Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Daily Driver/Weekend mud A/T Tire Recommendations

Old 10-29-2010, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Daily Driver/Weekend mud A/T Tire Recommendations

I hate to ask the question, but a search didnt really reveal any true answers.

I orginally was looking at the Toyo Open Country A/T, members saying they are a great tire. However, later threads and comments did a 180 stating they wear fast, etc.

Well I guess I better give the requirements or how the truck will be used...

My truck is a 97 Limited at stock height and is a daily driver. It will mostly be used on the street. Secondly, on some of my days off (maybe 3x a month) I will be taking the truck off the street on to farm roads that become muddy.

Third, I want a tire that has AWESOME tread wear.

I would also like to hear some facts about your personal experience: ie tread, driving habits, terrain, etc
Old 10-29-2010, 03:33 AM

I've run BFG AT's and currently have Nitto TG's.

You will not find a A/T that last longer than the BFG's. 60-80k easy if you rotate regularly and keep the truck aligned. I used them in the Big Bear, CA area for a year in mud/snow/sand and was impressed all around.

I've only had the TG's for about 15k (little signs of wear) and ran them last winter during snowmageddon in western maryland and they are a pretty damn good snow tire. I've only had them in the mud a few times and they do ok.

I like the the TG's better on the road so I will most likely stick with them unless something comes along that grabs my attention.

Good Luck!
Old 10-29-2010, 06:18 AM

I have run many diffrent tires on my rigs, but the tires that I currently have, the Hankook dynapro m/t have blown them all away. I have put twenty five thousand miles and can hardly tell any wear on them, they ride smooth and the road noise is minimal. I actually got to run them in snow last year which is weird for Texas, they worked great off road in the snow and was passing all the cars on the road that weren't prepared for snow. They perform great in rain, mud, sand, anything I have thrown at them. The one big difference between the BJG all terrains I had on them and The hankooks is that when I run through a decent size puddle of water, the hankooks shed the water off to the side and don't push the water forward and throw it on the windshield like the BFGs.
The Hankooks aren't cheap but I found a great deal on e-bay and had them shipped to my house for about six bills. My friend is running the Hankook all terrains on his ford, and is very pleased with those also. I have heard great things about nitto also, an other friend has these and they preform great.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:46 PM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
my buddy has dynopro at-m's and there one of the best multi purpose tires ive ever seen. there real smooth and quite on the road and prove there worth in mud and snow.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...yp=Truck%2FSUV
Old 10-29-2010, 01:20 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
BFG A/T FTW!!!

I have around 30k on my set, might get another 5k out of them, not light driving by any means
Old 10-29-2010, 02:03 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I run Cooper Discoverer S/T and they have a little over 25k on them, with around 50-60% tread left.
Pretty aggressive AT that does well in mud, sand, and some slick rocks.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:22 PM

i plan on gettin the wrangler duratracs, check those out.. theyre not labeled as an A/T but theyre not labeled as an M/T either, more of an in-between, but i havent heard much about tread wear, they look fairly aggressive enough for just about anything though..
Old 10-30-2010, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by hunter 4321
I have run many diffrent tires on my rigs, but the tires that I currently have, the Hankook dynapro m/t have blown them all away. I have put twenty five thousand miles and can hardly tell any wear on them, they ride smooth and the road noise is minimal.

My friend is running the Hankook all terrains on his ford, and is very pleased with those also. I have heard great things about nitto also, an other friend has these and they preform great.
Can I get the last three #s for the MTs? I want to make sure I'm looking at the correct tire. I hope I'm done with the snow. I live in south texas, where it only gets in the 40s for winter.

I'm not quite sure if I should worry about rain. Its mostly dry down here, but we do have a wet season...

Originally Posted by bobby_duce
my buddy has dynopro at-m's and there one of the best multi purpose tires ive ever seen. there real smooth and quite on the road and prove there worth in mud and snow.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...yp=Truck%2FSUV
That tire has caught my eye. I like it. The ATM I guess stands for all terrain mud??? Do you know how they're wearing? Mileage?

Originally Posted by erock13
i plan on gettin the wrangler duratracs, check those out.. theyre not labeled as an A/T but theyre not labeled as an M/T either, more of an in-between, but i havent heard much about tread wear, they look fairly aggressive enough for just about anything though..

I'll look in to them
------------

Thanks for the help! Does anyone know how Discount Tire does their warranty? Is it pro-rated or wear them out in.... lets say you wear out a 50,000 tire in 30,000 miles do they just give you a new set?

As it sits now, I'm looking at:
Hankook ATM
Kumho KL78
BFG A/T.... but the wet weather tread has me on edge.
Nitto TG... but I want to research them a little more.

^^^^^
This list will change as time goes by.

Keep'em coming guys

Last edited by etc.; 10-30-2010 at 05:23 AM.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:14 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Ive got the Cooper Discoverer STT on my Toyota,
Its a fairly light truck.
Ive got right at 10,000 miles on them, and you can barely tell that they are worn at all.
Out of all of the time ive had them, ive been stuck once... (NEVER try to follow 44" bogger ruts with 33's...Bad things happen to good people) And i still say if i would of had Posi traction i would have crawled right out, two tires on the ground sucks.
ANYWAYS...
Cooper Discoverer stt's, Really aggresive look, they have some slick lookin sidewalls, they pull pretty decent in the mud, but wear AMAZING on the street.
And i drive with a heavy foot, So that tells you something.
When the time comes, ill buy these tires again.
IF....I dont decide to roll with 38's
Old 10-30-2010, 05:16 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I say "pull pretty decent in mud",
Ive been up to the bottom of my doors in mud, so that should say something.
Just thought id throw that out there lol
If your looking for a good lookin mud terrain tire to run,
AND get a lot of mileage out of, id say the Discoverer STT's.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:44 AM

Another vote for the Hankooks. I have the A/T's on my F250 and they are really great tires. I went through discounttiredirect.com and got the free shipping.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Resto-noob
Another vote for the Hankooks. I have the A/T's on my F250 and they are really great tires. I went through discounttiredirect.com and got the free shipping.
Are you referring to the RF08? Mileage?
Old 10-30-2010, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by etc.
That tire has caught my eye. I like it. The ATM I guess stands for all terrain mud??? Do you know how they're wearing? Mileage?
he has about 10k on them and they still look brand new. i drove his truck on for acouple of days and i would buy them but they dont make a 32" tires...sad panda
Old 10-30-2010, 08:12 AM

Mine are the Dynapro MT RT03. I hope they continue to make these for a while or improve on them, because I don't need to try any other tires out, these do it all for me.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
check out the Federal Couragia M/T

i've never ran a set before, but guys run em on their pipeliner company trucks around here, say they get around 60,000 on a set if they treat em nice and keep em balanced, rotated, and aligned.

and they also do AMAZING in the mud, snow, rain, whatever you want to throw at them

sizes suck though..235/85R16 would prolly be what you want.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:31 AM
Contributing Member

Never had any kind of A/T other than the BFG's. Great tires, thought about changing to others but I figured if it aint broke...plus I think they're the coolest timeless looking off road tire out there...
I had almost bald A/Ts once and got caught in some super slick mud that I thought I wasn't going to get out of but I somehow made it out but I went to BFG M/Ts for a while but didn't like the ride or the noise when the tread started to get out of whack. I never drive in mud so I went back to the A/Ts and love them all over again.
I've gotten up to 50k on mine when keeping up with rotations and alignments.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
my BFG muds on the 4runnner are ALLLL KINDS of out of wack....and they still aint loud.

however i have no muffler right now....lol open exhaust
Old 10-30-2010, 09:37 AM

I also forgot to mention that the tire will have to withstand the summer heat of south Texas

My head is spinning with all these tire choices
Old 10-30-2010, 09:38 AM

a sas swap will help with that haha
Old 10-30-2010, 09:47 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Put 90K+ on my BFG AT KO's and they still have tread! Got me through many situations, and I'm sure there are other tires that have served people well.... I just love the lifetime warranty, roadside hazard and longevity, along with the capable wheeling I've done with them without taking in gashes into the sidewall, like some Coopers and a couple others that I've had have done.

The 31x10.50x15's a few posts back on my build thread in sig that you see? 90K, you can ask my buddy at the tire shop who put them on in 2002 and took them off just a month ago.

This is a REALLY hard choice, Etc., ..... I KNOW! LOL. I would recommend reading up on the road tests from 4wheelmag and others, ya know? They do test a lot of tires, and they explain where they work well and where they don't, etc.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Daily Driver/Weekend mud A/T Tire Recommendations