?
The hose was something like $50 at the stealership. I'd say just pick up a length of hose from your local parts dealer. I don't generally get parts from the stealer unless the only replacement I can find is made in China, but that's just me. This one was an exception because my mechanic was in there doing some other work and that's where he gets parts.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by brian2sun
The passage that the hose goes into may be a little blocked by rust or gunk and if it's building up pressure there, that may be why it's leaking out the hose so I'd recommend flushing your cooling system too. It definitely won't hurt.
Good call. The part the hose goes to is a little rusty. And it was leaking before... I've got coolant, maybe I'll flush it and see if that works. Would you recommend using one of those chemical flushes to get all the gunk out? I can't see a drain/rinse/fill getting enough gunk out if that's what's causing my issue.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:37 AM

A professional pressurized flush would probably be the best. You could try running it on the garden hose first. Just be sure you drain all the water out when your done and fill it back up with the proper coolant/water mixture.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:44 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
It is not really a "poor" design persay. Its an "early" design.

When toyota made some changes to the 22RE in the 90's, they redesigned that hose into a one piece unit. If you want to eliminate the problems, call Toyota and ask for that hose from a 95 4x4 Truck with a 22RE. It makes it a one piece hose requiring only one hose clamp.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:50 AM

coolant hoses are coolant hoses.

Pretty much every engine setup I've seen has 4 coolant hoses an in and out to the radiator, and an in and out to the heater core (which usually has it's nipples poking though the firewall).

it doesn't matter what you use as long as
-it has the proper diameter for good flow and the right size for where it's attaching
-it can withstand the heat

you can buy heater hose by the foot at Napa or other parts stores for less than $1 a foot. you can also get plastic heat resistant adapters for bends and straight through connectors.

3rd party OEM fit replacements should work fine as well.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by twistedsymphony
(which usually has it's nipples poking though the firewall).
I'm way too immature to let that one go with out saying something.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:16 PM

a bit more inspection led me to find yet another leaky heater/coolant hose. ugh.

guess i'm off to the parts store to get another hose. guess it's a good time to get that last ball joint i've been putting off replacing.

i think i'll just remove that connector while i have the coolant out anyway and just replace the hose without it. it seems to be plenty long enough to just bypass that. if it doesn't work out well, i'll get that older model hose from the stealer (thanks cougar) and keep this one on hand as a spare. i hate spending money for nothing.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by brian2sun
I'm way too immature to let that one go with out saying something.
the appropriate response would have been... "that's hot"
Old 06-17-2010, 01:16 PM

Conclusion: Factory Design Issue

I just thought I'd post a conclusion to this thread in case anyone else had the same issue.

The small connector does not need to be on that length of heater hose. The hose is not stretched without it and it clearly has a tendency to leak from that point. It's not really necessary to get a longer hose (thanks Cougar) but that's definitely an option for someone who feels the length of the hose for an 88 without the connector is just not long enough.

I removed that small extra length of hose, replaced the clamp on the upper hose that was also leaking and took her out wheeling this past weekend. She ran like a champ and is yet to show any signs of leaking again (though I did keep an extra length of hose and a few clamps in the truck just in case).

Cheerio! And thanks for everyone's help.