86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

ZUK mod flex issues???

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ZUK mod flex issues???

took the runner out for the first time today after an ownership of just two months, just finished a 3.0 rebuild. i have the 12'' x 150 lb black magic springs to get me back up to normal ride height. today while wheeling my buddy noticed that im not getting the full flex outta the rears (probably why i had some trouble in some spots, stupid open diffs...) has anyone had a problem wheeling with the springs? did i mess up by using the 150 pounders instead of the 125-ers that most everyone else uses?

just for fun, couple pics from today:

to those who live in So. AZ this is FSR 4417, en route to Chiva Falls, got to the top of three feathers and had to turn back due to time.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:19 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The ZUK mod is only a bandaid fix that`s used to fix sagging rear springs, its not going to help you flex any better. If you want more flex you need to replace the stock springs with something better.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:25 AM

Nice pics though. I bet a lot of Canadians and people under 2 feet of snow in the Midwest are drooling over that magnificent snow-free weather you're having in AZ. Lucky SOB.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by peckinpah
Nice pics though. I bet a lot of Canadians and people under 2 feet of snow in the Midwest are drooling over that magnificent snow-free weather you're having in AZ. Lucky SOB.
Oh yeah it looks good for me and we dont even have snow up here. Cant wait till it warms up
Old 02-05-2011, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by peckinpah
I live in Maine and we just got blasted with 15 inches 3 days ago and have another 12 inches coming tonight! I plow with my yota but am wishing your weather comes soon!
Old 02-05-2011, 08:50 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Were your shocks maxed out? Could be this.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:33 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by highonpottery
Were your shocks maxed out? Could be this.
Highly unlikely.

Unless you BOLTED the springs over your bumpstops and BOLTED the springs onto your frame, would they limit droop.
If you did, and your springs are too heavy a weight, then I could see this being a problem.
Even my truck with stock shocks, and aals has better droop then that.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:09 PM

hahaha it was like 70 degrees when we were wheelin...i even got sunburnt haha.

and the springs are not bolted so they shouldnt limit droop, i'll pull the shocks off and see how long they are fully extended, they are aftermarket, (however i havent washed them off to see if i can tell what brand) so the PO might have messed up there.

my buddys Nissan hardbody went through everything like it was level ground, hes got 31's and a two inch lift (but its still lower than the 4runner haha!) his tires barely left the ground!

i think i'll be SASin her this summer so new leaf packs will be in store
Old 02-05-2011, 01:59 PM

Your flex is not normal. 14 inch x 150 lbs.

Last edited by barrel roll; 02-05-2011 at 02:11 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:05 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
az_eaglescout_pilot you don't happen to have procomp shocks do you?
Old 02-05-2011, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
az_eaglescout_pilot you don't happen to have procomp shocks do you?
I have no idea, I'm at work till mid-night so I will check tomorrow morning...is there something about pro-comps that I should know?
Old 02-05-2011, 03:44 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
I've always thought my rear shocks (pro-comp ES3000's) were to short. When my rear droops when on a vehicle lift the springs don't seem to droop as much as I think they should. No ZUK mod or anything just factory flat springs. My shackles only go so far as to end up like this: | | when I think they should go like this: / /. But I could be wrong.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The coils don't really offer any more flex. You're rear axle will only droop as much as the leaf springs allow. The coils do limit the upward travel of the axle a little due to the compression of the coil. I have 14" 125lbers on my 89. I must say though that not hitting the bump-stops on the compression side makes it easier to crawl over things since the body isn't being shoved due to the leaf springs hitting the bump-stops.

The biggest benefit from the ZUK mod is two fold.
1) You get rid of that sag in the back end.
2) You gain better payload capacity.

Oh and it rides a hell of a lot better than before.

The ZUK mod isn't a "hard core offroad" mod although it does help in some situations.

When I did mine on the runner we used a forklift to flex the rear end and I got about .5" more droop past the shocks limit (pulled the shocks to check) and less compression. I think it's a win-win since I have the ability to haul more camping gear and not ride like a sled up the trails.

Last edited by Junkers88; 02-05-2011 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:15 PM

Here's my full droop. I'm using Land Rover coils which gave it 3-4" lift. Also running Rough Country lift shocks that won't bottom out even with the rear completely in the air on a lift. I have more issues with compression because they're designed to lift such a heavy vehicle. I'm considering cutting a coil or two. As stated before, the Zuk mod is not for hardcore offroading, but provides an even lift while improving weight capacity, and is much safer than blocks

Last edited by InvaderTrax; 02-05-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:18 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by az_eaglescout_pilot
took the runner out for the first time today after an ownership of just two months, just finished a 3.0 rebuild. i have the 12'' x 150 lb black magic springs to get me back up to normal ride height. today while wheeling my buddy noticed that im not getting the full flex outta the rears (probably why i had some trouble in some spots, stupid open diffs...) has anyone had a problem wheeling with the springs? did i mess up by using the 150 pounders instead of the 125-ers that most everyone else uses?

just for fun, couple pics from today:

to those who live in So. AZ this is FSR 4417, en route to Chiva Falls, got to the top of three feathers and had to turn back due to time.

Hi eaglescout-
That looks like the 3rd way into Chiva?......where you have to go by the wind mill? Been a long time since I went that way. Beautiful country.

It looks like a little more rear lift would look ok.....I'd like to see you try the 14" x 100 pounders.
Also, I assume you still have the stock leafpacks with the factory overload springboard so if you were to do something like what I did here https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...f-leaf-225251/ then you might be pleasantly surprised with the results. Food for thought...
ZUK
Old 02-06-2011, 09:22 AM

I have the 14" 100LB coils, they are nice, smoothed out the ride and im not sure how well they flex, i havent gotten out to look at them while wheelin. Is it bad that i have coils and blocks
Old 02-06-2011, 09:45 AM

junkers--i did the springs for the same reasons as you, i used 150lbers because i will prolly be towing a small boat or a trailer with a quad in as well as camping gear in the runner, and it rides SOOOO much better with it ZUKed.

ZUK--ive only gone in two different ways, theres the first one with the parking lot near the entrance, then there is 4417 which is not too far past the ranch entrance/road to chimney rock, i dont remember a windmill. the picture that you quoted is after all the trail meet together for the last knarly stretch into the falls.

i wont be able to get underneath the runner today(superbowl parties haha GO PACKERS), i'll give it a lookie loo tomorrow and update you guys on what i find.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:50 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Before doing anything I would take the shocks off and flex it out again.
I'd bet they are the limiting factor.

I just don't see how the coils could limit droop even if they were bolted to the axle and the frame. Those things will droop especially with the weight of a tire and axle under it.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:53 AM

^^ thats what i was thinking, considering all the other things the PO did i wouldn't be surprised to find that the shocks are not the correct lengths, i'm slowly working through the runner and fixing all his mistakes, first one was the motor...ran it completely out of oil then just poured more in a kept going, screwed everything up...
Old 02-06-2011, 10:30 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
OK...I was thinking that might be the 3rd way in....so you went the 2nd way. As shown on this really well used Reddington map.....3 feathers is on the left(main way in)...Bolota ranch/Chimney Rock turn-off is at the very top center of the map and the 2nd way in is shortly after that point.....3rd way is 1 mile past the 2nd way on the right edge of map....it heads south thru some interesting terrain and goes into the streambed where the wind mill is. There can be some dangerous waters in that stream during monsoons.

Last edited by ZUK; 02-06-2011 at 10:38 AM.

Quick Reply: ZUK mod flex issues???