Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Extreme Long Wheelbase & 6 wheel drive

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 05:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Extreme Long Wheelbase & 6 wheel drive

This is an odd-ball question. I don't do a lot of 4 wheeling, though I've read a bit on peoples preferences and experience.

Anyway, I'm considering a modification to a vehicle that I have. It currently has a ~166" wheelbase (center of front axle to mid-point of tandem rear axles (tandem rear axles, driving the 1st rear axle only.)

Needless to say, it can get stuck fairly easily. (a common characteristic of tag-axle vehicles)

So, If I was to increase the wheelbase a bit more (say, to ~ 180"), and convert the front axle to a drive-axle as well (via Solid Axle Swap) and install a stock Trans/Transfer Case/Steering setup (this is a 1980 model), what sort of characteristics would you all expect (typical gravel, off-road, and extreme trails).

Also, if I were to make the second rear axle a live axle (ie, powered), would I expect to gain anything?

As for the Why of such a long wheelbase, this rig was built so I could haul a stock-length toyota pick-up (or comparable size/weight vehicle) completely on the bed. Call it 1 1/2 Ton toyota, if you will.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doooo wwwhhhhhhaaaattttt?
Old 06-15-2013, 06:20 PM

^^^ what he said. Pics or Im going to post all over twitter that troyjmueller is a big fat dirty liar. you will be ruined forever...
Old 06-16-2013, 12:07 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

it would be so very much work.

i would have no idea where one would find a front rear for the tandem small enough to fit your truck.

What your after is a Toyota version of a 6x6 I don`t know do they make this vehicle just not import to the USA.

With enough money it could all be custom built i would think $ 50,000 should get you started . Then with no off the shelf parts it could take a while to have parts made.

Just the size of the vehicle would make it a pain to get around in.

Just what is you end goal here??

A off road recovery vehicle .

Just what are you going to use to power this??

Then working with a frame that old your going to have lots of fatigue issues you would be better off starting from the ground up.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:18 AM

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f197...omized-254130/

I already have the rig. It's been customized, frame extended (behind original), matched 4:10 7.5" axles, 4 spring / 4 bar rear suspension.

I have the parts - Front, rear, trans, transfer case, drive-lines, etc.

Just trying to decide whether to go with a straightforward Solid Axle Swap, & 4wd conversion, or the same with a ~ 8" - ~24" Stretch between the cab and the (custom) 14' x 6 1/2' bed., and what I might expect, 4wd capability wise. The least I would expect is the added ability to pull itself out of getting stuck, if I manage to not have enough weight transfered to the drive (front rear axle), or I am on a surface condusive to spinning the tires (ie, wet grass, gravel, mud, etc. This is a personal project, and work-horse.

The Tag axle would be part-time electric drive (planned upgrade), for short hops and additional oomph (in the case of getting stuck).

I could make it 10 wheel drive, if I put duallies on both back axles. That'd definitly make it un-usual, but I'm not sure if it'd handle light 4wd trails, fields, etc. let alone the heavy-duty ones. Something about a looooong ~ 170" wheelbase, turning radius, and getting high-centered...
Old 06-16-2013, 07:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
solid axle swap, and carry tire chains... if you get stuck with tire chains... no extra axle is gonna help....

ETA: Sweet rig btw... Its loooooong tho, so its not gonna handle great off road no matter what ya do....

Last edited by Team420; 06-16-2013 at 07:48 AM.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:26 AM

Ohh now I get it its a wreaker. I think the dually idea is good especially if you going to do a sas cause the sfa will lift it up a bit and the dually rears would widen the wheel base and make it a lil more stable
Old 06-16-2013, 11:17 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I can only think because of the length it will be a real pain to get around.

it is a toy keeps you from spending money on other things so go for it.

I would think about a locker in the front end that way you would have two wheels pulling up front .

I think the electric motor drive rear is interesting but think it will be little gain for the expense but I really love to be proved wrong!!
Old 06-17-2013, 08:26 PM

It's actually not that bad - on the roads. Handles decent. I parked it, though, because it has a slight problem pulling itself out of it's own tracks if there's any opportunity to slip the drive wheels.

NOT a good winter driver.

Twin screw, would be probably be ok. I've got stuck once or twice, easy fix (to get un-stuck) was to take off the back tires, so the tag axle was 'floating'. Traction regained, problem solved. Bit of a PITA, though.