Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Headers 22re

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
personally, i dont think i will ever buy from trail gear. i have quite a few buddies with quite a few parts from tg, and they all say they wish they didnt buy it. as the saying goes, you get what you pay for. just my $.02
Old 02-19-2011, 12:06 AM

I need to check spelling before I post haha
Old 02-25-2011, 02:40 PM

I have a 1986 toyota 4runner 22re 5 speed... I can buy a doug thorley header 542y without o2 senser and I need one, but the price is 265.00 new and complete..I would have to have an o2 senser put in...Do u guys think its worth it? Or does it sound like a headache?
Old 02-26-2011, 05:51 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by mightymouse
Suprised no one mentioned trail gear and their header. http://www.trail-gear.com/performance-parts

Originally Posted by 2DoorRunner
x2. I have always wondered about these. Not for myself, but if there was a reason why not many people use them.
Originally Posted by 8784 runner
My 84 runner has 137k on it with a 22r. I did nothing to but rebuilt the carb and put on trail gears headers with a magnaflow muffler. For being bone stock motor it pushes my 35's extremly well with 5:29 in the axels. With the tire and gear combo it really didnt mess with the speedo to much going off what my GPS says.
I just sent this guy a PM, he's the only one I've seen mention running one. I am also curious.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:21 AM

NWOR makes a header with the bung for an optional o2 sensor. You have to drill into the pipe in order to use a sensor. They are not as pretty as LCE but a good option.

I like NWOR for the 4-2-1 design and the 1/2" thick flange
I didnt like NWOR bc they did not weld on both sides of the flange

I like LCE for the welding and finish are high quality
I didnt like LCE for the 4-1 design and the fit on my truck was way tight
Old 02-26-2011, 09:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
xxxtreme22r asked me to put this up. My 84 runner has 137k on it with a 22r. I did nothing to but rebuilt the carb and put on trail gears headers with a magnaflow muffler. For being bone stock motor it pushes my 35's extremly well with 5:29 in the axels. With the tire and gear combo it really didnt mess with the speedo to much going off what my GPS says.
However if you buy them for the 22r thier is an adapter that you will half to purchase from LC if you wish to keep the EGR system hooked which I did. My egr flange was on top of the header tubes (not on the flange that bolts to the head). The adapter I bought bolts to the head ontop the exhaust flange and then bends at a 90 for the egr tube to bolt to. I will try and get pictures up this weekend. The headers look really good and Ive had a couple people comment on them cause you can see them through my shock hoop. 2 things I did not like when I put them on. The heat shield has to be removed off the frame. It serves no purpose but to help block the brake line from a little bit of heat. Once you take the heatshield off you have about 1/8th inch of clearence between the frame if that. Sitting is fine but it looks to me as if they will rub pending on motor rpms and how hard its getting beat up in a trail. The best I can tell it's the exact same header that LC sells so don't think just cause it's from lcengineering it's gonna have better performance. It's the same kit
Old 02-26-2011, 09:08 AM

also i forgot to mention i have pacesetter headers on my 95 with the 22re. they bolt right in without removing the heat shield. I would say they are a good contender for the price
Old 02-27-2011, 04:19 PM

Name:  DSC00219.jpg
Views: 3930
Size:  146.4 KB
Name:  DSC00211.jpg
Views: 3309
Size:  92.8 KB
Name:  DSC00209.jpg
Views: 3486
Size:  213.3 KB
Here are the pics. You can see the gap or lack thier of between the pipes and header. Also the one pic shows the adapter I bought from LC to use my original EGR tube with the header. Runs great but I'am seriously of yanking the 22r out and droping the 3rz-fe 2.7 in with a low boost turbo.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:42 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
if you do, don't trash that engine, sell it. those pre-85 engines are getting hard to come by. Good base for the hybrid motor.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:26 PM

Do u think the 3rz-fe 2.7 would get better gas mileage?
Old 02-28-2011, 02:57 PM

I absolutely hate the pacesetter in my truck. Paint chipped off within a week of putting it in and i've have had an exhaust leak ever since installing it. It has really poor fitment too.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:39 PM

My pickup had pasesetters in the truck when I got it. So the finish was already gone. But I do remember them being a little difficult seal up with the head but after the 2nd try I got it.
The 3rz I would think so. But even not oh well. If I can pull my self up a hill with no promblem I'm happy. It seems to me as maybe one of the eaisier swaps to do. Closing on a house I just bought is in march once I do and get situated I'm thinking this summer/fall a 3rz is going in my runner. I would like to put a turbo on it but I heard some things about needing to upgrade the fuel system to handle the boost on the motor. Which is another grand-1500. Makes me second guess it if it comes to be true.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:44 PM

heat69, here is a pretty informative link on 3rz swaps if your intrested. In a thread bigmike says he gets 18-20 with 5:29's doing 65 highway.

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=13826.0
Old 03-05-2013, 07:20 AM
Contributing Member

Reviving an old thread...

When I bought the truck, the PO ripped all of the smog parts out and capped them off. I had to go through and put them all back. This included an old Pacesetter header that was not legal as it didn't carry a CARB number for California emissions. So, I ended up taking that off and buy a new legal header.

I ended up purchasing a Rock Ripper 50 state legal header from Trail Gear. Fitment was pretty simple, we did have to remove a heat shield to get it in there though. After installation, and installing all of the vacuum lines and misc emissions parts, it was time for smog.

Upon opening up the hood, the smog inspector immediately failed me due to the TG header not having any identifying part of CARB info on it. I pointed to the sticker supplied by TG and the inspector said that didn't matter, how did he know I didn't make the sticker myself? Fail. I tried another smog station, and another and another... same thing. Each time my rig failed visual inspection.

After 2 months of trying smog stations, even ones who are "more relaxed" than other and still failing, one smog station suggested I go to a state funded smog program called a Referee. You can only go to them if you are having trouble smogging your vehicle. Their service is free of charge (finally, my taxes at work where I get to take advantage) and they will coach you through each step of the process of getting your vehicle to pass smog. The Referee did an inspection and as soon as he couldn't find any identifying marks on the header, I knew I was screwed. However, instead of failing me right off the bat, he took the time to compare the EO number on the sticker with EO number housed at the CA Air Resource Board. He also compared the header design to the one shown on TG's website. Everything seemed ok, until he checked the part numbers that TG submitted for the EO number on the CA Air Resource Board's website, the part number DID NOT include the word 4Runner... fail again.

The way it works is a company has to submit to the Air Resource Board what vehicles the emissions part is used for. They include the years as well as engine and models of vehicle. Even though Trail Gear specifically says on their website that this header is for a 1985 4Runner, the parts shown on the Air Resource Board website does not say 4Runner it only says 1985 22RE pickup. Even though the part is the same and the engine is the same, it does not say 4Runner so it can't be passed by the Referee.

So, I called up TG and spoke to their "header guy" Nick. He said the headers are the EXACT same design as Downey... they purchased the design when Downey closed its doors back in 2010 or whenever it was. The header for the 50 state legal is also EXACTLY THE SAME as their normal header (not CA legal). The difference in price for the CA legal header is the sticker with an EO number. That's it. He said that if I wanted to, just send it back and they will refund me my money. I thought this was cool since it's been on my rig for like 4 months now (even though it only has about 50 miles on it). The problem is, that not too many people make a decent header for a 1985 4Runner...

I'm struggling with what to do. Everything else passed emissions on my vehicle, except the header... do I go back to stock, try a new header, keep the TG one and find someone who will pass me? Who knows...
Old 04-23-2014, 05:40 AM

Little off the subject but I bought a 1971 Opel GT equipted with 1986 22re engine. Homade headers shot. Anyone have info on a header that might fit. Minimal clearance between engine and side firewall 3 1/4 inches so need a header with narrow drop. Any help appreciated