All Other Toyota Swaps I4, I6, Lexus V8

22RE to 3VZE and 3VZE to 22RE SWAP questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 02:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Question 22RE to 3VZE and 3VZE to 22RE SWAP questions

My dad has asked me about swaping him motors. He has a 93 Pickup with a 3VZE 3.0L V6/Automatic and he also has different gears in the rears (unknown but defintly not stock) it is lifted about 4" and has 32x11.50s (did have 35x12.50s). I have a 90 4Runner with a 22RE 4cyl/Automatic it has a header and is basicly stock minus the 2.5" lift.

I am only 16 and i really dont know a whole heck of alot about motor swaps so anything will help!
My questions are:

1) will we need to swap motor mounts or are they the same?
2) are the transmissions and t-cases the same?
3) are the trans and/or t-case crossmembers in the same place on a V6 truck and a 4cyl 4Runner?
3) are the rears different minus the gears? also what gears do i have in the 4runner?
4) is the length of the complete drivetrain the same for driveshaft purposes?
5) lastly have i over looked any major parts that would need to be addressed?

i really appreciate all of the helpful info you guys have given me in previous posts so keep up the good work and help me with this delemia!
Old 01-03-2006, 03:03 PM

Bump

Help Me Out Here Folks!! Please!!!!
Old 01-03-2006, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The motor mounts are not the same.

The transmissions may be the same, but I don't think the transfer cases are the same.

I don't know if the cross members are in the same place. You can measure that easily enough.

There are differences in the differentials other than gearing ratio; the V6s are a little beefier, but shouldn't affect the swap at all.

You can measure the drivelines as well.

Why does your dad want to do this anyway?
Old 01-03-2006, 03:48 PM
Contributing Member

Wow, that's wild! I just signed on to post a very similar question! I have an 88 Runner with a bad 3.0 and a 89 truck with a great 22RE. Both are 5-speeds. I want to put the 22RE into the 88 Runner, as it's in better shape than the pickup. Can anyone give me info on doing this? Mounting? Harnesses different? Change ECU too?, etc.. Thanks and sorry to hijack.

I can answer part of your question though. Write down the info on your door plate, then go here
That should tell you what the gearing was when the truck came off the line.
Old 01-03-2006, 04:55 PM

Different motor mounts, different trannies, different a lot of things.

The 3VZE to 22RE is kinda understandable, but don't waste time on swapping a 3VZE into anything. There have been many threads about this, if you search you'll find them, and you'll have plenty of reading as to why not to do this swap.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:49 PM
Contributing Member

Can someone tell me specifically what would need to be changed to put the 22RE into the 88 Runner? After the work I've done to it, and the ease of tearing down / building up, gas mileage, etc, etc... I (personally) wouldn't have any other engine, but my current truck is going to require plenty of body work if I'm going to keep it.

Don't mean to step on toes 4banginRunner. It just seems stupid for me to start a new thread, when this one is already running. I've searched for both swaps, and I haven't found anything on going from 3.0 to 22RE, only vice versa.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:51 PM

the reason my dad wants to swap is b/c he has had toyota p/u's forever and has always had the 4cyl models and thats all he wanted so no that i have a 22RE and since he has the 3VZE and i need more power he brought up the idea of a swap
and yes i have read a bunch of threads about wasting time with the 3VZE but what
else is there that would be a VERY cheap swap with REALIABLE power with decent gas mileage without changing my whole drivetrain to something other than toyota
i know about 350 , 302 and even 4.3L swaps and the all have cooling problems no matter what you do.

i would really like to keep it TOYOTA but if a chevy/ford v6/v8 swap is cheap and easy enough that might be considered but are highly unlikely

has anyone ever done this swap before ??
info would be great
Old 01-03-2006, 06:01 PM
Contributing Member

Or go for a better option.

Since you have the 22RE mounts already, just find a 2L-II Toyota Diesel Engine and drop it in.

Then just sell the 3VZE for scrap.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:11 PM

good idea irott , i am not really familiar with Toyota Diesels, what years were they in the p/u's
what other things would i need to convert over to diesel?
also what kind of power are they putting out?
i'm not lookin for a "big block" but something that will have a little bit of balls to it

anyone have any input on Toyota Diesels??
Old 01-03-2006, 08:53 PM
Contributing Member

Check out:

Toyota Diesel Madness

All the info you would want to know about swaping in a Diesel for a 22RE is there.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:17 AM

My 2c...

If he doesnt want the 3vze (understandable) swap it out for a 3.4L 5vzfe.

If you dont want the 22re, its gonna be a custom swap either way, so you might as well go with a 3.4L 5vzfe as well.

The power ratings are:

22RE - 116hp -- 140tq
3VZE - 150hp -- 180tq
5VZFE - 190hp -- 220tq

Also, the 5VZFE has an optional TRD supercharger available. This is quite expensive, but is an option for more power.

The 5vzfe is a direct swap into the 3vze, it bolts directly up to the motor mounts, bolts directly up to the R150F 5-speed tranny. Not too sure about the automatic.

Here is a link to one of many writeups for this swap:
http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showfl...=&fpart=1&vc=1

Do a search on the swap, and i garauntee you info is there. It is all over yotatech as well as 4x4wire, and other forums.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:28 AM
Contributing Member

Anyone have any answers to my questions? I "have" searched on this, but didn't find what I needed. And no, I'm not interested in doing a 2.7 or 3.4 swap instead.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:48 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Jovis
Anyone have any answers to my questions? I "have" searched on this, but didn't find what I needed. And no, I'm not interested in doing a 2.7 or 3.4 swap instead.
The 3VZE has different motor mounts so it wont just "drop in". Different wiring drivetrain and everything. It might be a better idea to try and buy another 22RE 1st Gen instead of going through the trouble of swaping into your 88.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:42 PM

IROTT had it right

GOTO toyota diesel madness. Putting a 22re into a v6 4runner has the same problems as putting the 2LT series diesels into the v6 runners.
Anything pertaining to 2LT's into V6's should answer any of your ???'s JOVIS.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This comes up all the time and I understand why it comes up but both of your swap options are pretty silly if you think it through.

22re is a solid, proven motor that will go for ever if maintained but is a bit anemic ,for the cost of a complete 3vze, tranny and harness you can build a 22re that has the same amount of power as the 3vze, requires less work to install and will likely last longer.

3vze isn't a powerhouse either but has a lot more get up and go then a 2.4 going from the 6 to the 4 might buy you some dependability but at the cost of power so your really taking a step backwards for a lot of work.

If you've got a 22re then I'd swap in a supra engine, lots of power and it bolts up to your tranny.

If you've got a 3vze and you want more, then the 3.4 is the all around best choice. Do some research here and on 4x4wire.com.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:37 PM
Contributing Member

A 5M/7M-GE swap is a good option... lots of HP and Torque. Bellhousing mates up.

2L-II is another good option... Toyota Diesels are amazing. Its just a little more work on finding parts. Still an easy drop in bolting directly to the transmission.

Forget the 3VZE, it will cause more problems in the longrun.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by irott
Forget the 3VZE, it will cause more problems in the longrun.
that's not necessarily a fair statement. 3.0's can run forever, just like the 22re, but they do get a bad rap for the HG issue. Personally, I really like the 3.0 - one of the smoothest running engines Toyota has ever built.

To answer the OP's questions - you're insane. Seriously, it's not worth all of the work that you're thinking of going through to make it happen.

Motor mounts, all hoses under the hood, wiring harness, exhaust, fuel lines, tach issues, etc. It's not a freebie; you'll end up spending money doing both swaps.

If your Dad wants more power and economy, he should look into a 3.4. HOWEVER, it will take a long time to pay off that swap. Another option is the 3RZ 4-cyl... But to be honest, the cheapest option will be to sell his truck and replace it with the truck he REALLY wants.

For you, it's the same situation. A 3rz or 3.4 swap is the way to go, but spendy.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by irott
...Forget the 3VZE, it will cause more problems in the longrun.
Long run being what? 100,000? Maybe 150,000 miles? 200,000 or maybe even 250,000?

Mine currently has 276,000 on the clock and is getting cams soon... 210,000 of those miles have been driven like it's been stolen. Grab the correct 3vze and you wont have any issues...Grab the wrong one and yall will be doing HG's inside of 30k. Do the HG's incorrectly and youll be doing em again in 5k or less...lol They are finiky suckers...

88-91 3vze's should be just dandy as well as 95 to 95.5... The years btwn be leery of...

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 01-04-2006 at 09:09 PM.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:10 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah.. Mine is almost to 160k and still running strong.

I was just saying in terms of swaping. Although, once you get the engine out its much easier to work on.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:18 PM

3vze automatic problems

Hey guys i have a 1990 toyota v6 auto and i seem to be having a problem with it going into over drive. Everything has been check out but it has some sort of a shift block if it is not warm enough. It just doesnt seem to hold that temp when your running down the highway and it downshifts. I've done just about everything, radiator, waterpump, fan clutch, temp sensors and switches, hand full of thermostats. I've hit a dead end and its a great little truck any idea's guys?

Quick Reply: 22RE to 3VZE and 3VZE to 22RE SWAP questions