Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

A couple of dumb questions,

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A couple of dumb questions,

Well first off, i took my diff out to give the pumpkin a good clean new fluid etc. But around the drain plug there were little shrouds of metal? I've been told this is normal, but how much is normal?

Another thing my fuel line coming for the tank to the carb has a small kink right by the firewall, along with some other hefty dents in it. Should i replace? Or leave it.. (im still getting gas flow)

Last thing, My gas gauge used to work.. now it doesnt and im tired of running out of gas I think maybe the float in the sending unit is seized? I checked all the wiring and it was fine.

Thanks,

- Newton
Old 06-15-2008, 08:20 PM

i heard that metal shavings in a diff is not a good sign so check the wear on your ring gear. I would repace the kinked lineand last definately check your float of just replace the gauge
Old 06-16-2008, 12:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 82greenbeast
Well first off, i took my diff out to give the pumpkin a good clean new fluid etc. But around the drain plug there were little shrouds of metal? I've been told this is normal, but how much is normal?

Another thing my fuel line coming for the tank to the carb has a small kink right by the firewall, along with some other hefty dents in it. Should i replace? Or leave it.. (im still getting gas flow)

Last thing, My gas gauge used to work.. now it doesnt and im tired of running out of gas I think maybe the float in the sending unit is seized? I checked all the wiring and it was fine.

Thanks,

- Newton
Shrouds of metal? If you mean OUTSIDE the diff then yes; that's normal. Toyota has those little metal rings around the drain plug to protect it from getting ripped out. Most serious rock crawlers get recessed plugs & shave the housing because that protective "shroud" hangs on rocks & can even get ripped off taking the drain plug with it!

The fuel line? Depends on how badly it's kinked & how badly you want to change it. If you have the time & money & it bothers you....change it. If it's affecting power....change it. If it leaks at the kink....change it. If none of those three things apply don't worry about it.

I'm not 100% sure about Toyota but most in tank fuel pumps have the float built onto it. They degrade over time & lose buoyancy (different types of floats lose it for different reasons but the outcome is the same). As far as I'm aware removing the pump assembly is the only way to fix it & if you go that far, my recommendation is to just get a new assembly. After all; why go through all that trouble to shade tree something together only to have it fail again prematurely?

that's my .02
Old 06-16-2008, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Brenjen
Shrouds of metal? If you mean OUTSIDE the diff then yes; that's normal. Toyota has those little metal rings around the drain plug to protect it from getting ripped out. Most serious rock crawlers get recessed plugs & shave the housing because that protective "shroud" hangs on rocks & can even get ripped off taking the drain plug with it!

The fuel line? Depends on how badly it's kinked & how badly you want to change it. If you have the time & money & it bothers you....change it. If it's affecting power....change it. If it leaks at the kink....change it. If none of those three things apply don't worry about it.

I'm not 100% sure about Toyota but most in tank fuel pumps have the float built onto it. They degrade over time & lose buoyancy (different types of floats lose it for different reasons but the outcome is the same). As far as I'm aware removing the pump assembly is the only way to fix it & if you go that far, my recommendation is to just get a new assembly. After all; why go through all that trouble to shade tree something together only to have it fail again prematurely?

that's my .02
The shrouds were inside the pumpkin, but onto of the darin plug at the bottom. And i think i will just put a new sending unit in, might as well i guess!

Thanks for the help guys!

-Newton