Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Need info to repack bearings and do brakes on 1 ton full floating rear axle & wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 12:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need info to repack bearings and do brakes on 1 ton full floating rear axle & wheels

Hi,

I'm in the process of swapping rear axles between two Toyota Sunrader motorhomes. Why? Because my donor motorhome (83) has a 1 ton full floating rear axle with duallys (6 lug) that I'm going to put on my keeper Toyota motorhome (82) that has a 1/2 ton axle with what some call "fake duallys (5 lug)."

I'm not a mechanic but my budget forces me to do the work myself (or most of it), and assuming its not too difficult, I want to learn how to do stuff like brakes and repacking bearings, etc. myself.

So far I have removed the 1 ton axle from the donor and I'm almost ready to remove the 1/2 ton axle from the keeper.

I need to figure out how to do the following and would appreciate it if you can tell me where I can find step-by-step videos and/or articles geared towards beginners for the following please...

1) How to take apart the rear wheels for both the 1 ton and the 1/2 ton so I can disconnect the parking brake cables?

2) How to repack bearings on the 1 ton axle and anything else that will need grease?

3) How to know if the brake linings need replacing on the 1 ton wheels and how to replace them?

4) Anything else you can think of that I need to do when swapping these two axles. (I'm not going to do any work on the 1/2 axle and wheels except to move it over to the donor motorhome so I can sell it later for parts)

Thanks very much! :-)

Steve
Attached Thumbnails Need info to repack bearings and do brakes on 1 ton full floating rear axle & wheels-both-.jpg   Need info to repack bearings and do brakes on 1 ton full floating rear axle & wheels-1-ton-toy-axle-kit-toyota.jpg  

Last edited by magentawave; 04-25-2013 at 01:01 PM. Reason: trying to add photo but it keeps saying I already add it and I did not!
Old 04-25-2013, 10:52 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Remove the wheels

pull the axle

remove the bearing retainer nuts I can`t remember what size socket get the correct one. I am not sure if it is the same as the front or not!!

remove the bearing look for any damage feel if it has to much play.

Now you can remove the brake drum being your new to this your no doubt going to need to replace the seal.

You have it all apart might just want to install new lining and wheel cylinders . That is your call I would then know I would not have to mess with it for a long time.

Make sure the self adjusters are free and work like the should:jessica::jessica::jessica:

If the drums are really worn turn at least .

Can new drums still be had??

packing wheel bearings is pretty simple

With the correct grease put the grease in the palm of you hand and with the larger side of the bearing going into the grease.

Work the grease into the bearing till it is forced out the smaller end .

this is the area between the rollers and the inner race.

i know there are pictures someplace on here.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks man but I need photos or videos. Your stuff will help along with photos and videos though. :-)
Old 08-19-2014, 06:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
generic toyota full floating axle repair instructions -Dully set-up

for repair changing outer bearings , seals, and bearing retaining ring as well how to remove drums for working on the brakes
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Dully_Rear_End_Overhaul.pdf (171.5 KB, 708 views)