Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

81 toyota pickup 22r 4x4 4 speed

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 06:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
81 toyota pickup 22r 4x4 4 speed

hi guys, i'm new here. just came from the samurai world. lol. anyhow i just bought this 81 4x4 on ebay for $730. drove it 350 miles homes!!!

when i got home (yes somehow it made it) i got to looking.

first thing is it leaks oil so much it is a bio hazzard under the hood. i lost about a quart on way home. i looked for gasket sets on ebay but am confussed as to what all fits what yr. would an 84 or 85 22r be the same as my 81 22r?? can i change seals and gaskets with motor still in frame with out having to take the whole motor apart. (it runs great) i read where the rear seal can be changed when you drop the tranny. i found a thread on oil pump and it was helpful.

the tranny,,,makes a growling sound in 1,2, and 3, seems to go away in 4th. bad vibrations when coasting. shifter falls out of 1st gear when sitting at a light. i have to hold it in when taking off.(not good when wheeling) my friend has a tranny but is not divorced tcase, he said it will bolt in????

front axle,,,,makes a clunking noise when turning and locked in. front driveshaft can be rotated about a 1/4 turn before catching. too much back lash???

almost all of the vacume lines have been cut and plugged. it runs good but idles real high when it gets hot.

the left rear cab body mount is shot and 2 pcs of wood are holding up that corner.

i found a link to the fsm on the ncttora site but it did not show my 81

any help with any of these probs is greatly appreciated
Old 09-22-2008, 08:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On the motor, 84 and older are the same, 85 and newer are not. Now, some gaskets will interchange like the valve cover and so on, but there is a subtle difference between the motors, the older ones have a slightly taller deck. Some more info on the differences are here (about the 7th post down): http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84715

On pulling the motor, it depends on what seals... where is it leaking? Also, rear seal CAN be changed when you pull the tranny.

the growling noise in your tranny is most likely the countershaft bearing. (common failure, and not loaded in 4th, hence the sound going away)

bad vibrations when coasting is probably driveline or axle.... not too sure.

Shifter falling out, I'm assuming popping out of gear... probably a shifter seat. Do a search or check out marlin crawler for the shifter seat rebuild kit... obviously pop yours out to check it before buying a new one to make sure.

wait, your's has a divorced t-case? hmmm (I know more about the 84+ than the older ones, so you'll have to bear with me). I bet your buddy's tranny would work, it would just require some driveshaft work.

Clunking noise could be a lot of things... best advice is pull the shafts, check all the bearings, pull the 3rd while you have the axle shafts out, check everything out, fix anything broke or worn, put it back together, regrease/refill and enjoy.

on the vacuum lines.... good luck. I would think there would be a diagram under the hood, but it was only applicable before people started tinkering... I'm also not too keen on the carbs, so you'll have to get someone else to chime in to help ya there.

on the cab mount, bust out the torch and welder.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:17 PM

thanks for the link!!! i went about an hr deep in it,,followed other links and found the vacume line diagram. think i will live with the high idle for awhile lol

i need to power wash 12 yrs of gunk to find leak, oil is from the front back,,lol. mostly on left side.

i thought i read someplace the 5 speed had the common failure of the bearing but its a good place to start. i read that the shifter popping out could be the shifter fork wore bad. the shifter sheet is bad for sure. will try it first,,thanks.

today i got a whole spare front axle housing, diff, lockouts and all.
any idea how many different gear ratios came with the straight front axles?? not sure what yr it came from, it is trussed more than mine.
samurais had all the same stock gears, are the old toys the same??

thanks for the help!!!!
Old 09-22-2008, 03:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yukon6inchlift~ Live with the high idle, trust me. If the carb is factory toyota it,s not worth rebuliding it. A weber 32/32or34? carb would be the best thing you could do for the money. The gaskets sets are the same for the 22r and the 22re,s minus some stuff that you wont need. As for the leak, My guess right off is the valve cover gasket. When it gets old, it leaks like crazy. Also if it has that many miles on it, check the timeing chain when you have the valve cover off. If it's bad lose change it now before it eats through the cover. Im with colsoncj ,fix as much as you can on that axle. Check your gears when you have them out. There are two sets in those years, 4:10's and 4:37's. I don't think there are any more in those years? And last but not least check out you local parts store for some chevy body mounts, they might not fit exactly but they will work and they will have them in stock versus toy stuff. And also 1/4 trun on the drive shaff is OK.If I can help with any thing else let me know. Broomie..
Old 09-23-2008, 09:05 AM

thanks Broomie,, after digging i found that the 22r changed. there is a tall block. i think thats what i have. it said the timing chain is longer,,,so wouldnt the cover be longer and need a different gasket set??

also any tricks to getting the cone shape washers off the lockout hub studs?? and why the sam hill is that a stud and not a bolt!!!!!????? sami is bolts and cones can stay on. lol

how critical is that preload stuff for the front??

anybody install power steering on an 81 before??? i have 1 coming off a truck. no idea what yr

thanks again!!!!
Old 09-23-2008, 09:15 AM
Contributing Member

The timing chain is longer, the timing cover is longer, and sometimes the oil pump is different depending on single or double chain. And yes, the gasket is different for the timing cover...

cone washers... take and spray some PB blaster or the like on it, and tap on the center of the stud with a brass hammer or something similar while pushing on the hub to "pop" it out... worse comes to worse I've gently tapped on the edge of the aluminum hub body to pop them. REMEMBER to put antisieze on them when you install and you wont have that problem again.

preload.. dunno.

Powersteering... I wouldnt think it would be hard, but I've never done it.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:55 AM

thanks,,,thats what i thought on the gaskets. probably why there is a big difference in prices.

i have more than gently tapped on hub and did the striking the stud trick. the fsm said to open up the cone and that is destoying them.

will spray and soak another 24 hrs and hope!!! this thing is rusty bad!!
Old 09-23-2008, 11:00 AM
Contributing Member

I forgot about the splitting the washers... that actually works well... sometimes.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:52 PM

i got one side off finally. used a sharp screw driver and hammer to cut into the cone a lil and turned it like a screw. once i got a few out the rest came out by tapping the side. soaking helped alot

thanks fellas!!!
Old 09-23-2008, 06:14 PM
Contributing Member

glad it was some help, best of luck with your new toy! PM me if ya need anything else!
Old 09-23-2008, 06:49 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
for engine work, check out http://www.engnbldr.com/ he has a lot of great stuff and is VERY knowledgeable.

Don't be afraid to shoot him some emails. He will get you sorted out in no time