Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

22re to 22r swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22re to 22r swap questions

Hello, Total newbie to this question, I looked on old threads but found much confusing information. I traded for a complete newly built 22R engine, the engine was in an '85 pick-up, has new LCE pistons,
LCE header kit, LCE cylinder head, Offenhauser manifold with weber 38 carb, LCE double row timing kit, crane ignition kit, new distributor, everything basically new and from LCE. I have an '87 4runner with EFI and a blown engine. I'd like to put the new engine in the 4runner but am wondering what mods will be necessary. Will the ECU from the 22re work with 22R, how different are the wiring harnesses? will the exhaust header routing that worked on the pick-up work on the 4runner?, does the '85 truck (solid axle) use same oil pan as 4runner engine?, do I have to exchange the coil/igniter set up for one from a 22r vehicle? If this is all a giant problem can I switch the EFI stuff over to the carb engine? My goal is to get things done with as little modification as possible. Vehicle will be driven mostly on country roads not serious off roading. TIA for any help/info you can provide.
Old 06-30-2019, 11:39 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Unless you are really set on a carburetor over fuel injection you should strip the sensors and manifolds off the EFI and put them on the long block.

If you're dead set on having a efi to carb conversion, one of Terry's threads covered this I good detail. I don't recall which thread, he was trying to solve a cherry manifold (to much heat in exhaust) problem.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:35 PM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts
If I was in this situation, I would want to know more about the LCE engine. The aftermarket ignition and the large Weber 38 carburetor makes me wonder what was done to the engine internally. If I were to keep EFI, I would want to make sure the engine was close enough to stock that the factory Engine Computer and sensors could handle the modifications done to the engine internally.

As Co_94_PU said, the easiest thing to do would be taking the LCE engine down to the long block, and attaching all of the EFI sensors, manifolds, etc.from your bad engine to the LCE engine, and just install the new engine in the 4Runner. The new engine would now be effectively a 22R-E

The engine wiring harnesses are completely different between the 22R and 22R-E. The factory 22R does not have an ECU, but instead has a small Emissions Computer, which you would not use if you have the Weber 38.

If you were to switch over to the carbureted set up, you would need a low pressure fuel pump (stock 22R was a mechanical pump driven off of the camshaft), a fuel pressure regulator for the Weber 38, wiring for your aftermarket ignition system (the 22R-E ignition system is computer controlled, but the 22R is not) and some other changes.

Old 07-01-2019, 05:56 AM

Hi, thanks for the response, sorry I'm slow but I was out all day and only get to use the computer when I'm home.
I guess I wasn't clear enough about the swap engine. Has LCE street head and basically oem spec internally it came from a carburetor truck so it already has mechanical fuel pump etc. I know easiest thing would be to swap out the intake manifolds but I hate to waste the carb set-up that he invested $1200.00 in. the engine was running like no 22R I've ever seen like it is. He swapped it out for a turbo engine after only putting a little over 2K miles on it. A lot of the old threads are unclear about whether the ECU needs to change, also same on wiring harness, some say all has to change others say it's only a matter of a few wires or plug connectors. Just hoping to hear from someone who's actually done it so I can decide which way to go.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:58 AM

Do you know specifically which thread? trying to get some input from someone who has done it before.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:25 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by nmsteve
Do you know specifically which thread? trying to get some input from someone who has done it before.
The engine harness is different, the computer is different, the rear harness is different (something other than the fuel pump wires, that's a given)..

To "just" make it work, you need to change the fuel tank pick-up, disconnect all the EFI, and rewire your tach.

I don't know the thread sorry, think it was misty's..