Newbie Modification Information

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 03:49 PM
JFW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haha! No thanks, I'll be ok.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:57 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
No problem. I'm here to help though. So if your kidneys can't take it let me know. Haha
Old 12-07-2013, 04:03 PM
JFW

Ha, ok. Surprisingly, my kidneys are in great shape. Despite my Navy days.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JFW
Yeah, I knew the ride would be rough given it's a light truck and solid axle but this thing is ridiculous!

I hear ya, I'm not expecting a Cadillac ride or anything. Just don't want to rattle and bang the truck apart.

I've heard good things about the RUF and Chevies setup. What do you mean by a hybrid pack or stock and lift rears? Also, are there different versions of 63" Chevies you can use depending on how much lift you want?

My main reason for wanting to keep the 3" of lift is for crossover steering. Is there any way to get similar steering results with other steering mods and less lift? I haven't been able to find anything. I'd probably just do an OME setup without a second thought if I could improve the steering another way.
The RUF will give you enough lift to clear the cross over steering. If you are going to change the suspension, I think it is worth lifting the truck. No sense doing things twice.

The hybrid pack is taking leaves from a lift pack, like the one you have, which are usually a little stiffer (in your case probably a lot), and mixing them with softer stock springs. You need a stiffer pack up front than the stock rear spring pack because of the increased weight, but the stock springs will give you a better ride. Mixing and matching leaves will give you the ability to crudely tune your ride, flex and height. Its not like coilovers, but its better than nothing.

I totally understand not wanting to rattle apart. I've heard lots of complaints about those springs that you have, so its no surprise you are unhappy. OME may be another option. Don't know how all that works.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:20 PM
JFW

Ok. Sounds like it's worth looking into. Probably not too hard to find a set of stock springs someone doesn't want, either.

Yeah, I found a thread over on Ih8mud by a guy that did a complete OME lift setup. From the sound of it, it gives you closer to 4 inches of lift than the stated 2-2.5. I'm guessing that's because of the shackles? I'm waiting to hear back from him if he has enough clearance for cross over steering. If that's the case then that's probably the way I'll go. The OME stuff uses the stock locations, so I can most likely do everything myself. No welding. That same guy did a front and rear TRD e-locker install that looks pretty tits. I don't know d!$K about lockers though, so I'll have to start researching all that. No rush though, I still need to learn all the basics.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:40 PM

what model header fits the 22r 1985 pickup any but the pacemaker
Old 05-05-2014, 08:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Doug thorley headers fit, and most of them are Cal smog approved
Old 05-11-2014, 07:17 PM

inverted shackles

I have a 87 4runner that came with 4" blocks in the back. I just replaced with skyjacker leaf spring 4- 6" lift soft ride and now I have the problem of my shackles inverting. I am currently using stock shackles. Do I need longer ones or need to move the shackle mount in? Please help.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Birdy
I have a 87 4runner that came with 4" blocks in the back. I just replaced with skyjacker leaf spring 4- 6" lift soft ride and now I have the problem of my shackles inverting. I am currently using stock shackles. Do I need longer ones or need to move the shackle mount in? Please help.
Shackles inverting? You don't want to move it back. What does skyjacker say? I'm thinking you have too short a spring, maybe they sent you the wrong ones?

Can you take a picture and post up whats going on?
Old 06-20-2014, 10:38 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Aloha from Hawaii, I'm a newbie here. Great advice and info, thanks very much!

DC
Old 06-02-2015, 08:58 PM

for all of you asking what a pinch weld is, well if you look at an older vehicle, its where two peices if metal, the outer and inner body panels, are welded together and that peice is kind of sticking out. from what I gather, the way to fix this is to fold tha weld point towards the center of the truck your driving and lightly bang it in so you don't really do much damage to the outer bofy panels or distort them. This is what is just what I understand from all the reading I've done one the forums the past 2 weeks, with me becoming a member 2 or 3 weeks ago I've read ALOT of these forums so I hope I'm right in what I'm stating and if I'm wrong I'm sure someone thats been here quite a bit longer will correct me in what I've said. Again I hope this helps.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:57 PM

Succinct and informative! Thanks for making it short and sweet!
Old 08-29-2015, 05:50 PM

I have searched and can't seem to find a thread for compatibility, like for swapping parts off of other yota's for stock upgrades that can be found in junkyards. I know we (2nd gen owners) can use the fj80 rear coils, and mod our rear diff housings for the 3rdgen e locker.. but that can't be it.. can it?
Old 10-24-2015, 07:01 AM

So I'm a newbie and I'm tackling my first project. The issue is that I did start with suspension first and foremost. I'm trying to install the Rancho Add A Leaf. I've gotten the rig up, u bolts and plates off, and discovered that right in the middle of the bottom plate, I'm now leaking differential fluid and it seems like there is a small hole right there. NO IDEA what to do next. Everything I've thought of is that hopefully a patch can be welded on or do I really need to replace the whole axle. I certainly signed up for more than I thought.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:28 PM

wow this thread opened my eyes lol. i also did a suspension lift first not knowing that i should do the drivetrain. Ive got a 94 pickup 4by4 with a 4in lift. I dont even know what drivetrain is the best and where to get it. Could you please help me out? thanks
Old 09-03-2021, 07:19 AM

First Post!! Will this gear set and diff. work on my rig?

Hello all. I'm fairly new to the off road world, although we've had an FJ in the family for 10 years and I used to wrench on hot rods. Thanks for the newbie section and the stickies.

I just got a '93 SR5. It is completely stock still. Decoding the VIN tells me it is a 4 pinion 8" V6 carrier with 4.56 gears. The pumpkin has four external "struts" on it. It still has the factory 31" tire size and a 5MT (0.84) overdrive ratio. This is more of a daily driver than a backcountry rig for me, at least for now and the high rpms on the highway are wearing on me. It feels like the engine is screaming to drive 70 mph. Having a low speed transfer case, I'm not worried about having enough gear when going off road. So I'm thinking about a new gear set for the rear to get the engine speed down on the highway. It appears that the tallest gear I can install without changing the diff. is a 4.10.

So I figured while I'm having surgery done on the rear diff, why not have a LSD installed at the same time, improve off road chops and let me have a slightly taller gear. My understanding is that these trucks did not get limited slip from the factory until much later into the Tacoma years. Using the Diff Wizard app, I found a 3.73 gear set and a LSD from Yukon (see screen shot below). Would this swap work for me? What other questions do I need to ask?

Two diffs and gear set from Yukon

Thanks for your help! Dave