Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Daily Driver/Weekend mud A/T Tire Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 09:55 AM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
90k???? Geeezzzzuuussss you driving on sand the whole time
Old 10-30-2010, 10:00 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
No, and I have the papers where they took my miles when I bought them,(166K) and I just had them swapped out for another set, (257K)! I did do TONS of driving in the Sierras and Angeles Crest Fire Roads(pretty cush),...but no, hardly any sand driving! lol. I thought sand worked em pretty good though.... am I hearing wrong?
Old 10-30-2010, 12:33 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Get traction diffs and you can practically run any tire your little heart desires...

BFG's on open diffs will still get you stuck.

Limited slips or lockers with less aggressive tires will still <strike>go in more places<strike> get less stuck

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 10-30-2010 at 12:50 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
This is a REALLY hard choice, Etc., ..... I KNOW! LOL. I would recommend reading up on the road tests from 4wheelmag and others, ya know? They do test a lot of tires, and they explain where they work well and where they don't, etc.
I'm glad you can relate or understand

I've been reading about tires for the past three days and I think I have it narrowed down to a couple. I will continue reading as I want to be sure I know what I'm buying.

However, as much as I want the BFGs, I dont think I should. We have a wet season down here that can get very nasty and last for a little while.

And if it matters I have an E-Locker.

Last edited by etc.; 11-01-2010 at 12:05 AM.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:55 AM

My vote is for goodyear wrangler silent armour's. I've had BFG AT's before and wasn't really impressed. I think they get a little more hype than they deserve.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:11 AM

Thanks for the responses so far

Anybody have experience with wear dealing with the Toyo Open Country A/T?

I was talking with a buddy about tires, and he (without asking) talked to his friend that owns a tire shop. I can get the Toyos for ~$120 each out the door.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:05 PM

My reco is for BFG AT. I have had two sets and they get very good traction in all conditions, including wet and snow. The tread life is amazing! I like my BFG AT's very much. No question my next set of tires will be BFG ATs, why make an easy decision difficult?
Old 11-02-2010, 12:15 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Thats not bad at all for Toyo's,
I was just about to mention that the Toyo mud terrains and the Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains are the same exact thing you're just paying for the name brand.

Cooper Discoverer STT

Toyo MT's
Old 11-02-2010, 03:08 PM

go with bfgs, ive hed them on all my trucks and there awsome in tho snow, there alright in mud but its an a/t tire what do ya expect? there also pretty good in wet conditions. not to mention they last long.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:10 PM

I have wildcat A/t's they aren't super agressive but they work pretty good off road. On road they are quiet and seem to last pretty long. I'm no expert on tires though
Old 11-02-2010, 05:36 PM

I have the Toyo Open Country on my 4Runner and they have 70000 miles wore great and wheeled pretty decent for an all terrain. Will have to replace them before winter , was thinking about replacing with Toyo Mud Countrys but heard they do wear quicker. I will probably be selling in the spring anyway so I doubt they will wear out that quick. Toyos-I love 'em.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:44 PM

I ran some toyo m/ts on my taco for a while, and i mean a little while. they wore almost as fast as swampers... The BFG all terrains are a damn good all terrain as far as life goes.. My buddy has the dynatrack m/ts and so far they are holdin up really well.. I run the goodyear mt/r kevlars and they have been wearing very well so far.. Already had them as long as i had the toyo's and i would say they are running about 80% tread. The toyos had about 30-40% when i sold them..
Old 11-02-2010, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by etc.
Are you referring to the RF08? Mileage?
No, I have the RF10. 20K and I can't tell much wear if any. Then again, 10 ply tires can wear like iron. They have good road manners and are awesome in the snow. I have no idea how they are in the mud or for off roading, but I like them better than the three sets of BFG's I have owned.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:59 PM

I have the Toyo Open Country AT's on my 95 4runner (265/75/16) They are not a bad tire. As in I haven't had any major problems with them.
However I will not buy another set when I get ready to buy a new set. They are just not agressive enough in the mud and I was not impressed with the performance in the snow. They also --annoyingly pick up a bunch of little rocks in the tread -- Drives me nuts!
I REALLY like the Kelly Safari TSR/MSR tires. If I can get a price better than the Goodyear Wranglers I will buy them.
I had a set of BFG MT's previously and they are an AWESOME tire! I just cant live with the noise. As far as a do it all tire they have to be one of the best I have come across.
They lasted a good while -40K+ after that is was hard to keep them from wearing in funky patterns and they we're hard to keep balanced.
So thats what I know --
Old 11-02-2010, 10:11 PM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by HupDogDaddy
I have the Toyo Open Country AT's on my 95 4runner (265/75/16) They are not a bad tire. As in I haven't had any major problems with them.
However I will not buy another set when I get ready to buy a new set. They are just not agressive enough in the mud and I was not impressed with the performance in the snow. They also --annoyingly pick up a bunch of little rocks in the tread --
i will also agree with this! i had them before and there good on road tires but there not very mud or snow friendly tires.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:09 PM

This may be an obsurd question for the BFG A/T guys, but do you trust them enough in the rain for your family?

I have personally driven the BFG A/T in the rain, however in a much heavier SUV. I couldnt tell a difference in the rain, but at the same time I was taking it easy.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:27 AM

I would like to chime in as I work in a tire shop. I too have seen some high mileage bfg at. I think they hold up real well. I had a set before I went to mt. Toyo's are great tires. The toyo mt's balance the best out of all the mt's. 1.5 oz was the most it took to balanced out my friends 37 13.5 tires. I personally researched on tires forever as to which I wanted to run on my 81. Well I went with the 35 12.5 km2. They are not loud for a mt. Ride real well. And offroad I have gotten away with not having to air down yet to get through some good sized rocks nothing over 2 feet though, some stumps, and a few water crossing. I haven't had them in snow or mud yet. But they did great in the rain. As for mileage I only have 3k on them. Its not my dd. However my boss has a set on his f250 with 35,000 and still has about a 1/3 left for thread. I'm sold on the km2 if I wasn't going with them I would get the bfg at's they did well for me with whatever I threw at them. But with only 25 dollars a tires difference I went with the km2.

Good luck with choosing one. its hard with all the choices!
Old 11-04-2010, 09:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I found that I could stand any bfg tires I've owned. I'va had MT and AT, both 35x12x15. I run 22psi front and 19psi rear to get proper contact. This is with a rear locking diff. After hearing much praise from people with the AT I figured I would givem them a try. I thought it was the most over rated tire ever. It packs up in mud in a heart beat, spins in grass if its slightly uphill, wanders like crazy on gravel roads, sandy back roads with slow hills proved a problem, and has little grip on snow (real canadian snow. The roads are covered in 4 inches of packed snow/ice for 5 straight months) I wouldn't reccommend them. But they do ride smoothly on the road compared to mud tires. Although they may work just fine for city folks who rarely see all types of terrain. A mud tire is much more suited to all terrain types than an at tire is
Old 12-28-2010, 07:50 PM

hello, i wanted to say that i have bfg ko AT 265/70/16 stock size tire for my 98 limited 4runner. I'm a bfg guy but, i think it's time for me to try something new. It does not clear fast enough and i've noticed that i'd loose traction sometime here and there. That's being on northern maine roads and we just had storm with 40mph wind blizzard. I wanted to mention something from my exp. Dont let my comment let you down about the bfg tires. Check this out. I just bought my 4runner last year and it already had the bfg ko's on it. I remember that the odometer was at 93k and now i just hit 112k. Now, here's the thing. The whole time that i've been driving, these tires were rotted and cracked. Surprisingly i'm still driving around on them! I live in northern maine and i do alot of trail ride, sand pits, construction sites and these tires has gotten me through everything. Not to mention, i've ran over quite a few of screws and nails lol.

I'm about to pull the trigger on some hankook at rf10's. I've been doing alot of research and apparently i cant find anything that would beat this choice. I would love it for you to prove me wrong before i buy. I really did wanted something with mean aggressive look which turns out to be a MT tire. So ideally it's not perfect for where i am due to lengthy travel during wet seasons. Also, 50k mark on these hankook atm rf10 really caught my eye. I was just quoted 734$ installed with mount and balancing.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:30 AM

You'll love the Hankooks. Very good road manners and excellent in snow. I just went to discounttiredirect.com and punched in 4 at your size for $602 shipped. I had my dealer mount and balance mine, their techs had virtually no work to do otherwise. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: Daily Driver/Weekend mud A/T Tire Recommendations