Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Newbie needs help

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie needs help

Hey man, I'm new to the forums but since it started tearing down my engine it's been my best friend. but Im stuck on something really lame, since it looks like you just pulled you block mabye you can help...

so i have the head off, everything detached and i was about to lift out the block but realized i forgot the a tranny bolt right behind the starter, in front of where the hydrolic clutch goes into the tranny, I've spent a few houres on this bolt trying to get it out. it's just really hard to get to, i feel I've tried everyting to get it but it's just not happeneing, what did you do, any special trick. I just dont wanna drop the tranny for one bolt. any help.

Oh, I have a 88 22re that im about to rebuild. are you going rebuild yours? what kit are ya gonna use if so?
Old 07-27-2010, 12:32 PM

Rbinder...more leverage, its the only way. In the future, loosen all the bolts a little then go around and pull them all the way out. That way the last bolt doesn't get loaded so much making it tough to get turning. You might be able to throw a couple back in near there to relieve some of the pressure on it.

As far as the rebuild kit...lots of reading, its the only way. There are lots of options, it all depends on what you expect from it when finished.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:00 AM

Ok one more quick question guys, last night when I tried to start it the engine started sucking air from the radiator....what would cause that? Cracked head/cracked manifold etc.....any suggestions.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:21 AM

Well the bad news is your gonna have to tear it back down. If you have filled it with collant, drain it, pull all four plugs and crank it over to purge any water from the cylinders before you mess with it anymore. If its sucking hard enough for you to notice it, something is VERY wrong. Which means its drawing in a lot of coolant as well. Also, if its sucking, it should also be blowing. Set a piece of paper over the opening of the radiator, it should flutter as air enters and leaves. Only suction seems odd. I've had head gaskets blow so badly that I could empty the cooling system through the exhaust pipe inside 30 mins idling in the driveway...even then there wasn't a noticable suction at the radiator. I'd be worried about enough water entering the combution chamber that hydrolocking the engine becomes a threat as with that large of a leak coolant is probably able to flow freely into the cylinder, then when you crank it over the water doesn't have anywhere to go and one of two things will happen, it immediately stops, or something breaks in a big way.

Your sure the gasket was placed properly / wasn't damaged at all when you put the head on? Otherwise, I would think the only way that could happen is if the head or block is severely cracked. Do a compression check to find the bad cylinder(s)...are they they the same ones the gasket blew on? I don't think there is any way to get around tearing the engine back down though, that's a pretty serious leak and the only place I can think an engine can fail causing it is at the combustion chamber.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:30 AM

I agree with a7mgte, I asked my yota mechanic and he said it's gotta be something crazy wrong, it could be the head gasket but less likley. it's gotta be a crack.

oh and a7mgte... bout my engine, I had tried that last night, put a coupple motor mounts back in and a few tranny bolts.. had 3 ppl give it a go. it's just not gonna happen. my mechanic is gonna bring an impact wrench over to get it out.
as far as the rebuild kit.. I really dont know what I expect, I just want it to function as a good driver and so I can go play in the dirt in the mountians, IM IN OREGON MAN, its what we do. but I dont think im going to rebuild it now, I just got another complete 22re for 100 bucks running 185 compression across the board. so i have an extra 700 or so to put into it. any ideas on what I could mod or add to give it some extra awsomeness?
Old 07-28-2010, 08:59 AM

Rbinder...we're sorta of crossing up this thread now.

I don't know what year your motor is, but I understand there is an intake plenum / throttle body swap that can be done from the newer 22re's that'll buy you a little power because they have a larger intake diameter and is a direct bolt on swap. Port matching as much of the intake as you can will help a little bit also, deffinately get a K&N air filter. High flower exhaust...basically make it as easy as possible for that engine to breathe as you can is your best bet for buying touque. After that you can move onto things like camshafts and engine internals if you wanna spend the time / money. Ultimately the 22re motors never make lots of power though. I'd just look into the plenum / throttle body a good air filter maybe a header and leave the rest stock. Spend the rest of your money elsewhere...tires, CB, bumpers, etc... If you want much real power look into an engine swap like the 7M, it bolts in with all toyota parts, makes roughly twice the power, (although if feels like 3 or 4x's as much) and gets signifigantly better milage at the same time.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:44 AM

ya... thanks alot, I'll quit crossin the thread, I'll be able to start my own soon, im a new to the forum so I'll be able to start my own soon.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:33 PM

Its just good to keep things somewhat on topic so its easier for everyone to stay up to speed with things. Your sticky bolt and performance updgrades just don't have much in common with a / his head gaket problem, know what I mean? Anyone subscribed to a thread get notified everytime there is a new post to it, so in technical discussions its best to stay on topic for the most part. Not a big deal really...but also helps to keep the thread clean and easy to follow when read days, weeks, or years from now by someone with the same / similar problem.

You should be able to start your own threads...I could immediately after creating my account. Look in the box at the lower left of the screen that says "posting rules" it'll say what your allowed to do.

...like this message for instance, probably should have been a private message. But hey, I'm new here too and know not everyone knows everything...that is why we are here in the first place. The more information we share with each other the better off we all are.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:18 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Moved to a new thread. Please ask questions via PM instead of hijacking someone elses thread and then only after searching.

Thanks for your cooperation and welcome to Yotatech.