Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

22re power lag

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my friend had the same problem with the 2nd gear lag and idle surge when he applied the brake at a stop light. he bought a new TPS and everything is fine and dandy now!
Old 06-09-2010, 12:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oyah sounds like mine. I does it after any gear though and it surges when idleing too. If i hold the throttle at say 2000 it will go down then try an recover and overshoot 2000 then sputter out then back up exc... Im really leaning on tps but i dont understand why it threw a afm code? Im going to pull the codes again tomorrow to makes sure any idea how much a new tps is? Im going to try and adjust it.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:11 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 91_TOYOTA_4x4
Oyah sounds like mine. I does it after any gear though and it surges when idleing too. If i hold the throttle at say 2000 it will go down then try an recover and overshoot 2000 then sputter out then back up exc... Im really leaning on tps but i dont understand why it threw a afm code? Im going to pull the codes again tomorrow to makes sure any idea how much a new tps is? Im going to try and adjust it.
New TPS are around $220 from the delear or 175-190 at parts stores
Old 06-16-2010, 10:02 AM

i got a denso factory toyota one from car quest for $90... LC engineering also sells theirs for about the same.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:47 PM

Okkkk i tested the afm finally and for the first test everything looks good, then the second test when u move the flap was kinda weird lol. With the meter on it said 235 ohlms closed- supposed to be around 100 to 400 so that looked good, then it says to check that the ohlm between open flap and closed flap dont go over 1000 or down to around 20 ohlms. So from closed to full open it went up slowly then in around the middle it was jumping up and down to a max of 1800 ohlms at times, then at full open it went down to around 350 to 800 ohlms. So s my afm toaste or ok? Lol it says it shouldnt go past 1000 and it did, but it never droped below 200. I have 2 afms i tested and they where both about the same readings? What do you guys think, i need help haha
Old 06-25-2010, 01:00 PM

Right so i tested again and just jumps around from 1000 to 1400 from about 20% to 80% open, 100% being tye flap open all the way. From 80% to 100% it goes doen to around 300 ohlms, then from 0% to 20% it goes from 200 up to 900 like it should throughout the who flap range. And the funny thing is that when i drived it i could only use about a quarter throtle or it would sputter??? So are both my afms messed up? Lol
Old 06-26-2010, 05:54 PM

yeah i think both my afms i have are ok but its weird. i am currently trying to change the fuel filter which should be easy but toyota decided to put it in such an bad spot that its so hard for me to get the pce o crap out lol, then im hoping to get my exhaust leak worked out this week. so i will let you know
Old 06-29-2010, 09:56 PM

Hey kinda late but i finally did some things lol. Today i put my new fuel filter in and wow what a pain in the a** lol i noticed the old filter was a fram too, so i replaced it with a legit toyota one . Then i went on down to lordco and picked up a sheet of exhaust gasket maker. Cut and fit it then ised some rtv silicon to seal the deal. Thats gonna seal overnight then im gonna take her for a spin tomorrow. I hope this will be it but i know theres gonna be something else so if this doesnt work then its on to adjusting the tps and or a new o2 sensor lol so yeah a little of and update. I will try and let u guuys know how it worked out. Cheers
Old 07-06-2010, 07:57 PM

SO????? I am following this thread, how did the fix in the exhaust leak do?
keep up posted.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:07 PM

hey sorry ive been busy lol anyways it didnt help at all. still sputters and almost dies, sounds like a v8 when warming up because the idle jumps around so much. so i though i would mention that when i took it through aircare the reason i failed was because of the o2. it was at like 3900 something for o2 and the regular amount is like 270 :O so something is weird. so darkfairytails told me that its my o2 sensor because they blow easy when you have exhaust leaks. so looks like i need a new one again after i just bought one last year uhhhhh. can you clean or fix the o2 sensor in any way? lol im tight on cash??? anyways im 90% sure my o2 is shot, my afm i think is acting weird too, and my tps could use a tune but i dont want to touch it and mess it up so hmmm what do you guys think? need helps asap
Old 07-07-2010, 04:40 PM

I don't know anything about TPS or AFM's but I DO know that o2 sensors are extremely sensitive to silicone residue. I noticed you said you used RTV on your exhaust leak, just make sure there's not a bunch on excess thats gonna break loose and burn up your new sensor.

Last edited by rexandfx; 07-07-2010 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:24 PM

oyah the silicon would have helped it along for sure. man when i first re sealed the header you could smell it all day lol. by now though i think its good, so when i get a new o2, everything should be good i hope? went to lordco yesterday and they want $150 for a o2 so im not getting one for a while lmao anyways i read through some threads i found on here and in some other forums and it seems that when the o2 goes, it throws codes that the afm, and tps arent working right. which i got. then after replacing the o2 it all worked fine again? lol i guess the afm and tps cant work at all without the o2. anyways im going to see if i can get one this week

random question but how do you think my truck would do with pulling two jetskies up a mountain hwy in hot weather for 6 hours? i made the trip last year with no weight on the truck but this year i want to bring the jetskies and im questioning the idea haha
Old 07-15-2010, 02:12 PM

bump! i need some help here, im about to go drop 150 bucks on an o2 sensor and i hope it fixes this crap lol. anyways i thought i would mention that when my truck is cold, my truck seems to have normal power, kinda lol then after a min or less it starts to lag. and apparently the o2 sensor doesnt do anything until the engine is warm so it sounds more and more like a o2 right? anyways im gonna burn my truck to the ground if this o2 doesnt work lol so tried of this stupid engine...........................
Old 07-15-2010, 02:36 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Test the sensor (see FSM for procedure). No need to spend that kind of money on a sensor, the Denso sensors are under $60:
- http://www.densoproducts.com/resultsApp.asp
Old 07-15-2010, 03:12 PM

just went out and bought a sensor lol all around town they wanted ruffly the same price and i didnt want to order online so o well. now im just waiting for the exhaust to cool down because i already burnt myself haha anyways i will let yall know how she goes
Old 07-15-2010, 03:22 PM

I would put my money on the TPS. The O2 sensor leans the fuel at cruising speed open loop I believe, it does nothing when going through th gears as for what I have been told. When the TPS goes bad it might have a bad spot like say 1\4 throttle then once you get past that it will work fine. Try taking the truck up to 3000 RPM's or a little more and see if it does it at the same throttle position as it does around 2500 RPM's. You really need to test the TPS with a volt meter to find the dead spot. I have had a TPS go bad and it did exactly what you are describing. Good luck and TEST that TPS.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:23 PM

II WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! runs soooo good. and pulls really hard too haha like i actually shredded some tire lol so all is well and i am super fricken happy anyways thanks everyone for the help, i would never have though it would be the o2 in the end lol

thanks for the suggestion 854x4yota, i have been told about the tps and i almost thought about touching it but yeah it was the o2 haha
Old 07-15-2010, 05:57 PM

I hope it keeps running good for you, another guy on here had the same symptoms you were and he changed the o2 sensor and it fixed it for a short while then it started again within an hour drive. Good job though.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:10 PM

Your diagnostics should be an under the hood fuse box i would think my 4runner has all the directions on the bottom side of the hood above the fuse box then turn the key to run and watch the check engine light it will flash a sertain amount of times then pause then you write that number down and count again for the next number (---...-----...---...-----...) -= flash .=pause this would be 35 then you can look it up in a hanes manuel and it will tell you the fault i do this all the time very easy procces!
Old 07-15-2010, 06:30 PM

yeah i read about that 8r4x4yota, but im sure it should be fine because i had bad exhaust leaks before, and used silicon too which apperently wrecks o2 sensors and now i fixed all the leaks and its perfect, so it has the best chance at keeping the o2 working lol so yeah we will see but it runs amazing like really good.

oyah i did that sk8r89, it gave me the afm code, replaced my afm with a used one and no difference. then i researched about all this and found 3 people with the same problem as me and they got the afm code too, then they replaced the o2 and it works fine? so i guess the afm and tps cant work right without the o2 sensor, which makes sense.

so yeah now i need to reset my check engine light so it will go off???

Quick Reply: 22re power lag